• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion needed on MTM in Toronto

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
I did go to see Trend but something about Don rubbed me the wrong way. I have no doubt about his technical skills and aesthetic ability though.
Hey Wetnose, that's interesting - care to elaborate? I'm planning on trying out Trend myself but I'd like to hear your thoughts too. It's nice to know that Fifth even offers CMT services too. I'm assuming that's overseas as well.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
Hey Wetnose, that's interesting - care to elaborate? I'm planning on trying out Trend myself but I'd like to hear your thoughts too.

It's nice to know that Fifth even offers CMT services too. I'm assuming that's overseas as well.

You might have better luck with CMT at Trend or Spiro's since they are local.

On another note, I do know Fifth on King also offers Bespoke fittings and can be a lengthy process as they tailor it in various places.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm a strictly SW&D cat but I did get my suit mtm at 5th on king...
Here's some waywt style pics

Originally Posted by Vashin
PG posting style today:

Shoulda fixed up my tie... out running errands
551547205_UzE6v-M.jpg

Yum, caffeine
551544725_TPabG-M.jpg

551544258_vk93D-M.jpg

about to board a boat for a birthday party/fundraiser thing...
551544746_xLBjB-L.jpg

On the boat, dinner sucked and wtf music fail too...drunk azn face cropped out for your viewing sanity
551544288_4wqst-M.jpg

MTM suit
JTG
Vintage knit tie
PS nash

I'll post better pics as they start to pop up on facebook or whatever social networking site

I'll see if I can get better pictures later more specifically for this thread.
Suit details:
Mid grey flannel
Notch Lapel
Single vent
Ticket pocket
Side tabs
Cuffs

osc

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm a strictly SW&D cat but I did get my suit mtm at 5th on king...
Here's some waywt style pics

I'll see if I can get better pictures later more specifically for this thread.
Suit details:
Mid grey flannel
Notch Lapel
Single vent
Ticket pocket
Side tabs
Cuffs

Suit looks great! Love the socks too

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey thanks,

here's a few more pics:
Hey guys thanks for the comments, I love those socks too.

Chrono: Yea it's a MTM tailor in toronto, for toronto cats pm me if you want to know details.

Here's some better pics:
550621845_RjpWf-M.jpg

550632103_fLEYX-M.jpg

Midnight Blue

Reaction score
Spiro's SH Custom Tailor - Danforth/Broadview

I called Spiros today to ask what their regular prices start at and was amazed to find out that the starting price is "$900, $950". That's only $75 more than the sale price!

Midnight Blue

Reaction score
I did go to see Trend but something about Don rubbed me the wrong way. I have no doubt about his technical skills and aesthetic ability though.

Yeah, I met with Don just this past weekend and he's quite an eccentric guy. Can't say that working with a tailor slash artist is really what I'm looking for.

wetnose

Reaction score
Hey Wetnose, that's interesting - care to elaborate? I'm planning on trying out Trend myself but I'd like to hear your thoughts too.

It's nice to know that Fifth even offers CMT services too. I'm assuming that's overseas as well.

Just me. Some people might have just perceived Don as confident in his abilities, I just thought he was a bit too over the top. His quote for CMT services - $1100, irregardless of material, also colored my perception negatively.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
I called Spiros today to ask what their regular prices start at and was amazed to find out that the starting price is "$900, $950". That's only $75 more than the sale price!

If you go into the showroom and speak to Spiro or his wife, I'm pretty sure they will be able to work out a better price for you (or just even apply the sale price itself).

Albern

Reaction score
Just me. Some people might have just perceived Don as confident in his abilities, I just thought he was a bit too over the top. His quote for CMT services - $1100, irregardless of material, also colored my perception negatively.

I'm sorry to hear that. So far I've only spoken to Don over the phone and the experience was quite positive for me; each to their own right.

CMT for Trend at $1,100 seems on par with any other tailor that has been mentioned on here (Xavier has even quoted me $1,000 CMT). Do you think his CMT is too high? Is there any input on the fabrics that he has available (cost per yard / metre, selection, etc...)?

osc

Reaction score
CMT for Trend at $1,100 seems on par with any other tailor that has been mentioned on here (Xavier has even quoted me $1,000 CMT). Do you think his CMT is too high? Is there any input on the fabrics that he has available (cost per yard / metre, selection, etc...)?

+1 - Price at Trend seems to be on par with any mid-grade CMT service. I do know that Spiro's and Fifth on King do have a lower grade CMT at $900+ and $700+, respectively. The next price tier is about $1000-$1200 which is on par with Trend.

IIRC:
Spiros @ $1000-$1100 equates to Loro Piana (120s) in-house fabric.
Fifth on King @ $1000-$1200 equates to VBC Revenge III (130s) fabric.
Note: I'm sure there are more fabric options available at these and higher price points but I never asked.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with acappella on St. Clair W ?

They're a family-run business, Italian-born tailor (?) and his two sons (I believe).
I went there for alterations once, which they farmed out; so-so experience.
Pleasant people to deal with if a tiny bit pushy.

They do MTM with Cerruti fabrics if my memory serves me right.
has anybody had their suit made there and can give feedback?

thanks

Redwoood

TorontoEX

Reaction score
Are the suits from Fifth on King really made in Hong Kong????? I just came back from HK from what I had learn and seen, nothing under HK$5000 would be made locally... its all shipped to Shenzhen China to be made. And if they charge $800 for a suit, how do they make money???

Also, like to know how much would a suit with Zegna or Scabal cloth cost at Fifth... past by the place a dozen time.. still hesitant to try. Reviews of Fifth seems like they wrote it themselves... either way, doesn't matter. If they do make a good suit. Who cares, they need to get their name out somehow.

wetnose

Reaction score
Something about my first suit left me vaguely dissatisfied with Fifth on King...and I can't say for sure I'd be using them again for suits. I have commissioned an overcoat with them though, based on an existing model.

I suggest talking to Mike about a quote then step in, unannounced, on Friday late afternoon. A lot of the pickups are done at that time and you can determine the fit/finish yourself.

Albern

Reaction score
Something about my first suit left me vaguely dissatisfied with Fifth on King...and I can't say for sure I'd be using them again for suits. I have commissioned an overcoat with them though, based on an existing model. I suggest talking to Mike about a quote then step in, unannounced, on Friday late afternoon. A lot of the pickups are done at that time and you can determine the fit/finish yourself.
Cool. Please keep us posted on how your overcoat turns out. Hopefully it will be better than your first suit from them but if I may say so; if you were not happy the first time what makes you think a second go around would be any better? In any case what you saw must have been a hell of a coat for you to order again. Good luck with it. BTW does anyone have any experience with Stavros Master Tailor in Yorkville? I'm interested in their MTM program at this point and hopefully someone could provide more info on the experience or what they've heard from others. Unfortunately there isn't much info on here, only this thread so far - http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...hlight=Stavros. Here's their main website - http://www.stavrostailorandshirtmaker.com/.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads