• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pub Food

tdangio

Reaction score
Probably egg wash. As I'm out of eggs mine is not shiny and it also lacks the flower.

I just used some canned beef stock from Whole Foods. It's no salt added, so it's not the briny stuff that most store bought stocks are.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Forgot about this. I'll have time to do the recipe in a week and a half. I'm out of stock for now so I have to make that too. Matt, how do you get the pie glossy like that? Is it just the pastry you used or did you do something to it?
Dude it's puff pastry. You either egg wash it or brush melted butter on it. You're a cook, how do you not know this?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Dude it's puff pastry. You either egg wash it or brush melted butter on it. You're a cook, how do you not know this?

I'm a wannabe cook, and I hardly ever use pastry, except for quiche, and i purchase it and don't do either of those things. I have yet to take my cooking class, though I plan on it. One day I will be like Matt.
inlove.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I'm a wannabe cook, and I hardly ever (never?) use pastry. I have yet to take my cooking class, though I plan on it.

Get on it, man. PP is awesome. Beef wellington, Kulebiaka, pot pies/meat pies and billions of other options.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Get on it, man. PP is awesome. Beef wellington, Kulebiaka, pot pies/meat pies and billions of other options.
One of my favorite dishes is a curried mussel soup with a puff pastry crust. Delicious.

Vendishta

Reaction score
Usually, I go for either the traditional Fish and Chips or the Aberdeen Angus Burger is also a common choice.

Sometimes I may opt for a Ploughman's or try something new, but usually I stick to my favourites.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had the most amazing chicken/mushroom/bacon pie a couple weeks ago in a london pub, it was just amazingly good.

CBDB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
^ two totally different things.

Pub food is the British equivalent of American bar food, but less focus on sharing snacks (wings & skins) and more on fairly hearty but simple individual dishes.

Typical pub food:

Fish & Chips
Sausage & Mash
Pies
Ploughman's Lunch
Roasts (on a Sunday)
A basic steak
etc...

These days there has been an influx of the "gastro" pub. Chefs trying to step up the pub game to a good restaurant level. Some do it well, most fail miserably.

K

In the modern England you mustn't forget a curry

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Puff Pastry? Seriously?

Seems like a MASSIVE pain ********** to me. Would be hours of work, might not work right, and it's gone in moments.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Puff Pastry? Seriously?

Seems like a MASSIVE pain ********** to me. Would be hours of work, might not work right, and it's gone in moments.

Well you don't have to make it yourself, although it really isn't hard. Just involves making dough and then turning it, rolling it out, folding it, and cooling it, repeated a few times. There's plenty of fine puff pastry that you can buy premade.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Puff Pastry? Seriously?

Well you don't have to make it yourself, although it really isn't hard. Just involves making dough and then turning it, rolling it out, folding it, and cooling it, repeated a few times. There's plenty of fine puff pastry that you can buy premade.
http://dufourpastrykitchens.com/products-puff.php

This is a good product, and carried by Whole Foods. I'll make my own if I have time and if the most important part of the dish is the pastry itself. If not, I buy it. Don't get Peppridge Farms.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBDB
In the modern England you mustn't forget a curry

I guess you are technically right in that many pubs serve curry and even have curry nights, but I have yet to find a decent curry in a pub. There are too many good Indian restaurants to bother with pub curry.

Odd thing though, a lot of pubs do Thai food these days.

K

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There must be good Indian food somewhere in England, I just didn't find it. A colleague (who's from Bangalore) and I tried 4 different places and not one was particularly good. I'd take Shalimar in the 'loin over any of them in a heartbeat. Next time I'm in London or elsewhere in England I'll have to do a bit more research...

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
There must be good Indian food somewhere in England, I just didn't find it. A colleague (who's from Bangalore) and I tried 4 different places and not one was particularly good. I'd take Shalimar in the 'loin over any of them in a heartbeat. Next time I'm in London or elsewhere in England I'll have to do a bit more research...
Most South Indian folks don't have a clue about North Indian food. In general, I would think that Indian/Pakistani food would be better in London than in the US. Damn I need to visit London.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge

There is, but as with many things you need to know where to look. Many of the typical curry houses are run by Bangladeshis, and serve a bit bastardized of a menu / food. There are a couple of excellent Pakistani places in Whitechapel and if you roll out to East ham / Tooting / etc you will find some really good Indian food.

As above, I like South Indian food, but I dont trust South Indians on food (many times even their own).

K

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads