• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That Gretsch is beautiful. One of their hollow-bodies is on my list at some point.

Anyone have a go-to place they like for selling guitars and pedals online, other than eBay and Craigslist? It's been awhile since I've sold off any music equipment, though I used Harmony Central a few years back and it seems as though The Gear Page classifieds get good traffic. Looking to unload a few pieces soon.

What about Vintage Guitar Magazine or their website?

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I traded away my LP with Bigsby - that thing was insanely heavy, but I liked it. I'm not even sure if it was weight relieved (I think it was a 2001 Standard) but it didn't feel like it. Was definitely the heaviest Paul I've ever played.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Every Les Paul since the mid 80's is either weight relieved or chambered unless it is a historic model. A lot of people don't know this and when they find out there is a lot of crying over it. The guitars Gibson was making in the 50's were incredibly light so people have made these irrational conclusions that lighter equals sounding better, which really isn't proven. Jimmy Page's Les Paul sounds awesome! Jimmy Page's Les Paul weighed about 7.5 lbs. 7.5 lbs Les Paul's must sound awesome! Well, maybe, but maybe all of these old Les Pauls sound so good because we generally hear them being played by truly great players. FWIW, my new Custom weighs almost 11 lbs.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fat-bottomed girls...

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should have heard me own the **** out of Ode to Joy last night, suckers. Ahh, baby steps... lots of old habits dying hard. The posture for classical takes a little while to get used to, and the technique for picking and fretting is a big adjustment. I'm happy with my decision so far, though - I love the sound of the nylon strings even compared to a steel-string acoustic. Much more forgiving for a beginner as well.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY SCAMS ON UK CRAIGSLIST AND GUMTREE!

Damn, I hate these people. I want a reasonably priced 60's Firebird or SG, stop tempting me!!!!

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any fans of The Edge? I took delivery of a Korg SDD 3000 today...

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The edge is on my list of most overrated guitarists of all time.

He pioneered (or at least brought to the mainstream) the idea of guitar as texture - I've always thought he deserves recognition despite not being able to keep up with Jimmy Page.

And the most overrated guitarist of all time is obviously Keith Richards.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

The edge is on my list of most overrated guitarists of all time.

BFAM!!!!!

not a fan of his at all. Far too many effects/pedals. IF he was a technically gifted player, youd never hear it through all his effects.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agreed. Without all of those effects he is useless. I mean texture is cool and all, but noodling around with effects gets old very fast. I love Sunday Bloody Sunday though. Bass line rocks.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Agreed. Without all of those effects he is useless. I mean texture is cool and all, but noodling around with effects gets old very fast. I love Sunday Bloody Sunday though. Bass line rocks.

great song. so is Love is Blindness...though IMHO jack whites new version is tops.

Just personal taste for me..but i much prefer the less is more attitude. just some overdrive, a touch of reverb, and a lot of volume.

stickshift

Reaction score

great song. so is Love is Blindness...though IMHO jack whites new version is tops.

Just personal taste for me..but i much prefer the less is more attitude. just some overdrive, a touch of reverb, and a lot of volume.

Yup, tone should come from the fingers.

Last edited:

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there is room in music for both approaches.
And to be honest there's little the Edge uses aside from overdrive, rhythmic delay, a filter (be it wah or phaser) and every so often an octave slide pitch shift (like a whammy). If you guys are so against rhythmic delay, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads