• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

So I got in a pre-order with Christopher Forbes Shoes for a pair of Islays when they recieve stock in what they think may be as soon as February. My delima is this, Barney's all of a sudden has my size in hand.
I'm okay with waiting a couple of months for Forbes to get their supply and if I do I'll end up paying about $100 less after shipping and import fees, which is definitely nice. I talked to their a customer service rep named Alastair, he assured me that they will eventually receive stock of the boot saying "I just can't commit to timeframe. We will certainly have them in at some point but the waiting list is quite long."
Part of me is still worried that I may not end up getting a pair. He says he'll receive stock, which I believe, but didn't say whether he would receive enough to cover my pre-order as well. I've never purchased Crockett & Jones shoes before, so I'm not exactly sure how it works with them. When they release a popular product to they keep producing it as long as there's demand or do they do limited runs of certain models, then move onto something else?
Any help from C&J veterans would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
-J

Not sure where you are, but don't forget Barney's will likely charge you local sales tax.
If you can get Christopher Forbes to ship them via Royal Mail/Parcel Force, the chances of getting dinged for customs/duty is slim to none.
It looks like they use DHL though. In my experience I've been dinged with customs/duty about 1/3 of the time with DHL.
If you do get hit with duty, it'll be around 9%.
DHL's fees aren't too bad. My last DHL shipment fees were $6.50.

Personally I'd just order them from Barney's. Bird-in-the-hand and all.
Also, given past experience with Barney's, I wouldn't cancel your CF order until you get them.
Barney's web site sometimes has a tendency to show availability that isn't there.

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score
Last edited:

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score

Not sure where you are, but don't forget Barney's will likely charge you local sales tax.
If you can get Christopher Forbes to ship them via Royal Mail/Parcel Force, the chances of getting dinged for customs/duty is slim to none.
It looks like they use DHL though. In my experience I've been dinged with customs/duty about 1/3 of the time with DHL.
If you do get hit with duty, it'll be around 9%.
DHL's fees aren't too bad. My last DHL shipment fees were $6.50.
Also, given past experience with Barney's, I wouldn't cancel your CF order until you get them.
Barney's web site sometimes has a tendency to show availability that isn't there.

I'm in Alaska so sales tax will not be an issue for me. I used a duties fees calculator I found on a thread dedicated to the topic, and you're right, it was about 9% . I'll definitely take the ordering from Barney's cautionary under advisory. I'm still on the fence on the matter, but as you say bird in the hand.
Thanks for the advice!
-J

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, New to the forum here and have seen these Islay boots on barney's site and just wondered if anyone knows why they are exclusive to this store only?

Thanks

http://www.barneys.com/Crockett & Jones - Islay/502434603,default,pd.html

That's nice makeup. If you live in a place with coolish summers.

As to why only Barneys. They order up a few 'special' configurations' every season which are exclusive to them. Lots of stores do this. It's a great way to get a special makeup without paying made to order upcharges. And of course, department stores dump the unsold seasonal merchandise via sales. Which the shoemaker's themselves rarely do.

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score

I went ahead and grabbed the ones at Barneys. We'll see if the order is fullfilled or not. Thanks for the advice!
-J

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped by the NYC store today. The salesperson informed me that they will be having a post-Christmas sale on December 27. The prices will be 15-25% off, but on discontinued models only. They have yet to receive the stock from England. Does anyone have any idea what these models might be?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this Paul Stuart shoe is C&J? It looks a lot like the Westbourne, but with a slightly different color (and higher price).

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i believe thats the wesbourne in chestnut

+1. Wearing mine today.
Nail pattern matches C&J as well.

Edmund K

Reaction score

I stopped by the NYC store today. The salesperson informed me that they will be having a post-Christmas sale on December 27. The prices will be 15-25% off, but on discontinued models only. They have yet to receive the stock from England. Does anyone have any idea what these models might be?

There were 60% off at Barney's for C&J

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads