• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Panerai at the office?

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear mine to the office occasonally, usually with odd jackets. The only issue for me is that had several of my french cuff shirts made with a slightly larger left cuff to accomodate it, and these cuffs are too large for some of my jackets with slimmer sleeves. Moral of the story: don't have dress shirts tailored for gigantic casual sports watches.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chl
That is a heard mentality, wear whatever you want, because you want to, not because someone does or doesn't.

Notwithstanding, there is use of good judgment and issue of appropriateness in various situations. But I do not believe wearing a Panerai with a suit shows a lack of the former.

Edit: I forgot the fact OP is an intern. My view is, unless your familiy is loaded, and the job isn't really all that important in the grand scheme of things, I do not think interns should be outblinging their bosses at any time. I agree with Cantabrigian below.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric77
On wall street a lot of guys in your office will probably know what a panerei is. I wouldn't rock it for the first few weeks if not longer. You don't want to be wearing nicer **** than the actual employees.

+1

Wall Street has a fair amount of watch hounds or at least guys that can recognize an expensive watch.

There's a decent chance someone will say something about how expensive it is.

I'd be concerned about that but not about the formality of the watch.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Don't you have a dress watch?
I do.

Originally Posted by eric77
On wall street a lot of guys in your office will probably know what a panerei is. I wouldn't rock it for the first few weeks if not longer. You don't want to be wearing nicer **** than the actual employees.
Makes sense.

Originally Posted by gazman70k
YAWN! Even cab drivers in Singapore are wearing Panerai. Double YAWN.
Makes less sense!

Originally Posted by triniboy27
No issues with wearing it at the office but you should reconsider the white dial.
Agreed, not a particularly 'classic Panerai' look, but I thought it looked nice.

Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
+1
Wall Street has a fair amount of watch hounds or at least guys that can recognize an expensive watch.

There's a decent chance someone will say something about how expensive it is.

I'd be concerned about that but not about the formality of the watch.

I'm not trying to snub or one-up anybody, but I can see how it might come off as such. Having held a trading internship a year ago, nobody noticed a higher-end dress watch I was wearing most of the summer, but then again they were probably busy ... trading.

This summer isn't trading though, with more one-on-one interactions with superiors, so I think I'll tread carefully.

East Oakland

Reaction score
The problem with wearing big watches with a suit in general is that you have to have a cuff sized much bigger than your wrist for the cuff to pass over the watch and fall in the proper spot (with the desired amount of cuff showing from under the coat sleeve). To me, an oversized cuff makes the shirt look poorly-fitted and ruins the whole look.

emakris

Reaction score
I am not fond of the Richemont era Panerai. I consider them overrated imitations of the old Panerai.

I would rather spend my money elsewhere (i.e. on a JLC). But that's just me...

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who gives a toss?
It's your wrist and watch - wear it in good
Health.
The only thing that stop's me, is that some
Of my Barba Shirts are too tight.
As somebody mentioned it early, strap changes
Will have the effect of dressing up/down
The watch.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emakris
I am not fond of the Richemont era Panerai. I consider them overrated imitations of the old Panerai.
The "imitation" phase started before Vendome got anywhere close to OP. There isn't much difference (except from a collectibility point of view) between a Pre-V Luminor or a PAM 1A or 1B. The Panerai family itself decided to re-issue the Company's designs and that was a brilliant idea. Not everyone can drop six figures on a vintage 3646...

lichmd

Reaction score
Old thread, but a couple of comments.
Everyone at my residency (in NYC) noticed my Rolex GMT, including attendings, the program director and the chief of medicine. People notice these things. I then bought a PAM 183 that no one noticed until Panerai really exploded.

My friends on the street all know PAMs, it's the first or second watch they buy once they get their bonus. It will be noticed. Whether they'll care or not is another matter. I'd say you're more likely to be invited out for drinks and dinner by the MD if you're not sporting a PAM.

Buy a Kobold, no one will know what your sporting.

Cheers,
J

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I guess I should start wearing something more low-key during rotations (i.e. Omega SMP).

david809

Reaction score
Originally Posted by East Oakland
The problem with wearing big watches with a suit in general is that you have to have a cuff sized much bigger than your wrist for the cuff to pass over the watch and fall in the proper spot (with the desired amount of cuff showing from under the coat sleeve). To me, an oversized cuff makes the shirt look poorly-fitted and ruins the whole look.

+1

I used to have my shirts made with a slightly larger cuff for my watch, but then the cuff did not sit properly (too far down the hand). Very noticeable when wearing an odd jacket or suit, and I agree that it looks pretty sloppy.

glowell222

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
I understand that their offerings often fall under the "casual" category, but are Panerais suitable for office/work wear (i.e., with suit)?

I'm getting a Luminor 114 (I know, white dial), but would this look out of place at a Wall St. summer internship? Do people even care?

Some pictures:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&sa=1&q=pam114

My advice is to ignore the advice you just asked for and to do what the hell you want. If the people in your office don't like it, too bad for them.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glowell222
My advice is to ignore the advice you just asked for and to do what the hell you want. If the people in your office don't like it, too bad for them.

This is terrible advice if he is doing this internship trying to get a job/position or recommendation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads