• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yesterday my dad tried to open a bottle of prosecco it had a regular cork, not the one you see with champagne. The bottle exploded when my dad tried to open with a corkscrew. Any idea why?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I've seen some muscats with a non-agglomerated cork, but never a Prosecco. Weird.

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any experience with ceramic non stick pans? Actually haven't heard of it until now. It seems like it is less vulnerable to abrasion than a teflon one (i.e. scrubbing metal in the pan). Does this also indicate they have a much longer durability in general?

I have one. It's okay. I rarely ever use non-stick cookware, though...unless I am making an omelette. What do you want to use it for?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i don't like the Veuve style anymore, but I don't think it sucks either.

+1 ... i think those were generally "sharp knee" comments because it's so widely available and has been for so long. main-line veuve isn't bad, even for the price if you can get it around $35 or so. and the prestige cuvees can be awesome. the vintage 1995 was one of the best i've had. and the grande dame bottlings are always terrific. i think i still have one left.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any experience with ceramic non stick pans? Actually haven't heard of it until now. It seems like it is less vulnerable to abrasion than a teflon one (i.e. scrubbing metal in the pan). Does this also indicate they have a much longer durability in general?

I have one. It's okay. I rarely ever use non-stick cookware, though...unless I am making an omelette. What do you want to use it for?

I was just curious. The only time I use our non-stick one is when preparing eggs, too. Rarely when heating leftovers up. I was watching Pepin's omelette video and it hurt seeing him scratching the fork in the pan. Then I read the comments.
Would you prefer it over a "classic" teflon one?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was just curious. The only time I use our non-stick one is when preparing eggs, too. Rarely when heating leftovers up. I was watching Pepin's omelette video and it hurt seeing him scratching the fork in the pan. Then I read the comments.
Would you prefer it over a "classic" teflon one?

I like teflon. I have a 10 inch one specifically for making omelettes, and that is all I ever use it for. Of course, a well seasoned stainless steel pan will resist sticking just as well as one that is teflon coated.

And, for what it's worth, I usually use a small rubber spatula to mix the omelette, as opposed to the bowl of a metal fork.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
actually, one Champagne house style that I may not like is Krug :(. I was recently at a tasting where the GC and a number of vintage offerings were poured, and they all tasted like they had a bit of oxidation to me. A while ago I had an awful wine that somebody characterized as oxidized, and it was so terrible that the specific taste has lingered in my mind so anything even close to that and I think oxidized and don't like it. But there's no way they all could have been oxidized, so my experience must have been wrong, but now I am a lost and confused sparrow when it comes to things like Krug :(

on the other hand, the '96 and '02 Dom, '02 and '04 Cristal, Salon, and most any vintage of Taittinger Comtes and Comtes Rose are amongst my most favorite things in the world.

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stainless is not seasonable, bro.

Maybe not like cast iron, but I find heating and rubbing salt into my stainless fry pans helps prevent foods from sticking. Really, the only thing I'm trying to help prevent from sticking is fish skin, and this always works with that.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

What's a good kitchen scale that can go to a tenth of a gram?

My oxo can do 1 gram but it doesn't register anything in between 1 gram. There are a few professional scales on Amazon that say they can do it. I suppose it depends on just how accurate your dime bags need to be.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
from what I've heard, scales that can read down to the tenths or hundredths are ridiculously expensive actually, it's an exponential price increase. We use them in the clothing business when buying small notions that don't measure even a gram on their own, primarily buttons, snaps, rivets, things like that.

alexg

Reaction score
I need it for molecular gastronomy type things. A few recipes have said like 1.6 grams of something so I figure I can't just guess at it. Also for coke. Lots of coke. Money isn't a huge issue if the scale will last.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe not like cast iron, but I find heating and rubbing salt into my stainless fry pans helps prevent foods from sticking. Really, the only thing I'm trying to help prevent from sticking is fish skin, and this always works with that.

Doesn't salt on steel cause pitting?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads