• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panerai at the office?

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
The "imitation" phase started before Vendome got anywhere close to OP. There isn't much difference (except from a collectibility point of view) between a Pre-V Luminor or a PAM 1A or 1B. The Panerai family itself decided to re-issue the Company's designs and that was a brilliant idea. Not everyone can drop six figures on a vintage 3646...

standard.jpg

You mean something like this? Not mine of course.

Gaz

Gallardo2501

Reaction score
My father gave me a Cartier Tank when I was 19, most folks didn't notice. The ones that did typically just said nice watch, or is it real.

I've only been called out about a watch once, when my father lent me his Ballon Bleu for a few months. I understand that one fully, considering a 26 year old guy was wearing a watch that cost more the most folks cars.

If you like it and can afford it, buy it, wear it, and enjoy it. If you really believe that some one will hold it against you, just think before you wear it.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gallardo2501
If you like it and can afford it, buy it, wear it, and enjoy it. If you really believe that some one will hold it against you, just think before you wear it.

I think that is the whole point of this thread. He is thinking whether people will hold it against him at work or have any other adverse reactions. So should he or should he not wear it if that's his concern?

instep

Reaction score
Don't we all hate small timers? As in the people who are so insecure in their own position that they react with jealousy, anger, or some other negative emotion when someone they consider 'beneath them' sports some fancy wrist decoration that tells the time.
confused.gif

newinny

Reaction score
I'm 26 and I'm getting a high school intern in a couple weeks. I'm not familiar with high school interns that are assigned to anything higher than a vp at a bank, hell even b-school interns do work for vp's.

If he comes in wearing a panerai on the first day, that tells me that he cares more about his appearance than the job and his summer's going to suck. But if he waits a few days, I probably wouldn't care.

Petyot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emakris
I am not fond of the Richemont era Panerai. I consider them overrated imitations of the old Panerai.

I would rather spend my money elsewhere (i.e. on a JLC). But that's just me...

The PAM 190 with a 8 days JLC movement gives you a bit of each...

190-movement.jpg

glowell222

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
Here is an explicit elitist response for the hell of it...

One of the reasons why I have stopped wearing my Panerai watches is because every intern and his trust fund trustee has one. YAWN! Even cab drivers in Singapore are wearing Panerai. Double YAWN.

Just like the nutters over at the denim forum are up-at-arms because every other denim brand are now offering selvedge, the appeal of Panerai has crept into the mainstream.

All the better reason to ditch it and spend thousands on an independent brand that nobody has ever heard off.
smile.gif

Well, why didn't you get one of the pre-war models instead of the "mainstream" version?

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glowell222
Well, why didn't you get one of the pre-war models instead of the "mainstream" version?

I have my reasons.

As for the OP, why not just simply exercise some humility and subtlety. Don't go in all blinged up on day 1. Rather, go in humble and conservative. As you assimilate, then start rolling it out.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rotated a JLC Master Control Grand Tourbillon, an IWC Portuguese Minute Repeater and an Audemars Piguet Jumping Hour Minute Repeater all throughout junior high school and nobody seemed to notice. So just wear what you like and don't worry what other people think! But I do echo previous posters' sentiments not to have your shirts made up with different-sized cuffs... sloppy.
dozingoff.gif

lichmd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by instep
Don't we all hate small timers? As in the people who are so insecure in their own position that they react with jealousy, anger, or some other negative emotion when someone they consider 'beneath them' sports some fancy wrist decoration that tells the time.
confused.gif

In businesses where a certain amount of hazing or a period of "proving"oneself is part of being considered for advancement these things are actually quite serious. The nice watch is a milestone, and folks who had to wait for theirs may not like it if you have one and haven't "paid" your dues. It's not rational, it's not logical, but it happens.
I wear what I want and have since med school, but I'm pretty sure it cost me an offer for a position once. YMMV

Cheers,
J

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it big watch, small penis; or vice-versa?

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
I rotated a JLC Master Control Grand Tourbillon, an IWC Portuguese Minute Repeater and an Audemars Piguet Jumping Hour Minute Repeater all throughout junior high school and nobody seemed to notice. So just wear what you like and don't worry what other people think! But I do echo previous posters' sentiments not to have your shirts made up with different-sized cuffs... sloppy.
dozingoff.gif

Wow, are you serious?
worship2.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lichmd
I then bought a PAM 183 that no one noticed until Panerai really exploded.
This sentence defies logic - unless you're a scientist working on a time machine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads