• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i bought a duck

what should i do with it? break it down? roast it whole? what's the best way to save the duck fat?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I bought 15 lamb rib chops. I am going to pound the eyes a little thinner and fry them in parmesan batter. Should I trim the thick layer of fat off the bone?
713cdc07.jpg
I was thinking of trimming them to look more like this:
lambribfrenched.jpg

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i bought a duck what should i do with it? break it down? roast it whole? what's the best way to save the duck fat?
It's probably more festive to roast it whole. But I would break it down. I did one last night with a friend that loves duck. We ate the breasts while the legs were braising, and then ate those with a salad. For the fat, just save all the skin and trimmings, give them a coarse chop, put them in a pan with a little water, and render on low heat for about an hour.
I bought 15 lamb rib chops. I am going to pound the eyes a little thinner and fry them in parmesan batter. Should I trim the thick layer of fat off the bone?
713cdc07.jpg
I was thinking of trimming them to look more like this:
lambribfrenched.jpg
I'd french and trim off as much fat as possible. Since you're frying them, you'd overcook the meat by the time you rendered all the fat. Or, you could place the lamb fat side down first on low heat to crisp. But since you are doing a parmesan crust, I think it would just be easier to trim most of it off.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks. i'll break it down, render fat with leftovers and use bones to make stock

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can't really roast a duck whole to medium and eat the whole thing. The three solutions are to roast it slowly until it is tender but done, to cut it up and do as mm suggests, and to roast it to medium in the breast, cut them off and eat them, and broil the legs. The last is my favorite, and I like to brush the legs with mustard before broiling and then have it with a salad, but each gives a nice result. I just like roasting birds whole.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i broke it down and cooked things separately. i mistimed it still and the breasts were overcooked and the legs undercooked. i think next time do what you said. roast it whole, cut off the breasts while the legs cook. also i need a thermometer

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Is Clicquot any good?

I don't really like VC, tastes sulfuric - but sometimes (often?) it's the only champagne they'll have in a shop. It's better than having no champagne at all... :eek:

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My $.02 is that lamb + butter + parmesan is overkill. I prefer lamb with herbs and something acidic like lemon or pomegranate. Olives and capers also appeal to me as counterpoints to the richness.

But how did the chops turn out?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

I don't really like VC, tastes sulfuric - but sometimes (often?) it's the only champagne they'll have in a shop. It's better than having no champagne at all... :eek:

Disagree. VC sucks. Way overpriced. I'd drink Cava, Prosecco, a Cremant, or, if God is shining down on me a Franciacorta way before id drink ****** Champagne.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any experience with ceramic non stick pans? Actually haven't heard of it until now. It seems like it is less vulnerable to abrasion than a teflon one (i.e. scrubbing metal in the pan). Does this also indicate they have a much longer durability in general?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads