• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photo essay on Britain's last oak bark tannery

arced

Reaction score
definitely interested, but would you ship worldwide?

Last edited:

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would have liked to see the photos in color. tanning looks like real tough work

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If theres a bit of interest here I'll work out prices and how many we'd need to sell for it to be viable but we'd want to do a small run of something like 16-32 belts ish so each belt would be one of a very small number and would be certified as such.

This sounds good to me. I'd be interested.

If you aren't fully subscribed it wouldn't hurt to take it to SW&D side. There's a lot of interest (and knowledge) in this kind of leather over there.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turns out Baker's was mentioned in the thread I was reading over in SW&D. The topic was the Kicking Mule Workshop belts that are beautiful and analogous to what Charlie is proposing, and a long conversation started between Jay_D and Mikecch, both of who are pretty knowledgeable for people not in the trade. The link is here. The conversation over there had to do with Japanese vs American leathers, and reached back to English leathers.

Mikecch gave a link to a video of the Baker tannery that I enjoyed: Baker Tannery

I loved the "left behind" comment in the Baker slideshow that ManOfKent linked to. Lucky for us some companies got left behind in the technological arms race and still managed to make a go of it.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Enjoyed the video; would also potentially be interested in a casual belt from it for use with jeans, etc, depending on the shade of colour and the price.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Great to see people being interested! Its really nice to see there are still enclaves of people interested in what goes into making something properly and the old fashioned way.

I'll try to come up with some specifics tomorrow but, subject to numbers we could do

1 limited run of Australian Nut and if there was any demand 1 of London Tan, a maximum of 16 belts per colour, depending on the widths people want. I think either our solid Brass or solid Nickel West End with stainless tounges would be the best buckles for them, but we could use any that we stock really. Widths could be 1 1/8, 1 1/4 or 1 1/2". Each belt would have a certificate from us to certify the origin, leather and the signature of the craftsman who made it plus a brass fob with it's number in the run.

I think we'd have to charge about £50/belt, probably with small changes for the width. I suspect my Bakers price list is out of date, so that might change a little but not a lot. We'd have to sell 5 per colour to make it viable really. Shipping anywhere in the world is no problem, we charge £4 shipping for the UK, £9.75 for the EU and £12.75.

I really want to make this a SF only deal so it won't be on our website or anywhere else, but I'll post in sw&d as well.

Hope people are keen!

Charlie

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
I haven't bought a belt for a very long time. If I ordered a 36", what size range would that cover? Could I adjust down to a 34", or up to a 38"? I don't want to cut it down if, say, I dropped a size. A quality belt for life!

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I haven't bought a belt for a very long time. If I ordered a 36", what size range would that cover? Could I adjust down to a 34", or up to a 38"? I don't want to cut it down if, say, I dropped a size. A quality belt for life!

All our belts by default come with 7 holes1" apart and are sold as the size to the middle hole. If you ordered a 36" the belt would adjust from 33" to 39". The idea is exactly as you say- a belt for life. That said every belt is made individually for it's owner so hole placement and numbers is entirely up to the person who orders it, we have made belts with 5, 3,1 and 0 holes before. Sizes are generally by the 1" but 1/2" is fine too.

HTH

Charlie

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great video.

I'd be interested in the belts as well.

Thanks.

Rich0116

Reaction score

1 limited run of Australian Nut and if there was any demand 1 of London Tan, a maximum of 16 belts per colour, depending on the widths people want. I think either our solid Brass or solid Nickel West End with stainless tounges would be the best buckles for them, but we could use any that we stock really. Widths could be 1 1/8, 1 1/4 or 1 1/2". Each belt would have a certificate from us to certify the origin, leather and the signature of the craftsman who made it plus a brass fob with it's number in the run.

I think we'd have to charge about £50/belt, probably with small changes for the width. I suspect my Bakers price list is out of date, so that might change a little but not a lot. We'd have to sell 5 per colour to make it viable really. Shipping anywhere in the world is no problem, we charge £4 shipping for the UK, £9.75 for the EU and £12.75.

£50/belt? :drool:

I'd possibly buy two. :)

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great thread. Thanks MOK and other contributors.
Here's a different twist:

Let's keep this going.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads