• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pub Food

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It was great.

005fkm.jpg

HAha. Matt, is the flower for me?
laugh.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I see there is even a flower. I recently had German food at that East German place in the Mission, which is as close to pubhouse fare I've gone.
Walzwerk? The two women who run it are a kick. Did you eat in the orange room?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Walzwerk? The two women who run it are a kick. Did you eat in the orange room?
Yes, Walzwerk. The portraits really make the place.

We ate with the genital public in the front. I think I gained weight just entering the place.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
You promised a recipe, non?
Sorry, Toss 1.75 lbs of beef shoulder cubes in flour. Brown in oil on all sides. Add two large onions, sliced, and cook until soft and almost caramelized. Then add about twelve white mushrooms, caps removed and quartered, and cook until soft. Add two cups of Newcastle, and one cup of beef stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer with a bay leaf for two hours. You might, or might not, need to add additional stock depending on how quickly it reduces. Season with salt and pepper throughout process. When finished, put the beef, vegetables and sauce into a ceramic pie dish, cover with puff pastry rolled not too thin, prick the top a few times to let steam escape, and bake for 25-30 minutes at 400.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
At least they have malt vinegar, which is rare in the US.
teacha.gif

One other thing that is rare here are the streetside "chip trucks" that seem to be in every small town and big city in Ontario.. I went canoeing with some friends in Algonquin Park a few years back and man, ya'll have some fantastic french fries in those damn things, and with malt vinegar too..
drool.gif

It was great.

005fkm.jpg

Wow, you sir, are a true renaissance man..

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
LOL Nice flower ***.
Do you make your own stock?

Most of the time. Sometimes we buy it at the butcher. This called for beef stock, which we do not generally make at home.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recipe. I have never coated the beef in flour as you describe. Does the flour actually stick to the beef even after it's cooked, or does it dissolve into the stock to help thicken?

I am not sure why, but I thought I read in Manton's cooking class thread that you don't like to cook. Must have misunderstood.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
Thanks for the recipe. I have never coated the beef in flour as you describe. Does the flour actually stick to the beef even after it's cooked, or does it dissolve into the stock to help thicken?

I am not sure why, but I thought I read in Manton's cooking class thread that you don't like to cook. Must have misunderstood.

It just thickens the sauce. It is pretty common in stews, and just more rustic than using a roux. I do cook, and like to. At one point, right after college, I worked in a kitchen thinking I'd like to go into the restaurant business. It lasted about eight months. The work is just too hard.

tdangio

Reaction score
Sorry,

Toss 1.75 lbs of beef shoulder cubes in flour. Brown in oil on all sides. Add two large onions, sliced, and cook until soft and almost caramelized. Then add about twelve white mushrooms, caps removed and quartered, and cook until soft. Add two cups of Newcastle, and one cup of beef stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer with a bay leaf for two hours. You might, or might not, need to add additional stock depending on how quickly it reduces. Season with salt and pepper throughout process.

When finished, put the beef, vegetables and sauce into a ceramic pie dish, cover with puff pastry rolled not too thin, prick the top a few times to let steam escape, and bake for 25-30 minutes at 400.

I made this for dinner today, but substituted Guinness for the Newcastle (it's what I had on hand and no alcohol sales on Sunday in GA). Delicious.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Forgot about this. I'll have time to do the recipe in a week and a half. I'm out of stock for now so I have to make that too. Matt, how do you get the pie glossy like that? Is it just the pastry you used or did you do something to it?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodfoot