1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Piobaire, Feb 25, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

Guitar Center in NYC has a really gorgeious 1960 esquire for sale, it's in great condition. But it's also $19K.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

:fu:

I have allowed myself to be dragged into something else from Style Forum that could grow to be an expensive hobby.

:fu:

3. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Those slab board era Esquires can be very nice!

4. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

The geetar disease has no cure, just more.

1 person likes this.
  5. gomestar

it's galled GAS. Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

2 people like this.
  6. gomestar

they have a bunch of 50's and 60's strats that have "not for sale" tags hanging on them. All were purchased at the height of the market, but now that market has totally busted so they'd just be selling them for big losses.

7. Piobaire

Okay, the entire time I've been at my desk today I've had youtube demos of the DSL 40C playing.

8. gomestar

i don't think the resale on a VT would come close to holding its value compared to a Marshall. I'm just guessing, but tube power is classic and unreplaceable, while solid state amps seem to be a dime a dozen in the "blowout used" section of stores.

the VT would be perfectly suitable for your needs though.

Or even a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401, which was the previous gen 40 watter from that line (it's the same generation as my DSL100 head). Made at the original Marshall factory in England, too, the newest versions are out of Asia.

9. Piobaire

That VT+ is pretty darn cheap at $250, and if I keep things going for a year, I can easily justify to myself a $700 investment in that DSL 40C. We'll see a year from now.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I used to have a JCM2000 DSL 401. Sold it on ebay. Too fucking loud in an apartment, even with two tubes pulled.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  11. Piobaire

I ordered the VT20+ from Amazon last night. Got Amazon pricing, Prime shipping, and linked my AMEX up so used points and no cash out of pocket. Arrival is Friday or Monday, guitar is tomorrow, so there are odds Piob might be noodling this weekend.

12. patrickBOOTH

You're going to catch some catfish with your bare hands this weekend? Sounds like it might make you happy. You should post in the things making you happy thread.

13. Piobaire

I did not feel like I deserve to use the word "jam" yet.

14. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Ooh, I like the sound of that...
    "Unique Power Level control can limit the power amp output wattage, creating distinctive power amp distortion at any listening level."

The floor pedal option seems like it would be nice.
    I never really used the distortion features on my little fender amp since you had to press a little button to activate them...they sounded fine, but the Boss pedal was easier to use.

15. patrickBOOTH

You have to be careful with these features. Depending on how it is done it could be very shitty. For example, if you are limiting output with resistance using capacitors you will be able to get distortion at lower volumes, however you are compromising a lot of frequencies in order to do this and albeit distorted and low volume, it will sound like shit.

The only way to reduce volume and maintain tone is through controlling voltage through a method coined, "London Power" by an engineer named KEvin O'Connor. He sells tube amp kits and such that can do this, but any amplifier that has this feature built-in is generally very expensive and wouldn't be gotten via Amazon.

Also, this method is flawed in theory because what we associate great power amp distortion with is not only dynamics and such, but also speaker distortion, and the movement of a lot of air due to volume. So, while the output tubes are acting the same our ears, and fingers don't respond the same way due to these factors.

16. patrickBOOTH

Also, Pio, if you want to upgrade your epi at any point, I suggest you rewire it 50's style with 500k pots, and paper in oil capactiors. It is a relatively cheap upgrade that actually makes yours controls more useable. Also, getting better pickups is a no brainer.

17. Piobaire

pB, what amp do you use?

18. patrickBOOTH

Nothing at the moment, I sold my Fender Twin recently but I am currently toying with the idea of getting a Fargen.

19. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Well, I'm sure it sounds better than my old and tiny fender (probably a frontman?). I live in an apartment where you can hear the neighbor's dogs bark...so there's a limit to the volume.

Right now I've just been playing Rocksmith, but if I start playing more frequently again, something like this might be just the ticket. Probably need to get my guitar worked on a bit...I was playing with a demo telecaster at this lollapalooza pop-up shop and it felt soooo much better.

20. gomestar

this is the reason why i do not have one currently. Great, great amp though. The apartment thing is the reason why i'm looking at these 1 watters. It's amazing how loud even the little guys are, you need very little power to get some very heavy volume. These 100+ watt amps are a little crazy IMO (nevermind that one of my favorite guitarists uses a 200 watt head)