• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
So I took a chance on an e-thrift.

I don't usually buy used shoes, but this one looked like it had minimal wear. Also, it came with the shoe trees. This is for personal use, so will take it to a cobbler to get cleaned up, topy'd, disinfected, etc...

$68 all in:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Please for the love of god get some new laces too.

Denar78

Reaction score
So I took a chance on an e-thrift.

I don't usually buy used shoes, but this one looked like it had minimal wear. Also, it came with the shoe trees. This is for personal use, so will take it to a cobbler to get cleaned up, topy'd, disinfected, etc...

$68 all in:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

consider also some new laces, these ones look like they belong on a pair of sneakers 😅

Style989

Reaction score
Leather pull tabs.

I have come to really appreciate them after wearing my Snowdons a lot lately. So much so that I am inclined to spec them on all future MTOs.

Three reasons: 1) they’re always there when you need them whereas the fabric ones often fold into the shaft and need to be pulled out, 2) they are easier to get a hold of, because the loop is larger and more accessible, and 3) they look better.

Agree disagree?
100%
the fabric ones are floppy, go all over the place and indeed visually are quite ugly

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Leather pull tabs.

I have come to really appreciate them after wearing my Snowdons a lot lately. So much so that I am inclined to spec them on all future MTOs.

Three reasons: 1) they’re always there when you need them whereas the fabric ones often fold into the shaft and need to be pulled out, 2) they are easier to get a hold of, because the loop is larger and more accessible, and 3) they look better.

Agree disagree?
I totally agree.You couldnt be more correct. Bang on

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For lace up boots I tend to ignore the pull tabs. They seem to be a must for Chelseas

Fenners81

Reaction score
Any views on whether Pembrokes can work with a suit? I'm not a big fan of dress/city shoes so looking for something else. I have a few pairs of Tricker's Bourtons but I feel like they're too rugged and chunky so thought pembroke might be a decent middle ground. I have wide feet so the fact they're available in G fitting is another bonus.

Aurdelon

Reaction score
Leather pull tabs.

Agree disagree?
Agree on all points

Menninki

Reaction score
Any views on whether Pembrokes can work with a suit? I'm not a big fan of dress/city shoes so looking for something else. I have a few pairs of Tricker's Bourtons but I feel like they're too rugged and chunky so thought pembroke might be a decent middle ground. I have wide feet so the fact they're available in G fitting is another bonus.
I think Pembrokes go with anything! But I do see your point. They are not most formal - however, I find that they magically blend with anything. Why not give it a try? I am quite sure it will not be a mistake and you will find use for a pair even if you later decide not to pair them with a suite.

Mr_Spud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Pembrokes go with anything! But I do see your point. They are not most formal - however, I find that they magically blend with anything. Why not give it a try? I am quite sure it will not be a mistake and you will find use for a pair even if you later decide not to pair them with a suite.
Your suit, your shoes. Who gives a damn what you can or cannot wear with it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stylo90