• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Job loss/salary cut due to economy?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i am expecting at least a 50% decrease in a bonus this year, which to be honest is OK by me, since 99.99999% of the auto related companies are really hurting, we are OK. not great by any means, but we are doing OK.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
That's not a typical pay structure at a mutual fund company. Your uncle has either brought in a ton of dough and runs one the biggest funds there or has ridiculous long term performance.

He runs one of their top funds(50billion closed to new investors-or was until this crisis) and was given the fund when he was like 30. It returned 17% for like seven years and is a 4star with morningstar.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Therein lies the problem, we don't make investments when oil is cheap because alternative is too expensive and then when oil shoots up, as it will eventually, people ***** as to why there are no alternative energy sources.

Sufficient investments in AE have been made for them to continue when oil is this cheap.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen no ill effects. My wife has had her hours cut but it is not related to current econ problems. Totally unrelated.

But I've had a number of friends feel the effects. At least one is currently looking for a job after being laid off.

I've been lukcy, I think.

b

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Sufficient investments in AE have been made for them to continue when oil is this cheap.

Certainly R&D will continue while oil is cheap but in terms of actually creating a market, AE needs high energy prices or large subsidies to be competitive.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't really been affected yet. There is a raise freeze, but that's not a huge problem. What sucks is that upward mobility/lateral mobility (to other firms/NP's) have been hurt.

I feel this is a good time for me to go away to school.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty remarkable that fully 1/3 of those participating in the survey have felt the effects, with the fallout still continuing. Hopefully our economy can turn the corner soon.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
67.5% of respondents with "no effect," and some of us not voting due to actually getting increases. Nice to see people carrying on.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i lost overtime in september 08, but still work the extra hours w/o pay (although this is normal as I am salaried)..
bonus down 65%
no raise

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No bonus this year, but it was negligible (although nice to receive). Wife has survived I don't know how many rounds of layoffs (five?). So I voted "no effect" but that's not entirely accurate. If the recession were to get much worse, or continue for 24 months, who knows...

Tardek

Reaction score
I was told the other day that, following my graduation, I should not expect a full time position at my place of employment (having worked there for three years).

I sort of get it. It's a small company that already hires two incompetent solicitors, one of whom is my boss. If I were her I wouldn't want me sticking around after I'd achieved a higher qualification than she has, either.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a raise. But lost out on a promotion due to personal vendetta. woohoo!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads