• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the Robuchon one, not Ducasse.

Do you mean the giant ultra expensive one for 250€? I can't find any different. The one I've posted is a German version of 111 recipes with said step-by-step-photos. I prefer English books though but as I've said there only seems to be one Grand Livre by Robuchon in English - the one for 250€ (and I'm not even sure whether it really is in English and not in French). Am I missing something?

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

with all due respect, without a pretty advanced skill set already, that's like handing an electrical engineering manual to a guy who just wants to play world of warcraft.

I think there are quite a good number of doable recipes in there(probably more than a typical book since there are so g-d many).* And the other ones are pretty good for inspiration and ideas, even if they're too hard. It assumes some knowledge and doesn't hold your hand through the recipes, but it didn't seem like that's what he's looking for. However, I hadn't seen the newer Robuchon book with pictures in it.

*As I wrote this post I flipped through the book, without any super specialty ingredients, and a decently stocked kitchen you could easily bang out a 4 course dinner from it. I'm certain that there are many other recipes like these in it.

1. Roasted asparagus with parmesean, beef juice (p.35) hardest part is planning ahead to make this
2. Cod with Rougail (p. 215), nothing looks particularly difficult
3. Double Country Pork Chops; sauteed potatoes; mustard-pickle condiment (p. 909): most difficult step is probably sauteing some potatoes.
4. some dessert

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really want to improve my knife skills what's the best way to learn?

edina, just looked through my office bookshelf and it reminded me of a pretty good book by an old ebuddy of mine, chad ward. It's called "an edge in the kitchen" and it covers just about everything you'd want to know about knives, from buying, sharpening to cutting. warning: seriously geeky when it comes to metallurgy.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

edina, just looked through my office bookshelf and it reminded me of a pretty good book by an old ebuddy of mine, chad ward. It's called "an edge in the kitchen" and it covers just about everything you'd want to know about knives, from buying, sharpening to cutting. warning: seriously geeky when it comes to metallurgy.

I was going to post this too. Its a really good book about knives.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

2geeky4me. Great if you want to learn about knives, but I'd go to Jacques Pepin for knife skills.

delirium

Reaction score
Not sure if those goes here, but wasn't sure where else to post.

Can anyone recommend good de-odorizers to place in kitchens? Or best practices?

I'm thinking of something like putting jars/ pots filled with activated charcoal / carbon on top of the kitchen cabinets.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I'm thinking of something like putting jars/ pots filled with activated charcoal / carbon on top of the kitchen cabinets.

a bunch of small baking soda boxes would work. That's about all they sell them for nowadays, lol. Over here in Asia we have tons of awesome purpose-made deodorizers/dessicant tubs for everything, i have one in my fridge that is half charcoal, half gel, in a plastic vessel that is shaped like a liquor flask. Slim and discreet, they work pretty well for a few months and then you change them.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get a lampe berger. We have a few in our house. They are really quite nice, and there are many different scents to choose from.

http://www.lampeberger.us/lampe-berger-official-website-luxury-fragrances-for-the-home

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How good is the neutral? Fragrances tend to give me head aches so if it can neutralize food odor...

I know what you mean. We use neutral in the kitchen. It works really well. I always light it after I finish cooking fish, and within 20 minutes the odor is gone. You can also mix the neutral with other scents to decrease their potency. "Ocean Breeze" is my favorite.

Last edited:

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

so i think i really dig port. any place to learn more about it you guys can recommend reading? what's a good first one to buy?

Seriously, if you want to ubergeek out, check out www.fortheloveofport.com . It has great beginner guides and articles but also some incredibly detailed and geeky stuff. It is one of the best wine websites on the internerd that is devoted to a single region (along with Burghound for Burgundy). Just great stuff. His newsletters are awesome too, if you want to shell out cash to learn.
2geeky4me. Great if you want to learn about knives, but I'd go to Jacques Pepin for knife skills.

This + absolutely.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads