1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Opinion needed on MTM in Toronto

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wetnose, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Well-Known Member

I just went to Raji's. The service was poor. The shop was disorganized and messy. I had to ask three times about shirts before he would give me an answer and then informed me that custom shirts come in a minimum order of 3 (for $600), custom shirts elsewhere start around $130 and can be bought individually.

We went in shopping for a tuxedo and he wouldn't even listen to this request. Shot it down immediately, told me to go for a three piece suit without even consulting what I already have in my wardrobe or how often I would be using a tux.

We were looking at a supers 120 Australian wool (which he said he would normally charge $1200 for a three-piece suit). When we started to look at a few other books (that we had to pull out from under strewn pieces and bolts of fabric) he told me not to even look at the vitale barberis canonico book or this other book as to make a suit with fabrics from those books cost minimum $2500 (and I have been quoted around $1000-$1500 from other places like Sprezzatura- Fifth on King for the same fabrics).

He did not discuss fit at all and all the suits on the mannequins, even pinned, looked terribly boxy.

Needless to say I was unimpressed with Raji's.

Also, John from Balfour once told me, "You don't want to deliver a suit at 100% or even 99% because then you won't make any money. You want to deliver it at 85% so that it's still good and the customer's happy."
    While this statement might be the reality of custom made suits, I don't think it is appropriate to tell a customer you are at best aiming for 85%, can you imagine the actual effort that is going into the garment? Always state you are aiming for 100%, but maybe in this day and age the concept of hard work and the best possible delivery is lost.

Strange. I've bought a suit and two pairs of trousers from Raji and have been pretty satisfied. Is it possible you acted like an asshole when you were in his shop?

2. Mildly Consumptive

I just went to Raji's. The service was poor. The shop was disorganized and messy. I had to ask three times about shirts before he would give me an answer and then informed me that custom shirts come in a minimum order of 3 (for $600), custom shirts elsewhere start around $130 and can be bought individually.

We went in shopping for a tuxedo and he wouldn't even listen to this request. Shot it down immediately, told me to go for a three piece suit without even consulting what I already have in my wardrobe or how often I would be using a tux.

We were looking at a supers 120 Australian wool (which he said he would normally charge $1200 for a three-piece suit). When we started to look at a few other books (that we had to pull out from under strewn pieces and bolts of fabric) he told me not to even look at the vitale barberis canonico book or this other book as to make a suit with fabrics from those books cost minimum $2500 (and I have been quoted around $1000-$1500 from other places like Sprezzatura- Fifth on King for the same fabrics).

He did not discuss fit at all and all the suits on the mannequins, even pinned, looked terribly boxy.

Needless to say I was unimpressed with Raji's.

Also, John from Balfour once told me, "You don't want to deliver a suit at 100% or even 99% because then you won't make any money. You want to deliver it at 85% so that it's still good and the customer's happy."
    While this statement might be the reality of custom made suits, I don't think it is appropriate to tell a customer you are at best aiming for 85%, can you imagine the actual effort that is going into the garment? Always state you are aiming for 100%, but maybe in this day and age the concept of hard work and the best possible delivery is lost.

Also, are you related to a former poster named AvariceBespoke? If so, it might explain the outcome.

3. gj555

gj555 Well-Known Member

TorontoBespoke: With bad experiences at both Raji and Balfour, what shops do you recommend?

4. gj555

gj555 Well-Known Member

I do have my final fitting with Fifth on Thursday and am hoping to provide updated feedback shortly. I am also in the market for my 4th suit and am making a comparison of all the shops to see as to which provides excellent quality and service at a decent price point.

If you find a trusted place and the suit fits very well, you may want to stick with using Fifth. I have never used them but was impressed with what I saw in terms of customer service, attention to fit, and the product quality. Because I like to support local tailors I have tended to use the shops that make their suits locally, but from what I have seen, provided they get your measurements right, their suits do look to be superb value.

5. osc

osc Well-Known Member

If you find a trusted place and the suit fits very well, you may want to stick with using Fifth. I have never used them but was impressed with what I saw in terms of customer service, attention to fit, and the product quality. Because I like to support local tailors I have tended to use the shops that make their suits locally, but from what I have seen, provided they get your measurements right, their suits do look to be superb value.

Agreed - Although, considering that Fifth it the same price as Spiro's and Trend, I would like to simply rationalize the differences in value proposition for each since the latter two are all made locally in Toronto.

6. doink

doink Well-Known Member

Agreed - Although, considering that Fifth it the same price as Spiro's and Trend, I would like to simply rationalize the differences in value proposition for each since the latter two are all made locally in Toronto.

where are the suits and shirts from fifth made?

7. osc

osc Well-Known Member

where are the suits and shirts from fifth made?

HK, IIRC

8. osc

osc Well-Known Member

Updated Post #6 with suits details and link to fit critique!

9. Toronto Bespoke

Toronto Bespoke New Member

Strange. I've bought a suit and two pairs of trousers from Raji and have been pretty satisfied. Is it possible you acted like an asshole when you were in his shop?

Mildly Consumptive: As far as I know (but I'm probably not the best judge of my own behaviour as perceived by others) my part of the interaction was normal. Having worked in retail in the past I always try to be nice and respectful- treat someone they way you expect to be treated. I was really surprised by the service, he wasn't overtly jerky just condescending and the shop was a mess.

I happened upon styleforum after the experience with Raji's looking for a good recommendation. After reading through some posts I felt compelled to share my experience. I've never heard of AvariceBespoke.

gj555:
    There are many people here who are stronger authorities on this than myself but after reading this thread I went to a few places and based on the experiences I would recommend Trend or Fifth on King. Both were friendly and made me feel confident in their ability to deliver the best possible suit. Haven't tried Spiro's or Aquarius.

10. Mildly Consumptive

gj555:
    There are many people here who are stronger authorities on this than myself but after reading this thread I went to a few places and based on the experiences I would recommend Trend or Fifth on King. Both were friendly and made me feel confident in their ability to deliver the best possible suit. Haven't tried Spiro's or Aquarius.

You have bought clothes from both Trend and Fifth and King and are recommending them based on the clothes you received? If so, do you have pictures?

11. osc

osc Well-Known Member

You have bought clothes from both Trend and Fifth and King and are recommending them based on the clothes you received? If so, do you have pictures?

+1 would love to hear your experiences from Trend.

I've just purchased another suit from Fifth. I'm pretty picky and can be considered "hard to please" at times but find that Fifth on King is doing real well in the customer service area thus keeping me happy.

12. goof1972

goof1972 New Member

I just purchased a bespoken suit from Green Shag. They were very good and produced an excellent garment that fit me well. It took about 6 weeks...and I got a Super 140 suit bespoken for $1800.

http://www.greenshag.ca

13. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

I just purchased a bespoken suit from Green Shag. They were very good and produced an excellent garment that fit me well. It took about 6 weeks...and I got a Super 140 suit bespoken for $1800.

http://www.greenshag.ca

Market is tacky as all hell. Very Toronto.

14. Albern

Albern Well-Known Member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    Wow!!! Almost $900 for a threesome (a package of three shirts). If you know exactly what you're looking for you might as well get all the material and hardware yourself and get a tailor to make your shirts for you rather than going this route.

Pics of the greenshag suit would be greatly appreciated.

15. wetnose

wetnose Well-Known Member

To celebrate my new job, I went to Fifth on King and ordered a suit. They suggested I wear my favorite suit and for the first time I learnt about proper fit. Since I have disproportionately wide shoulders for my height, a lot of OTR jackets are actually too long for me...since they were meant for the North American average of 5ft 11, not 5ft 5 as in my case. Thus the need of MTM for me.

The selection of fabric and measurements took 2 hours and I was very satisfied with the depth of Mike's knowledge, his honesty and his willingness to answer all of my questions. We had a lengthy discussion about the english cut vs the italian cut, Tom Ford, fabric mills, Zegna and Dolce.

Cost wise: $1,400 for a Loro Piana sb suit. Loro Piana was the only book with the specific color/design I wanted...a lighter navy with light blue stripes. A lot of the navy I've seen recently is much too dark and I wanted something a little more striking.

If I could provide the material, then the workmanship would only cost $650. However, Mike cautioned that he could only go ahead if he was happy with the material, after sponging. He has had bad experiences with some cheap fabric provided by customers.

I did go to see Trend but something about Don rubbed me the wrong way. I have no doubt about his technical skills and aesthetic ability though.

I go in for my first fitting in approx 10 days...saw Fifth about 2 weeks ago. Will post pics.

16. Albern

Albern Well-Known Member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
    I did go to see Trend but something about Don rubbed me the wrong way. I have no doubt about his technical skills and aesthetic ability though.
    Hey Wetnose, that's interesting - care to elaborate? I'm planning on trying out Trend myself but I'd like to hear your thoughts too. It's nice to know that Fifth even offers CMT services too. I'm assuming that's overseas as well.

17. osc

osc Well-Known Member

Hey Wetnose, that's interesting - care to elaborate? I'm planning on trying out Trend myself but I'd like to hear your thoughts too.

It's nice to know that Fifth even offers CMT services too. I'm assuming that's overseas as well.

You might have better luck with CMT at Trend or Spiro's since they are local.

On another note, I do know Fifth on King also offers Bespoke fittings and can be a lengthy process as they tailor it in various places.

18. Vashin

Vashin Well-Known Member

Hey guys I'm a strictly SW&D cat but I did get my suit mtm at 5th on king...
    Here's some waywt style pics

PG posting style today:

Shoulda fixed up my tie... out running errands
    [​IMG]

Yum, caffeine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

about to board a boat for a birthday party/fundraiser thing...
    [​IMG]

On the boat, dinner sucked and wtf music fail too...drunk azn face cropped out for your viewing sanity
    [​IMG]

MTM suit
    JTG
    Vintage knit tie
    PS nash

I'll post better pics as they start to pop up on facebook or whatever social networking site

I'll see if I can get better pictures later more specifically for this thread.
    Suit details:
    Mid grey flannel
    Notch Lapel
    Single vent
    Ticket pocket
    Side tabs
    Cuffs

19. osc

osc Well-Known Member

Hey guys I'm a strictly SW&D cat but I did get my suit mtm at 5th on king...
    Here's some waywt style pics

I'll see if I can get better pictures later more specifically for this thread.
    Suit details:
    Mid grey flannel
    Notch Lapel
    Single vent
    Ticket pocket
    Side tabs
    Cuffs

Suit looks great! Love the socks too

20. Vashin

Vashin Well-Known Member

hey thanks,

here's a few more pics:
    Hey guys thanks for the comments, I love those socks too.

Chrono: Yea it's a MTM tailor in toronto, for toronto cats pm me if you want to know details.

Here's some better pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]