• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DSauerwald

Reaction score
Tux in this case would be appropriate; one dresses for the end of the event rather than the beginning, so 6PM start means evening.

Between your two options, I would recommend SuitSupply. They make a better suit, so if you can find something on a rack at SS that fits, that's going to look better and last longer. If you have trouble finding a good fit there, I would recommend Kent Wang; it's a little more money, but the product is excellent. Like Indochino, but the quality is far, far superior. KW has a NY showroom where you can set up an appointment and talk about what you're looking for.

AX2007

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for your expert advice here. I'm getting married in 2 months and don't have my suit picked out yet. I live in New York. The wedding is in mid-September. The ceremony will be outdoors at 6PM which mean pre-sunset. Does this rule out tuxedos given it'll still be daylight? I'm def leaning towards a suit over a tux anyway but was wondering given the timing I shouldn't even consider a tux.

I'm trying to find something for under $500. Going to Indochino and Suit Supply stores here tmw. Looking at the website I really like this option so far - https://www.indochino.com/product/premium-gray-sharkskin-suit

Given the price constraints not sure I can get anything much better.

I have a SuitSupply tuxedo, and for the money, I thought it was an excellent deal. It was a little over $500. Remember, you'll need alterations, so expect to pay a little more than the rack price.

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas,

i come seeking advice on my wedding outfit. We are having a somewhat non-traditional wedding and I've decided to go a bit casual. With regards to my personal style, I think I can get away with not wearing a tux. Anyway, I have bought a suit (Corneliani) and shoes (Carmina) so far, but I'm looking to complete the outfit with a bow tie. I'm looking for suggestions on the colour of bow tie that would work with the rest of the outfit. I'll be wearing a white shirt (possibly an OCBD), but I'm open to suggestions! The socks pictured (Ted Baker) are a pair I grabbed from my closet but I think they look pretty good. For reference, I have black hair and brown eyes. Thanks in advance.

Edit: It will be a spring wedding (mid May 2017)

Last edited:

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Hi fellas, i come seeking advice on my wedding outfit. We are having a somewhat non-traditional wedding and I've decided to go a bit casual. With regards to my personal style, I think I can get away with not wearing a tux. Anyway, I have bought a suit (Corneliani) and shoes (Carmina) so far, but I'm looking to complete the outfit with a bow tie. I'm looking for suggestions on the colour of bow tie that would work with the rest of the outfit. I'll be wearing a white shirt (possibly an OCBD), but I'm open to suggestions! The socks pictured (Ted Baker) are a pair I grabbed from my closet but I think they look pretty good. For reference, I have black hair and brown eyes. Thanks in advance. Edit: It will be a spring wedding (mid May 2017)
http://www.samhober.com/grenadine-g...-silver-grenadine-grossa-silk-bow-tie-21.html http://www.styleforum.net/t/62219/wedding-ties

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for your suggestion, Testudo.  I never thought this colour would work with the shoes but the idea is growing on me.

If anyone else cares to give their input, it would be greatly appreciated!

The challenge you have IMO is that you're mostly going for a classic wedding look (blue suit, white shirt, likely a conservative tie), but then you have brown shoes instead of black, which moves the needle to something more casual and also doesn't go quite as well with a traditional silver / grey wedding tie.

I have to ask if you're completely sold on the brown shoes. If you'd consider black shoes, the silver bow tie would look even better. If you are going to wear brown shoes, then I'd argue you're at least partly out of traditional wedding attire (as you said, the wedding is more casual, though how casual is up to you), you could even go with something like a pink or lilac grenadine silk (I believe they also have, depending on the grenadine weave, a sort of pink-silver which is a bit more subtle than regular pink).

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Thanks for the well thought out reply.

One of the reasons I chose to wear brown shoes is because I would like to wear then after the wedding. I don't have a need for black shoes in my daily life and while I understand the value of them for formal events, I generally prefer to wear burgundy cordovan on those occasions.

Great point about the lilac. I was already thinking about matching the lilac colour on the socks. I think I'm sold on this idea unless anyone has suggestions?

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello Gentlemen!

The bride-to-be thinks a magenta bow tie might be too casual. I have started to re-think the colour. My question is, can a bow tie in a colour/pattern like the ones below be worn with the suit above? If so, what type of shirt would be appropriate? The shoes are now leaning to be a #8 wingtip shoe with black edge trim.

Thanks in advance for your input!

palk

Reaction score
@Allen Dreadmon Outside of formal attire (i.e., white tie and black tie) and funerals, the best guidance in my opinion for tie color and pattern is to go with what looks good, which depends on everything from the color of your suit to your hair color, skin tone, etc. I recommend going to a store with a variety of bow ties with your suit on and find one that works best for you. Having only the color of your suit to base a recommendation on, why not try yellows and greens? Here are a few examples taken from Sam Hober's website:

Wibby

Reaction score
Hi

my wedding outfit is most put together, Samuelsohn Navy Suit, Allen Edmonds Black Shoes.... and now, i need to pick out a shirt. Any suggestions on a quality reasoanbly affordable white shirt? My Charles Tyrwhitt size is 36 / 16. Any suggestions on a sub $100 shirt that would look good on a groom? I was looking at Kamakura shirts, but am having trouble picking out a model and which shirt to get. any suggestions?

rajnyc

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for your expert advice here. I'm getting married in 2 months and don't have my suit picked out yet. I live in New York. The wedding is in mid-September. The ceremony will be outdoors at 6PM which mean pre-sunset. Does this rule out tuxedos given it'll still be daylight? I'm def leaning towards a suit over a tux anyway but was wondering given the timing I shouldn't even consider a tux.

I'm trying to find something for under $500. Going to Indochino and Suit Supply stores here tmw. Looking at the website I really like this option so far - https://www.indochino.com/product/premium-gray-sharkskin-suit

Given the price constraints not sure I can get anything much better.

So I finally made a decision on the suit and bought a plain blue Sienna from Suit Supply. they dont seem to have that one their site but this comes closest
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/sienna-blue-plain/P4213I.html

Now trying to decide on shoes. The wedding is outside by a lake.

I have these pair of brown shoes which are really comfortable and have only been worn a few times so don't have any visible creases on them. Feedback? I feel like even if i buy a new pair I'll have to wear them a few times before the wedding to break them in.
http://www.deepufashion.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Zara-Grosgrain.jpeg

Ol 55

Reaction score
To quote Sting, "I have only come here seeking knowledge.." - you probably know the rest.

That said, after much reading, I have joined in, and this is my first post. I am preparing for my youngest daughter's wedding (thank the Lord!), and as father of the bride, I have taken a great deal of advice from the threads that I've poured over while trolling the forum site.

This is going to be a 'rustic' style wedding in late afternoon on Labor Day Saturday, yet the reception will be held at a country club here in Pittsburgh. The groomsmen will be wearing rented suits in a gray color, with skinny black ties, and brown shoes. The groom will be wearing a medium/dark (not navy dark) blue suit with braces, burgundy bow tie, and brown shoes.

My suit is a Polo Ralph Lauren, blue label, European cut medium gray (color requested by the daughter), with a very slight silver sheen - not even close to sharkskin. If PRL hadn't described the fabric as silver-gray, I would have called it a lighter-medium gray. I have a selection of braces & ties to choose from that will be in the maroon/gray/black colors - whichever matches my wife's dress color the best, I suppose. I'll try to upload some photos at some point for opinions, since I have quite a few possible combinations.

This gets to my question - what would be the best type of shoe for me to wear? I am leaning toward a pair of black cap toe or wingtip bluchers, but I don't own a pair right now, and wouldn't have much need for them until the next wedding, funeral or other formal event I would be attending. All my other 'dress' shoes are slip on style, which I don't feel would be appropriate for the occasion. I'm hoping to find a decent pair for under $150, if possible. I have a high arch, wide foot that usually requires a size 13 shoe in a wider fit - so any styles that are made with a wide fit would be good - otherwise I would need to look for a brand/design that offered wide or extra wide sizes. DSW seems to have some pretty nice makes at decent prices - Bostonian, Florsheim, Mercanti, Aston, Aldo, Dunham, etc.

I would appreciate any suggestions for this 60 year old newbie!

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats OI55. As an ex father of the bride I understand the (thank the Lord!).

Given your price constraints together with your size requirements I would be inclined to stick with your existing shoes if they are black and well polished, though pictures would be great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads