1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whatever123, Sep 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. LeCorb

LeCorb Member

Somehow the finish looks little different than CXL. I wonder if it is Horween burnish leather. Any Horween expert can offer some advices?

Example of Dark Olive CXL. I hope it helps.
    http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/blake-boot-dark-olive-chromexcel.html

2. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

3. calidist

calidist Well-Known Member

I know this is off-topic for Rancourt, but how did you size in the OSB Trench boot? TTS or a half size down? What would you recommend?

4. DC Office Hack

DC Office Hack Well-Known Member

Which of the three boots is best for walking? Four, if we include rancourt?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  5. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Member

Anybody has experience with Rancourt's Blake Chukka? How does it fit and how comfortable is it compared to the Alden's or AE's?

6. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

I bought and returned a pair of those last summer.
    Beware on the fit of those. I've got a couple pairs of Rancourt for Ralph Lauren beef rolls so I ordered the same size.
    These BB ones fit about half a size smaller.

The leather was really stiff and had a kind of fuzzy finish.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  7. iluvatar

iluvatar Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's certainly an option. What I had in mind for the Langdon boot was something entirely black and it looks like the black chromexcel is only dyed on the surface so you'd have some tan peaking through at the edges.

Scratch what I said about not being sure how a black chromexcel chukka would turn out, however. I've been playing around with Photoshop and came up with this rough approximation of what it would look like on the RLH sole.

[​IMG]

8. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

Argh! Planning my purchases for Spring and it's driving me crazy.

I want to get some of the Venetians in Brown CXL, but not on the super-thin leather soul. I'm trying to decide if the RLH sole will look too clunky on them? Thoughts? The other option is the siped camp sole in honey.

I'm also torn on a 2nd shoe to get... Not because I can't pick one but because it's tough to pick ONLY one... I had been thinking about a ranger moc in peanut suede... or green shell... or latigo / other pebble grain...

But now I'm thinking about a #8 shell beefroll penny loafer... I want to get a RLH sole on one pair, but I'm not sure which. I'm not sure the RLH would go with a #8 shell penny loafer, so I could go with a CXL penny or back to the ranger moc choices...

Does anyone know what last they send if you do the Made to Fit program? I usually wear a 10 in most things (10D Alden Barrie last, 10D AE 5 last, 9UK in Alfred Sargent) but I just got 9.5E in White's boots and they fit well. I've got the Eastland Made in Maine olive CXL size 9.5D that were a bit tight at first but loosened up to fit well. I'm not sure shell would do that, and I'm not sure which lasts they put on which shoes by default, so I was thinking of trying their fit test shoes for a 9.5E.

9. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

Rancourt makes Eastland Made in Maine for them. So there's your answer right there. Shell won't stretch quite as much as CXL, but it will still stretch a bit.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  10. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Well-Known Member

I like this post!:) All the following opinions are simply what I'd do if I were ordering the shoes: Venetian: Honey sipped camp sole. Ranger moc should look great in peanut suede (really like how that looks online) or the latigo, I think. I'd like something in both of those, but would then have find extra feet to wear them... :embar: Both should be sturdy for that shoe. Own the green shell, of course, and love it. So that is a tough one. I think RLH with #8 shell would be an interesting casual look. Definitely different for a shell loafer, but workable. Interesting that you wear .5 size smaller in Eastland than in AE 5 and Alden. I'd think you'd wear .5 larger, but if you have the shoes and they fit, then that's that. CXL is definitely going to give some, particularly if it is unlined. My feeling is that unlined shell has some give too. Lined it does not. Trying to keep myself from placing a Rancourt order... :slayer:

11. Edmund K

Edmund K Well-Known Member

I just contacted Rancourt and they said this is Bulldog leather.

12. rkusmant

rkusmant Well-Known Member

Just get my order confirmed, cherry cxl = cherry cavalier cxl, my guess = lollipop cavalier from Trickers.

13. FrankCowperwood

Gentlemen,
    Have a look at this video from Rancourt about the Blake stitching process.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

What catches my eye are the rather nice looking wingtips that they are making. Anyone know when those will be released?

14. DC Office Hack

A brogue long wing derby? Is that what I saw?

15. rkusmant

rkusmant Well-Known Member

interesting, looks pretty 'slim' profile vs alden's.

16. FrankCowperwood

Looked like a short wing to me, but that's splitting hairs really. Pretty exciting assuming it is coming soon.

17. grendel

grendel Well-Known Member

Yep, I saw that on FB tonight and that was what caught my attention too. Definitely a shortwing. Interesting that they're talking about the Blake stitching process and instead of showing the stuff they have available with that process they show something new. It didn't look like just prototypes, either, because they were making several in different colors.

Could they be making these for someone else already?

18. FrankCowperwood

I had that thought. Could be for the Japanese market for example. Maybe those will end up being Ramcourt's Modified last... Ha ha

19. NNNN

NNNN Well-Known Member

So apparently Rancourt charges $50 to customize a shoe? Since when? I was inquiring about using a different color leather and sole. I asked Quoddy if they charge for this and they said no. I'm surprised a company that bills itself as "made to order" would charge $50 just for the privilege of customization. It's a 25% increase, and bumps them into the same price bracket as OSB and Quoddy.

20. DC Office Hack

I would love to know if those brogues have a double sole. And, does this mean rancourt's aiming to make dress shoes? Or just "country" shoes like a brogue derby?

One thing the vid did not address was why Blake as opposed to Goodyear. My hunch-based on very little real knowledge--is that the Blake method is a smaller jump from hand-sewn and thus easier to integrate into a hand-sewn shop. I'm just guessing that that's the case.