• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Request for help identifying this Aubercy Exotic Shoe Leather, please.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am usually very good when it comes to identifying shoe leather, but honestly, I have no idea what these are made of. Aubercy Captoe derbies. EXTREMELY soft leather. More so than regular calf.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just a guess: it might be camel leather.

http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2014/04/camel-the-new-exotic-by-corthay.html

The quarters look like the camel leather I know, the vamp has a much coarser texture, But maybe the Corthay shoes are baby-camel while Aubercy uses a fully grown beast and certain sections (belly or hump) develop some kind of stretch marks as the animal grows to its full size.

Your best bet might be to contact Aubercy.

shoefan

Reaction score
I look forward to finding out what the answer is!

To my eye, the quarters look most like shark, but the vamps I really have no idea. They vamps look to have almost a scale-like appearance, in that way similar to croc/alligator, but the scales being almost entirely pulled out on the toe cap would perhaps argue to the contrary, sort of as if the scales are an embossed feature. Also, those toe caps have the 'dots' that could be the result of hair follicles, which reptiles seemingly wouldn't have, so .....

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im 90% sure it
is peccary
from the hair
follicles
to the way the leather
wrinkles at the quarters
and the description
of its softness

someone poasted
a proposal for a bonafe
bal boot
with peccary shaft
and you can see teh
same type of wrinkling

it is the reason
i think peccary is
a terrible leather to
make a pair of shoes
with

mhdena

Reaction score
Looks like Peccary to me, I have a few Moreschi with that leather.

Peccary is Boar skin, soft limb email deer but more durable.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! I finally got to look at this, as the marketing project I have been inundated with is finally finishing up. These are a real mystery to me, as I have handled just about every shoe-making exotic out there. Definitely not shark, camel or peccary (no actual hair follicles) and they aren't a reptile because they aren't actual "scales", but rather a texture in the leather.

I plan to send a pic to Aubercy and see what they say. I checked their site, but cannot find an e-mail address. Does anyone know of one? Thanks Again.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guessing...but I'd go with peccary--at least till a real one comes along.:crackup:

Doesn't look like any shark or camel that I've ever dealt with but that don't signify.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikesusan12