1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Well-Known Member

Alex: yeah, they're the most expensive HG that is not shell I believe. However, the leather uppers are much better than any of my other BG leathers. They actually feel like the HG uppers.

1 person likes this.
  2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

Return them.

3. LC Nielsen

LC Nielsen Member

OK, I'll have to stop by the shop next week.

Anyone had anything like that happen before? What could the reason for something like that happening possibly be? The finishing looks cracked and flaky... Maybe it's been sitting around post-manufacture for far too long or something?

4. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

I personally think it looks like you have caked on too much wax. I would advise you to apply only shoe cream on the bendable parts of the shoe and wax on the heel and toe.

5. LC Nielsen

LC Nielsen Member

The shoemaker specifically said that there was no need to apply cream until in a while, and nothing about not applying wax to any bendable parts...

Nevertheless, it seems utterly ridiculous that the finish would be ruined by a single, excessive application of wax with a soft cotton cloth the first time. It's hardly the first pair of shoes I've polished.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  6. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Well-Known Member

Exactly my thoughts. Gently stripping off the excess wax from the whole shoe apart from the toe would be the first thing I'd do with these.

7. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

It's not the finishing that's flaking off, it's the wax. I would suggest reading this and this.

8. LC Nielsen

LC Nielsen Member

A single application of wax with a soft cotton cloth to a softer area causes the finish to crumble and fall apart on a pair of otherwise fine shoes? It's not just a discoloration - the finish is very visibly cracked, and very visible flaked off while applying the wax. I've had MANY leather products of varying quality over the years, but not even the very cheapest, low-quality ones were that sensitive.

I exchanged a few mails with Justin of The Shoe Snob - he thought it was a bad tanning job. For what it's worth.

9. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

Well, it's hard to see from the pictures, but if you have cacked the shoes with wax, this isn't faulty finishing. I'm not saying I'm 100 per cent correct, but it is difficult judging by the pictures.

10. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

A bad use of wax polish could cause disaster.

What colour have you used?
    This could happen with neutral polish

You removed the finishing from the shoes revealing the original colour of the uppers (that usually is always light tan in mid brown to brown shoes)

Now you can only strip the shoes and re do the finishing with creams and wax (only on toe and heels)

I don't think C&J could consider this a manufactorig error.

11. LC Nielsen

LC Nielsen Member

OK, on the area to the left (the bit of the leather between my fingers), I removed the (transparent) wax with bile soap, and as far as I can tell there is none left. On the area on the right, well, that's the cracked area. I'm pretty sure the chestnut color is the color of the leather finish, and the tan is the color of whatever's just beneath it.

[​IMG]

12. LC Nielsen

LC Nielsen Member

Yes, I got a can of C&J's neutral polish when I bought the shoes, and used that.

Okay, so I can strip them completely and re-do the finish. That's fine. I was told to do that once or twice a year anyway. How do I do it? What products do I need?

13. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

Yep, that's the finish. I have no idea how you have managed to do this, but it isn't easy to fix. And no, stripping off the finish is not something to do 1-2 times a year, that is stripping of the wax.

14. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

This explain all.
    Neutral polish should be used only in rare cases, one of them is to remove the old polish manteining some of the old layers, or is used as gentle stripper instead renomat or similar product.

Never use it for regualar care.

You removed the layer of burnishing finish process.
    Here you can see the original colour of C&J Clifford and the final colour (different model but identical process):

[​IMG]

15. LC Nielsen

LC Nielsen Member

Huh! Guess what. I shrugged and took some mineral spirits (drugstore gasoline, I think) and wiped them. The "spots" went away like magic. After wiping for a while and drying it, they're back to their original color - just a little bit brighter and less glossy.

What must have happened is that somehow my wax reacted with whatever the factory finished coating them with, making for bright, tan-like spots. Now they seem to be down to simple chestnut leather again, and I guess I'm just gonna have to get some brown cream and polish and work them up again.

Thanks for the help.

16. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

Does anybody have the unlined Harvard fron Ben Silver. Called and the gal said all of their C&J's are on American lasts and run TTS. I know my unlined BB's Cordo's eventually stretch out hence going down a half size, glove like fit. How do I fit these? I also went down a half on the Marlow Lined Coro, they were prett tight at first but after a year they molded to my foot perfectly. I noramlly wear a thin or no sock. Thanks..

17. B-Rogue

B-Rogue Well-Known Member

True to their word the Burlington Arcade store sent the shoes on time and they arrived first thing Friday morning. Absolutely gorgeous.

[​IMG]

I wore the Swanseas on Friday night and I was surprised how comfortable they were. I was expecting them to be quite stiff considering that it was the first time I wore them. I did apply a layer of Saphir Renovateur and a layer of Neutral Pommadier Cream before wearing them. I do not intend to use the Neutral often but it was the only thing I had.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  18. TehBunny

TehBunny Well-Known Member

Shit dw thought the leather issue wasn't solved

19. erbs

erbs Well-Known Member

I'm a US 11D in the Marlow wingtip. What would my UK Belgrave size be?

20. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

I wear the Marlow in US9.5D. All my C&J's on various lasts are UK8.5E.