1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by imstr8trippin, May 15, 2008.

1. imstr8trippin

imstr8trippin Well-Known Member

Have these and lovin them....but.....

I managed to get a small "gouge" in the leather on the hard part of the heel. Dont know how I did it, as I've only worn them 3 times so far. But, anyway, it's there...

It seems as though the toe box and heel are highly susceptible to this. Is this common for boots? This is actually my first boot, so I dont know.

How should I go about covering up? Dark Red/BurgandyPolish (they are cherry black)? Is it enough to make a fuss with RW about, as I thought these boots would be tougher than this...

2. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Well-Known Member

It's normal for the leather to get scuffed with wear but I've also noticed that my Red Wings tend to scratch easier than most shoes. It must have to do with the type of leather (Chromexcel). I couldn't find any information, but I'm thinking that maybe the leather they use for the GTs is softer in order to be comfortable while still very thick.

I use Kiwi cordovan polish and it works well. Just apply thin coats regularly and they'll look great for a long time.

3. braidkid

braidkid Well-Known Member

It depends how deep and noticable the gouge is. Same thing recently happened to my Tricker Burford's. I lightly sanded the area down with 400 sandpaper then found a leather dye that matched close to apply in the area. My cobbler then lightly sprayed over the area with leather dye and it's not even noticable anymore.

4. imstr8trippin

it's deep enough to take off part of the top layer and expose the oak coloured leather underneath.

i hate to say it, but i'm extremely disappointed. i expected much more durability from these boots. guess i'll just have to find a polish to match the colour of the boots and go from there.

is it a no-no to polish waterproof leather? i believe the GTs are waterproof.

5. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

Surprised to hear this. I have a pair of GTs and have worn them hundreds of times. There are some scratches on the leather which is expected but nothing like you have described. You must have hit it off something really sharp and jagged to do that to your boot. I wouldn't say that the boots arent durable. This could happen to any leather.

6. imstr8trippin

perhaps it was just a freak accident. although, i have no idea how it would have happened. time will tell how these hold up, i guess.

7. stickonatree

stickonatree Well-Known Member

it's deep enough to take off part of the top layer and expose the oak coloured leather underneath.

i hate to say it, but i'm extremely disappointed. i expected much more durability from these boots. guess i'll just have to find a polish to match the colour of the boots and go from there.

is it a no-no to polish waterproof leather? i believe the GTs are waterproof.

durability doesn't mean that the leather doesn't scratch, it means the CONSTRUCTION of the boots is well done. what do you expect, leather made out of steel? soft leather is actually desirable in many leather products, including shoes, ya?

fwiw i myself own the same boots, and have never had a problem with the leather scratching (although it does seem to attract dust fairly easily). other than using kiwi cordovan wax/cream, make sure to condition the leather and use a low shine/matte polish/wax (multiple layers) to keep those future trouble spots from easily scratching again.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I polish mine (black and blackcherry) all the time, no ill side effects. The only leather I know of that you shouldnt polish much is cordovan, which these arent, altho they're made from Horween leather (who supplies cordovan)

9. imstr8trippin

durability doesn't mean that the leather doesn't scratch, it means the CONSTRUCTION of the boots is well done. what do you expect, leather made out of steel? soft leather is actually desirable in many leather products, including shoes, ya?

fwiw i myself own the same boots, and have never had a problem with the leather scratching (although it does seem to attract dust fairly easily). other than using kiwi cordovan wax/cream, make sure to condition the leather and use a low shine/matte polish/wax (multiple layers) to keep those future trouble spots from easily scratching again.

i didnt know what to expect. people always rant and rave about red wings durability. i assumed leather was included. i knew they'd get injured at some point. just didnt think it'd be so soon. anyway, i'll try to pick up some polish this weekend and see what i can do.

10. braidkid

braidkid Well-Known Member

I polish mine (black and blackcherry) all the time, no ill side effects. The only leather I know of that you shouldnt polish much is cordovan, which these arent, altho they're made from Horween leather (who supplies cordovan)

Interesting, I didnt know Horween supplied leather for RW's. Should be a high quality leather then.

imstr8trippin, do as I suggested....get some super fine sand paper (400) and sand just that area. Then find a leather dye that matches. You may need to mix dyes to find the correct shade.

Shoe polish doesn't contain enough dye to do the trick. If you do go the shoe polish route, you'll need to use a color darker than the color of the boot.

11. morse9443

morse9443 Well-Known Member

12. Garage/Surf Rock

Garage/Surf Rock Well-Known Member

Red Wing boots are supposed to be durable, but I don't think the GTs are really classified as work boots. They are a kind of tough dress shoe for "gentlemen travelers."

13. morse9443

morse9443 Well-Known Member

Red Wing boots are supposed to be durable, but I don't think the GTs are really classified as work boots. They are a kind of tough dress shoe for "gentlemen travelers."

Get it? Gentleman travelers? Seriously, I've had a million leather boots with varying degrees of gouges and scratches in them. You just have to do your best to fill the hole[​IMG] and make the wound show at little as possible.

14. erdawe

erdawe Well-Known Member

Has anyone let their GT's age and develop patina? Or do these only look good all polished up and well kept?

I was considering purchasing a pair in black cherry, but these need to be treated like a dress shoes to get them to look good I may reconsider.

15. ataru

ataru Well-Known Member

i use obenaufs with my brandos and it's never failed to clean up scuffs and gouges nicely with the help of a little elbow grease

16. imstr8trippin

i picked up some cordovan polish and it's covered up the gouge beautifully. there is still a small indent there, but the colour match is good.

other questions
    - how often am i going to have to touch up the gouge? does the pigments from the polish eventually work into the leather over time?
    - does it make sense to polish these (or any shoes, for that matter) when new for some extra protection?
    - does anyone use the red wing suggested mink oil for waterproof leather?
    - if not mink oil then cream polish? and why one or the other?

17. cmrocks

cmrocks Well-Known Member

I just got my Black Cherry GTs in the other day. I'm planning on using the conditioner that they recommend and not polishing them. I really want them to get that distressed look. I think it would suit the style of boot better.

For what I'm after, is simple leather conditioner the best or should I be using something else?

Awesome boots by the way. I love them so far.

18. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

Are GTs available more widely yet? Last time I checked they were in the computer of my local RW store, but with no scheduled ship date. Just pending...

19. skunkworks

skunkworks Well-Known Member

Tarmac -- there's a thread in the Streetwear B&S forum with a link to an online store for sub $200 GTs. You may want to look in there.

20. imstr8trippin

Tarmac -- there's a thread in the Streetwear B&S forum with a link to an online store for sub $200 GTs. You may want to look in there.

cultizm.com