• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Severisth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My music-listening rotation has been really... weird lately:

Smashing Pumpkin's Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Le Meilleur de Kassav'
Ali Farka Touré's Savane
D'angelo's Voodoo
Paul Simon's Graceland
Radio Dept.'s Lesser Matters

Thumbs up for Radio Dept, now I know what I'm listening to tomorrow. Rapper I keep going back to as of late is Joey Bada$$, some people hate him, but I think he's great

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

He's a prime example of the new form of regionless rap. Back in the day, every region (NY, the South, Texas, Bay Area, LA, NO, etc.) had their own unique sound since that's all that played in those areas. Now that everyone has access to all music no matter where it came from, it's blurring the regionalism in rap.

I get that, but it comes off more like he's lacking any true sense of identity and compensating by trying to cater to everyone.

Gucci Mane is criminally underrated because his delivery superficially appears listless.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was doing a job thing at the corporate offices of a large clothing company today (not an impressive one, we're talking about the middle of North Carolina) and while waiting in the lobby area for my contact to show up, this random Asian dude was standing there waiting for his contact wearing Comme de Garcon Chucks and a knit blazer. I would love to know what he was doing there.

You should have at least bought Toasty a beer

tcwalter07

Reaction score

asap rocky is the closest thing to 90s rap imo

I really like Rocky, LiveLoveA$AP is one of the best mixtapes I've heard in a fat minute, but I think Joey Bada$$ is the best 90's sound out right now. His mixtape 1999 is terrific. Some songs feel straight off of Illmatic to me. Big KRIT is doing some great things right now too.

Last edited:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno about you guys, but I'm still listening to a helluva lot of Kendrick

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i don't know what mackelmore is, i'm not too good with pop culture i guess. i thought taylor swift was an actor lol

anyway i was checking out youtube and the front page had something about harlem shake i was thinking oh cool a throwback video lets check it out. to my horror it was some attempt at inducing seizures in viewers worldwide.

that was not the harlem shake, all these fake@$$ niqqas need to stop

this is the harlem shake

oh and :fistbump: on tupac but still got love for the b.i.g. too

everybody knows this...

the harlem shake videos are named after the song which is called the harlem shake...

i listened to kendrick every day all day for a straight month and i got tired of it and switched to schoolboy q and ab-soul for a bit. now i'm back to listening to kendrick all day everyday. lyrics are so good. i keep hearing new things in it.

love the concept of the album.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He's a prime example of the new form of regionless rap. Back in the day, every region (NY, the South, Texas, Bay Area, LA, NO, etc.) had their own unique sound since that's all that played in those areas. Now that everyone has access to all music no matter where it came from, it's blurring the regionalism in rap.

Get hyphy

but for real Andre Nickatina is still super real, more bay **** like too $hort, lyrics born, k.flay, mac dre etc hold true to their region

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black Hippy movement overrated. Harlem can't even hang onto an old dance from the 90's - even that's getting gentrified into some spastic bullshit.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
^ that's whats up, zillions of ppl convulsing

[Video][/video]

Last edited:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've barely been listening to rap lately. just a lot of mgmt/neon indian/of montreal/beach house type ****.

tcwalter07

Reaction score

Yeah I'm going through the same bounce back and forth between bumping non-stop K dot and getting tired of it as indesertum. I'm currently in a state of constant Pro-Era though with some Raider Klan for when I feel like getting ignorant and hype. Section.80 and GKMC are both stellar albums that are hard to be tired of for very long. I've been meaning to listen to give more of a listen to ScHoolboy Q's Habits & Contractions. But between Black Hippy, Pro-Era, A$AP, and Danny Brown I've been very well stocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads