1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Random fashion thoughts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by thekunk07, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

I guess part of the designer directives may stem from the typical consumer being clueless and insecure, and therefore grateful for any aphorisms about dicta on how to wear the clothes, which the consumers can then use both for their own outfits and, even more satisfyingly, to berate others. But also if the designer says you have to wear something in a certain way, it might 1) generate more demand for the other things he sells, because apparently you have to have them or you'll look like a moron; 2) creates a false sense of the brand's uniqueness and the designer's ingenuity.

2. unbelragazzo

This is an honest question because I sometimes notice myself feeling the same way...why would you hate to admit that Zara has some decent stuff? Would we rather that all the cool stuff come from brands that are inaccessible to the general public due either to its off-putting price or lack of publicity? Because that then justifies the inordinate amount of time, money, and energy we spend in acquiring jawnz? Because if you can buy cool shit at Zara for $50 then wtf are we even doing? I think these are the reasons that I have a sinking feeling every time I see some sweater retailing for $20 at a mass market retailer that I actually kind of like, but interested in hearing how others feel about it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

Because Zara (and H+M, etc) are generally ripoff artists, watering down last season's cool and manufacturing it as cheaply as possible for this season's rubes?

2 people like this.
  4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

The trickling of designs or trends to high street brands is often what leads a lot of designers to innovate something different (and for a lot of early-adopter fashion enthusiasts to buy something different). It's a shitty thing to admit, but IMO very true. Exclusivity -- or perhaps in a more flattering term, "originality" -- is often a big part of what makes something appealing.

There are few people who don't fall into this trap, but it's true enough to describe a lot of fashion innovation, IMO.

5 people like this.
  5. unbelragazzo

So it's the fact that they're copying? So the dissatisfaction comes from the same place as the philippics against "homage" watches and the like? I can understand that.

1 person likes this.
  6. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

You sound positively schumpeterian

7. unbelragazzo

Creative destruction is Schumpeter. This is more like emulative destruction. It's not an exogenous creation that destroys the current standard. It's the fact of a new idea become standard that destroys it, which then warrants more creation.

8. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est Well-Known Member

it's because it's the warm coca cola. it no longer has that something more

[​IMG]

9. dieworkwear

Schumpeter has a vey teleological view of the world though. I'm not saying that we're marching towards something. I'm just saying people don't want so spend $1,000 on something to look like every other Joe Blow on the street.

1 person likes this.
  10. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Even watches that aren't homage watches but have derivative design are looked down upon pretty heavily... IE Glashutte Original Panomatic (because of the A Lange Sohne model it heavily borrows from).

12. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Discounting philosophical concerns, for fast fashion in particular, I've never had any desire to wear any of the Zara (or HM) pieces I've ever felt. They feel disgusting, they're poorly made, and they usually look terrible. There's also the whole abuse-of-human-rights thing, which isn't exclusive to fast fashion, but has become sort of associated with it.

11 people like this.
  13. Louys

Louys Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of Uniqlo manufactures it's clothing ethically?

14. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

I emailed them about that a while back:

tl;dr - They're not into slavery or child labor, but it's fair to assume that wages aren't necessarily awesome across the board.

FWIW, I reached out to Zara with a similar question and never heard back.

1 person likes this.
  15. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Does anyone think that a "Production Partner" that uses children workers would have any ethical problems signing a document where they "commit" not to use child labor? Did Mango, Joe Fresh, Benetton, etc... have some sort of fluff code of conduct agreement with the Rana Plaza factories?

4 people like this.
  16. sipang

sipang Well-Known Member

That's the 'official' Saint Laurent biopic approved by Pierre Bergé (kinda sets the tone), made on autopilot and flatlining from beginning to end. It's about as exciting as a filmed wikipedia entry.

It's unfortunate timing that that insipid piece of filmmaking was released shortly before the other (unofficial) biopic by Bertrand Bonello (one of the most interesting French director working today) which, while not without its flaws, is an infinitely superior film and infinitely more worthy of your time.

Not sure it's been released in the US yet though.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  17. tgaith77

tgaith77 Well-Known Member

This happens a lot here...people admit they may possibly, potentially, reluctantly, like some mall brand "ripoff" item. So, post it here first, in an apologetic tone, to gage the masses reaction.

I think what happens, though, is if you've invested any time and energy (and by default, money) into this forum, you'd like to think you've "worked harder" for your fashion insights, that somehow you've paid for a membership of exclusivity. You shop at J.Crew? That's too easy...only $2K baller leathers from here on out!

As a corollary, there was an article I came across years ago about how the digital download music industry was scoffed at by "old school" music collectors. Here were these people, who'd spent the entire lives amassing these record collections, combing through bins at record stores, only to now be outdone by some kid with 10,000 songs on his ipod. They admitted that new collectors couldn't possibly appreciate music on the same level as them, because it wasn't such an intrinsic part of their life.

Whether we admit it or not, accessiblity/ exclusivity colors our perceptions of a brands' value and our willingness to make trade-offs.

18. dieworkwear

Yea, I was searching around for that online, but couldn't find a place where I could watch it (free or not).

Have you seen L’amour fou? Trailer:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Was going to watch that this week. A friend reviewed it here:

http://asuitablewardrobe.blogspot.com/2014/07/rjs-alternative-style-icons-pierre-berge.html

2 people like this.
  19. dieworkwear

I will rightly be judged as an asshole for admitting this, but when I was in high school in the '90s, I spent a great deal of my time going to music stores to dig for obscure, just-released music tapes and vinyl. Those were basically the only way I could be cool in high school. Granted, I was genuinely into the music -- but it was also a way to feel like you had something as a teenager when you weren't particularly skilled, good looking, or athletic.

There were many times when I was sitting in the quad with friends, and people would come up to us to ask what we were listening to. We'd be assholes and say some popular band that obviously wasn't the truth. Finding good b-sides and white labels at that time was like finding gold. Like knowing about something that nobody else could be cool enough to know about.

I can't even imagine what it would be like back then, if kids those days had cell phones that you could hold up to capture music, and some computer would tell you exactly where on YouTube or iTunes you could check out that track. My life would have been ruined.

2 people like this.
  20. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.