• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxxford clothes discussion

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
That is correct. But isn't this true for all brands and most or all tailors?

Yes, I would imagine it is. Was there something in my post you quoted that would seem to indicate otherwise?

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
Yes, I would imagine it is. Was there something in my post you quoted that would seem to indicate otherwise?

That is what I thought. There was definitely nothing in my post that indicated otherwise.

I just had a hunch that with all brands (and not just with Oxxford) and with most or all (apparently, all) tailors that the offered cloths in their opening price points are less fancy. I also wanted to make sure that my hunch was 100% correct (which I now know it is, fortunately).

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrooklynMike
Oh I definitely think the fabrics they use are great.

+1,000

The fabrics from Oxxford are the best of any clothing brand, IMO.

Also, IMO, the fabrics from all high end, highly reputable, high priced tailors, there fabrics are mostly better than but often equal to the fabrics from Oxxford.

And, IMO, sometimes, however, the fabrics from all of the tailors that are high-end, highly reputable and high priced are below the fabrics from Oxxford (though this is relatively rare).

Harry Lean

Reaction score
I have to be honest, I am going by what most of the members of SF and AAAC (especially iammatt, as he seems to have the most extensive experience and overall expertise) have said based on their experiences (which have all been extensive). I have absolutely no experience myself, to be honest.

Consequently, I can almost guarantee that my experience with a multitude of different brands and tailors worldwide would be exactly the same or, at the very least, 90% the same and 10% different (with the levels of similarity being significant and the levels of difference being marginal).

Plus, I trust most (but certainly not all, though the people on SF and AAAC that I don't trust are very few and very far between) of the members of SF and AAAC dearly and sincerely for information about any kind of clothing, regardless of country of manufacture, type of clothing (dresswear, casualwear, fitnesswear and etcetera), quality of clothing, etcetera.

However, it seems that the extensive experiences from one SF and AAAC member to the other generally differs very little (at least this is the case when it comes to handwork and overall construction quality if not in fit, drapery, comfort and appearance). The fit, drapery, comfort and appearance of any article of clothing from all brands and tailors will vary very, very greatly from one person to the other.
In fit, drapery, comfort and appearance, Oxxford and other American brands are a bad to horrible choice for many people because they are often, square and sack suit like because they have the American silhouette (which mostly makes Oxxford full cut and loose fitting or looser fitting and square). For these people, Italian and English brands and tailors are a much better choice (and a good to excellent choice, overall) as the European silhouette is all of the following: round, the opposite of sack suit like, slim cut, close fitting and, of course, European. The Italian silhouette is noticeably more of the following than the English silhouette (which itself is very largely the following): round, the opposite of sack suit like, slim cut, close fitting and European.

But for some people, The American silhouette is a better choice (and a good to excellent choice) because it is square, sack suit like, full cut and looser fitting. For these people, the European silhouette is bad because it is round, the opposite of sack suit like, slim cut and close fitting. Also, for these people, the Italian silhouette is noticeably worse than the English silhouette (which itself is a bad to horrible choice for these people) because the Italian silhouette is, again, noticeably more round, the opposite of sack suit like, slim cut and close fitting than the English silhouette (which itself is very much of these things).

In the end, it is all simply a matter of preference. I know that you are thin (and possibly tall), hence your username being "thinman". I am 5' 9.5" tall with a big muscular frame (which makes my normal weight 185 pounds). Right now I am 210 pounds (which makes me 25 pounds overweight, FTL).

IMO, the European silhouette works best for all people with the possible exception of those who are overweight (or ten or more pounds overweight). For those who are overweight (or ten or more pounds overweight), the American silhouette most likely (if not definitely) works better than the European silhouette (especially when comparing the American silhouette to the Italian silhouette for the reasons that I mentioned before).

Of course, when I say overweight, I mean overweight because of fat. Overweight because of muscle (like actors Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terry Crews, Jr. and Tom Tiny Lister, Jr. a.k.a. Zeus) most likely look best in English clothing but also look excellent in Italian clothing. People who are muscular but neither overweight nor underweight (being muscular and being underweight are mutually exclusive I think) looks excellent in both of the aforementioned European silhouettes but probably look a bit better in Italian clothing or in English clothing. American clothing, 1,000,000-1, would probably look bad on all muscular people (especially muscular people who are at their normal weight).

Now my head hurts.
crazy.gif

Harry Lean

Reaction score
+1,000

The fabrics from Oxxford are the best of any clothing brand, IMO.

Also, IMO, the fabrics from all high end, highly reputable, high priced tailors, there fabrics are mostly better than but often equal to the fabrics from Oxxford.

And, IMO, sometimes, however, the fabrics from all of the tailors that are high-end, highly reputable and high priced are below the fabrics from Oxxford (though this is relatively rare).

The only real way to truely compare fabrics is to wear them and see how they perform. Even bespoke tailors can have trouble telling quality from feel alone.

H.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1,000 The fabrics from Oxxford are the best of any clothing brand, IMO. Also, IMO, the fabrics from all high end, highly reputable, high priced tailors, there fabrics are mostly better than but often equal to the fabrics from Oxxford. And, IMO, sometimes, however, the fabrics from all of the tailors that are high-end, highly reputable and high priced are below the fabrics from Oxxford (though this is relatively rare).
Please forgive me, but are you saying that Oxxford fabrics, while the best of the RTW suit and sport coat producers, are generally equal to or inferior to those of the high-end tailors, but only occasionally superior to those used by high-end tailors? If yes, I would agree that Oxxford uses the best cloth of any of the RTW producers. I have found some of the fabrics to be really very nice and others to be nothing spectacular.

sldsd

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, can I still request sack coat style from their bespoke department?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression from discussions on Style Forum
several years ago that Oxxford does really not offer true bespoke.
I thought it was MTM with "customization" I am not an Oxford
customer so you might wish to check withOxxford itself. However,
I have had MTM jackets and/or suits from other vendors. As you
should know, in MTM one orders a garment which uses an existing
model as a basis and the buyer specifies modifications to the
existing model, for example two vents instead of one or a ticket
pocket,etc. The best way to get a successful result is to try on
the model upon which your order will be based. If you are working
with a local retailer who does not have or cannot get a sample
jacket for you to try before ordering, I would not proceed.
Oxxford is very expensive and I would not have confidence in a
tailor merely measuring you and checking off details on an order
form to be sent to a factory to be made into a model that
you have never seen let alone tried on. I speak from experience.

Last edited:

golfnutter66

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, can I still request sack coat style from their bespoke department?

As another member remarked, unless you are George W. Bush, Oxxford does not offer bespoke services.

They offer a MTM program which does involve taking your measurements, note of your physique and then doing up a jacket or suit based upon a pre-existent pattern. This is not bespoke as say in the tradition of Huntsman of Saville Row and now with a location in NYC where a pattern is cut specifically on your measurements.

If you seek the best in terms of fit, you have to go bespoke. MTM has limitations no matter who you buy from.

For the record, I own two Oxxford sport coats and one overcoat. I also have clothing by Huntsman. The latter fits better for the aforementioned reasons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads