• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome. Strong work. I'm going to consider that combo for myself in a loafer. If you have more pics, please post. detail of sole and CXL color would be nice to see.

On a related note, I definitely think the Rancourt site is picture deficient.

Dark olive CXL with black lactea hevea soles. They look dark brown in everything but direct sunlight where they are noticeably olive.

I really like the soles. They're very comfortable and have good traction.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^+1 This is a great color combination. I really like the dark soles with the dark green CXL. Those will be extremely wearable.

jns425

Reaction score
Those are great! Its hard to picture the leather without seeing it on a shoe first, but now I think I might have to consider the olive on my next shoe.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fiddling with my camera's processing options and took a photo my Rancourt chukka mocs, exactly as shown on the Website:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, thought it would be interesting to collect some information on Rancourt's lasts.

This is from the Rancourt site FAQ:

"We use three different lasts. Our handsewn lasts are the 114 for loafers and other slip-on shoes and the 800 for tie shoes and boots, these lasts come in widths B, D, E, EE. Our Blake stitch last is called the John last and comes in D width only.

There also seems to be a 555 loafer last, with is described as a bit shorter and narrower than the 800. Not sure how the 555 relates to the 114 they mention on the site. This is where it would be nice for some input from someone knowledgeable at Rancourt.

:)

jns425

Reaction score
So the "Color 8" is kind of a burgundy-ish color?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why do they call it "color 8"?

I love how those boots look!

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So the "Color 8" is kind of a burgundy-ish color?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why do they call it "color 8"?

I love how those boots look!

Not sure who originally coined the name "Color #8" to refer to what is, as you say, a burgundyish color. Could have been Horween, I'd think. But it is what many would call the classic cordovan color. It can show differently from different shoe makers, since they often finish a leather differently as part of their production process. For example, I think Rancourt's #8 shell is definitely a different look and feel from Alden's.

I wonder if it wasn't an internal designation (there's a relatively seldom seen Horween color #4, as well, for example) that's been carried over to the retail level. Most colors of shell end up having some more poetic name applied to them, such as Espresso and Caramel (Rancourt), Whiskey, Ravello, and Cigar (Alden), or Cognac and Saddle (Carmina). I'd imagine that naming is all up to the company making the shoe and likely trademarked, in the case of Alden, since you don't see anyone using the same terms. All may be slight variations on the basic colorways, again because of the factory finishing.

I'm sure there's a much more complete answer out there somewhere. Maybe on Horween's website or blog.

jns425

Reaction score
Not sure who originally coined the name "Color #8" to refer to what is, as you say, a burgundyish color. Could have been Horween, I'd think. But it is what many would call the classic cordovan color. It can show differently from different shoe makers, since they often finish a leather differently as part of their production process. For example, I think Rancourt's #8 shell is definitely a different look and feel from Alden's.
I wonder if it wasn't an internal designation (there's a relatively seldom seen Horween color #4, as well, for example) that's been carried over to the retail level. Most colors of shell end up having some more poetic name applied to them, such as Espresso and Caramel (Rancourt), Whiskey, Ravello, and Cigar (Alden), or Cognac and Saddle (Carmina). I'd imagine that naming is all up to the company making the shoe and likely trademarked, in the case of Alden, since you don't see anyone using the same terms. All may be slight variations on the basic colorways, again because of the factory finishing.
I'm sure there's a much more complete answer out there somewhere. Maybe on Horween's website or blog.

That makes sense. I think the Color 8 could look fantastic on a Rancourt Camp-Moc.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That makes sense. I think the Color 8 could look fantastic on a Rancourt Camp-Moc.

Yes, absolutely.

And a nice thing about color #8 shell, if that's what you are considering (Rancourt offers it in CXL as well), is the way that it ages. Wear and exposure to light create variations so that the burgundy color shades to red and deep brown. It ends up looking really great, IMO. I'll go take a new photo of my color #8 Beefrolls to post here. I think they show it.

jns425

Reaction score
Yes, absolutely.
And a nice thing about color #8 shell, if that's what you are considering (Rancourt offers it in CXL as well), is the way that it ages. Wear and exposure to light create variations so that the burgundy color shades to red and deep brown. It ends up looking really great, IMO. I'll go take a new photo of my color #8 Beefrolls to post here. I think they show it.

Would love to see a pic!

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here you go. Hopefully this captures the color. Probably going to put them away for the winter because of the leather soles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads