• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ doesnt really answer your question, but I just picked up the chestnuts and hit it with clear Dr Marten wonder balsam which *I think* is similar to natural sno-seal, it deepened the otherwise dull and matte leather of new chestnut, then I polished over with brown kiwi and it gave the boot some color depth without changing the actual color, just deepened it

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Natural sno-seal worked great on my 9011. Dr. Martens WB and Obenaufs LP are a bit easier to apply, but probably need to be applied more often to keep maximum water resistance (I have all three and use them interchangeably, heh).

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by percypersimmon
Hey everybody,

I've lurked for a while, and read every single reply on this thread, and finally pulled the trigger on an 8.5 GTs in the Black Cherry. I won't chime in with sizing questions
smile.gif

Just wanted to give you a heads up that I found them below $200 @ papashoes.com. The list is $210 and some change but if you sign up for their email list they give you a 10% promo code. The best price I could find...just wanted to thank all of you for all the great information.

Thanks for that tip, I never thought to look there but they had some black cherry GTs in my size available and for $190 and free shipping I couldn't pass them up. Will be a nice snowy weather boot alongside my Katahdins.

percypersimmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
Will be a nice snowy weather boot alongside my Katahdins.

How are the Katahdins for snow? I had considered those as well, but wasn't sure if they'd be able to cope with the Minnesota winters...

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have been great. A few healthy coats of Obenauf's and mine survived last winter in fine form. I love those boots and still occasionally choose to wear them over my Aldens.

ridders

Reaction score
hi all been lurking for some time, thanks everyone for your advice! I have Katahdins as well as GT's (though i'm selling the GT's)--

Slide13-do you have any pics of the Katahdin's with the LP on them? i've been tempted to hit them with it, but haven't followed through.

thanks

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know this noob questions should be on the other thread, but has to do with weather proofing:

any, know where to buy Obenauf in NYC? i checked out a few cobbler store in the city, but they only got the [Lexar?] brand. don't know if thet're any good. in the meantime, i've used the left over White's leather preservative [that came with the Smoke Jumper] to prep my black Indys... that cool or i screwed up?

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a shot after applying a coat of Obenauf's. After a few weeks, especially in the snow during the winter, they tend to dry up a little and not be quite so dark.

dsc2396n.jpg

ridders

Reaction score
Wow those look great-I'll have to consider that for this winter (especially if it's as bad as everyone seems to think it will be.

Semi-off topic: So the other day I pulled the trigger on some Black Iron Rangers from Zappos (8114's) I had initially tried to get them from Baker's Shoes but their (always helpful) staff informed me that they were out of stock in my wee-little size and that RW was not planning on running this color again. Semi-panicked I ordered one of the last 2 pairs from Zappos (if you believe their web system).

The arrived and are all i had hoped and expected, except for one thing: the sole on the Zappos pair is all black, where as all the other pics i saw around the 'Net have the red/copper layer between the bottom and the leather...

I can't say i was misled, the Zappos pic clearly has the boot i received, and i think i like this style better, but it's just sort of strange.

At any rate I wore them to work today so i guess i'm committed to keeping them. They are much more comfortable out of the box than my GT's. I imagine b/c of the all rubber sole...

Ge Fuzz

Reaction score
I stopped by my local Redwings store. Of course they don't carry any of the heritage collection. I showed the guy my GTs I was wearing and he was really impressed. He actually said, "I never said this before about a boot but those are beautiful" lol...Then he remembered a new catalogue that a rep had just gave him recently and we looked through and sure enough there was the heritage line. He said he could order any pair with no obligation from me so I told him to order a pair of GTs in Chestnut. My GTs are size 8 with a little heel slippage so I want to see if 7.5s will fit better. He said they'll be in, in a few days.

The guy was pretty cool. I explained to him that the heritage line is more a fashion boot than a work boot but they should stock them because they would sell. The price was like $290 but I said I paid $240 for mine off zappos and so he gave me a 15% discount so around $244 I think it was.

Anyway, at least they are starting to come around to the idea that people like these boots. What was it 2 years ago only Germany sold these made in the US boots? WTF.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my GTs the other day. Ordered them through Papa Shoe but they drop shipped straight from Red Wing. Overall I think I'm really going to like them. Quality and finishing is pretty good and for $190 the are a good deal. Also, the color is really impressive in person.

dsc2455.jpg

dsc2457.jpg

Oddly one boot has leather that looks very different between the right and left side inside....outside matches fine though. Lighter color side is slightly rougher texture so I'm guessing it just didn't take the dye. No biggie and shouldn't cause a problem I don't think.
dsc2459v.jpg

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
plain ol' black cherry...shot with a flash though, they are a little darker in person I think under normal room lighting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads