• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Suit + Mint for Wedding - Advice?

brooksamster

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster who's relied on SF for years to avoid looking like a complete idiot. Now I need help with my upcoming wedding attire.

Scenario:
- March 3 1:30PM Catholic wedding in FL followed by indoor/outdoor reception by the beach.
- Bridesmaids dresses = mint; mint/gold is general color scheme.
- Groomsmen given following broad instructions: 2-pc navy suit, white shirt, shoe color / belt decision pending (Brown or Burgundy).
- Succulents on boutonnieres, which is kind of mint or pastel green in color.

Need help with two decisions:

1.) Brown or burgundy shoes / belt given time of day, navy/mint, etc. Also, decision on allowing loafers (which I'm against but open to feedback on).
2.) Mint ties. I want to buy 6 different ties for us that incorporate mint, are different / patterned, and don't look tacky / annoying. Looking for guidance on a.) general decision to require mint involvement, b.) selecting colors and style, c.) photo examples of how to pull it off (these have been hard to come by as most just have matching solid mint ties, which I don't like).

My goals for attire formality are threefold:
1.) Provide formal enough look and feel to show respect for the occasion and our families. This is not a linen and flip flops beach wedding. It's a wedding at a nice hotel that happens to be by the beach.
2.) Give flexibility so my guys don't have to break the bank getting suited up for this thing while making sure they don't look like morons. Also don't want them to rent and match, which looks awful, and everyone more or less has a dark-ish navy suit, so the selection means they probably don't have to go out and buy, and if they do, I'm doing them a favor by forcing them to own a decent navy suit. They should also be able to re-wear everything I ask them to bring.
3.) In a mature way, incorporate the aspects of spring, beach, and daytime. Do brown shoes accomplish this, or too casual? Are mint elements good for this, or is the color too hokey on a guy (I suspect no, but also can't find examples I like)? Advice on pocket squares?

Anyway, open it up to you style experts to help. Thanks!

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good you’ve ruled out flipflops for the wedding.

I know it’s done all the time but I would not match up ties nor try to match anything worn by the women. It is sufficient for men to simply dress like men—a concept that includes making one’s own grownup choices within the range of the event’s formality.

To me, matching up the groomsmen is akin to wearing name badges, another revolting custom that also presumes people cannot simply identify themselves “using their words,” as we tell our children.

But I understand the impetus to have a sort of uniform (the basis for all men’s tailored clothing), and a minty tie would probably look fine with a navy suit.

Last edited:

jaxenro

Reaction score
Navy blue suit would be black shoes preferably lace ups. Loafers are too casual for a suit. Let them pick their own ties.

You could go with navy blue blazers over tan or beige chinos, brown loafers, etc. Not as formal and you might look like a lineup of security guards but it might give you the look you want and be less expensive than a suit the navy blazer says beach country club

I only like white pocket squares not colors and especially not color coordinated to a bridesmaid dress

jaxenro

Reaction score
Sorry looking at the date, early March, I would go with navy blazers over gray flannel trousers and brown loafers although in Florida you could do a beige chino that early in the year

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on how hot it is, I think brown leather loafers would look great with a suit.

Its Florida! Gotta have that Miami vibe going on.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Navy suits are formal by nature loafers aren’t especially brown ones

You can get away with loafers with a tan or beige suit but not a navy one

Chouan

Reaction score
Navy suits with brown shoes and white shirts is about as much uniformity as you'll need. Allow them to wear their own ties. As Maxalex suggests, you're grown ups, and this isn't a costume affair!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads