• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

(@Benesyed) Khalid Al Qasimi talks SS16

There was this idea of pacifying military clothing, minimalizing it. At the risk of a touchy subject, there were ideas of terrorism as well. This is more about the state that we’re in and the symbolism of certain things. To a Western person, some aspects of traditional Middle Eastern clothing are perhaps seen as aggressive or threatening, but if you look at it from the other point of view, the traditional Western military outfit could be much more threatening, or indeed terrorizing. It’s about how you view things and the ways we create meaning.

that doesn't make sense, there's nothing ME about the clothes ? i'm not saying he should do as Thamanyah (middle man from the bazaar selling regular arab robes to financially irresponsible white victims) but what he and the article say doesn't seem to correspond to reality ? it does look clean. also Sharjah is a dump

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

I dunno man, applying this sort of analytical mentality to clothes ends up being a horrible agglomeration of over-intellectualized nonsense, something for which another forum is made fun of for, and meticulous attention to frivolous details, something for which yet another sub-forum here is mocked. i know it's fok's thing but at least he keeps it in the domain of profiting/running this place. with that said, if you insist on carrying forth along this frivolous path, at least check out the best reference so you don't do useless polynomial regressions and miss hidden trends (like frequency of poast tiring people of your fits, preceding-proceeding fits that contextualize yours on the scale of baller, etc) and go with some type of bayesian approach, treat thumbs like a poisson RV or something like that, or maybe use some gaussian process or just treat it as a classification , svm for how sick it is.......

anyway speaking of fok's thing, @LA Guy, will you have more than just meats and alcohol at the nov 7 thing or should i pack some crackers to enjoy for myself while the barbarians feast ??

Last edited:

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

that doesn't make sense, there's nothing ME about the clothes ? i'm not saying he should do as Thamanyah (middle man from the bazaar selling regular arab robes to financially irresponsible white victims) but what he and the article say doesn't seem to correspond to reality ? it does look clean. also Sharjah is a dump

Furreal. The collection seems to touch way more explicitly on military themes than traditional middle eastern ones. Maybe we're supposed to read things like that grey collarless parka (which looks dope btw) as "robe inspired"? Then again I haven't seen any of the collection outside the interview. If I were to give him the benefit of the doubt, I'd say the reference lies in the clean flowiness of it all.

It is kind of a bummer when he talks about de-militarizing ME clothing in western audiences' minds and then shows a collection full of very tame western-leaning cluths

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno man, applying this sort of analytical mentality to clothes ends up being a horrible agglomeration of over-intellectualized nonsense, something for which another forum is made fun of for, and meticulous attention to frivolous details, something for which yet another sub-forum here is mocked. i know it's fok's thing but at least he keeps it in the domain of profiting/running this place. with that said, if you insist on carrying forth along this frivolous path, at least check out the best reference so you don't do useless polynomial regressions and miss hidden trends (like frequency of poast tiring people of your fits, preceding-proceeding fits that contextualize yours on the scale of baller, etc) and go with some type of bayesian approach, treat thumbs like a poisson RV or something like that, or maybe use some gaussian process or just treat it as a classification , svm for how sick it is.......

anyway speaking of fok's thing, @LA Guy , will you have more than just meats and alcohol at the nov 7 thing or should i pack some crackers to enjoy for myself while the barbarians feast ??
You mean, vegetarian stuff, or just lighter fare? We may have some vegetarian options, though I'm not sure that if you are not ovo/lacto, that they would work. Going with a rustic French thing, and you know.. looks of ovo and lacto. Can definitely take some suggestions though. It's in the budget.

VitaTimH

Reaction score
@the shah Honestly this was more of a fun little exercise than anything, I'm just a nerd and like thinking about **** like this :happy: And honestly to me this is less about analyzing clothes and more about analyzing forum behavior, and as a psychologist that's interesting!

I thought about this a bit more and yes Poisson regression likely makes more sense than linear, but floor effects didn't seem to be that significant from eyeballing the data and fuggit I didn't want to open R for this . Autocorrelation sounds like a fun idea, though. How would classification work? Dope fit vs. not-dope fit?

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On the wool side, I think the search to do is "Trachtenjanker". I used to have some boiled wool Tyroler jacket of that type, and the quality was remarkable. I think they are too much to wear here though, but perhaps if the horn buttons were exchanged.

Yes, got the Lafont pants which are really nice, well made and so on (especially for around 50 euro), BUT one of the inseams are twisted (think old jeans) which for sanforized pants just is a quality control error. I need to send them back, but would love to have a good pair.

The more sedate Tyroler designs might just work. For now I'm searching for "Walkjacke" or "Walkwolle [x]" instead, gets you more regular looking stuff. Also heard good things about the brand Mufflon but it's more on the activewear side.

Thanks. I think I'm going to order a pair soon, need to decide on the details.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

@the shah Honestly this was more of a fun little exercise than anything, I'm just a nerd and like thinking about **** like this :happy: And honestly to me this is less about analyzing clothes and more about analyzing forum behavior, and as a psychologist that's interesting!

I thought about this a bit more and yes Poisson regression likely makes more sense than linear, but floor effects didn't seem to be that significant from eyeballing the data and fuggit I didn't want to open R for this . Autocorrelation sounds like a fun idea, though. How would classification work? Dope fit vs. not-dope fit?

Yeah but you'd need some way to define dope, probably looking at the subsequent comments. No prob being a beard ;-) I also like Python more than R, not sure I have a good reason though.

You mean, vegetarian stuff, or just lighter fare?  We may have some vegetarian options, though I'm not sure that if you are not ovo/lacto, that they would work.  Going with a rustic French thing, and you know.. looks of ovo and lacto.  Can definitely take some suggestions though.  It's in the budget.

Haha I'm not too stressed just figure it's good to mention the event here once in a while so I'm not stuck in a line of mc robo poses

but if you are taking suggestions, please some genmaicha , and kanoyama is really really good and I'm not ovolactowhatever!

Last edited:

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The more sedate Tyroler designs might just work. For now I'm searching for "Walkjacke" or "Walkwolle [x]" instead, gets you more regular looking stuff. Also heard good things about the brand Mufflon but it's more on the activewear side.

Thanks. I think I'm going to order a pair soon, need to decide on the details.

Ah, true that gets some better options! Might try to get something like that.... I think the one I used to have was from Geiger.

Let me know how it turns out (i got these http://www.biomidi.fr/pantalon-de-t...oleskine-100-coton-sanfor-adolphe-lafont.html)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but if you are taking suggestions, please some genmaicha , and kanoyama is really really good and I'm not ovolactowhatever!
Yeah, I love tea, so, for sure. So, from what you said, you are vegan? (as in, no ovo, no lacto?)

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
what no i'm not vegan i eat sword-slaughtered grass fed meats drained of all blood sup @in stitches but really limit my consumption, not because it's unsustainable ecological practice or whatever hipster crap is regurgitated today but because it's addictive and probably not great for the colon. but trust that kanoyama will be a gastronomical adventure in wonderland

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

I think the middle eastern part is the lenghtening + sandals (cool sandals btw) + softer colours + more relaxed torso.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what no i'm not vegan i eat sword-slaughtered grass fed meats drained of all blood sup @in stitches but really limit my consumption, not because it's unsustainable ecological practice or whatever hipster crap is regurgitated today but because it's addictive and probably not great for the colon. but trust that kanoyama will be a gastronomical adventure in wonderland
It's like a lot of places in the East Village, imo, sorta overrated. I think that I'll go fairly classic bistro food this go around. It is probably going to be a cool day, people will have been up for a good 7 hours already, and I tend to be biased towards food that tastes good after a good bout of man hugging, aka jiujitsu and a bunch of cardio. Which usually translates into comfort food, and since we are all bougie and stuff, "upscale" comfort food. We'll have tea for you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads