• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is interesting though.
Ricky Ponting is a very good golfer. He plays off 3 at the championship course in Australia.

Yep, and Gary Sobers used to play of 1 left handed and 8 right handed. Those kind of guys are freaks though, superior hand eye co-ordination, both probably would have been fantastic at any sport where you hit something with a bat/club/stick.

Schwazer

Reaction score
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Talking about great hand eye coordination, Ian Poulter.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^nice

Lulzy

Reaction score
Hey guys buying a new set as I am getting back into golf again after a long lay off.

Any Iron recommendations? I pretty much know the other clubs I am going to get but not sure on this.

I would say I would start on like a 14 when I get a handicap back but would quickly halve that once I start playing.

Cavity backs? blades? player or game improvement irons? Iron play has ALWAYS been my weakness, but this could also be due to poor fitting of clubs and/or the fact i had graphite shafts and a super fast swing.

Schwazer

Reaction score

Hey guys buying a new set as I am getting back into golf again after a long lay off.

Any Iron recommendations? I pretty much know the other clubs I am going to get but not sure on this.

I would say I would start on like a 14 when I get a handicap back but would quickly halve that once I start playing.

Cavity backs? blades? player or game improvement irons? Iron play has ALWAYS been my weakness, but this could also be due to poor fitting of clubs and/or the fact i had graphite shafts and a super fast swing.

Would you consider going to a professional fitter? Adds a bit more cost but it is worth it.

Lulzy

Reaction score
Would you consider going to a professional fitter? Adds a bit more cost but it is worth it.
I am doing that. Already found one that is highly recommended.

I guess he could give me better advice but would still like to know what people think.

Will be interesting to see how a good 15 years of better technology and proper fitted clubs will do for my game...

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess he could give me better advice but would still like to know what people think.

Will be interesting to see how a good 15 years of better technology and proper fitted clubs will do for my game...

Hit a bunch of clubs on a launch monitor and if possible demo the top few sets.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ima 2.5 year noobie who finally took up golf. personally i'm in love with miura passing point
irons. they've helped my accuracy more than any other i've tried.

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ima 2.5 year noobie who finally took up golf.  personally i'm in love with miura passing point
    irons. they've helped my accuracy more than any other i've tried.

Yeah, Miura make sick clubs.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mizuno JPX-800 Pro (Forged) seem to be a popular mid-cap option for an iron that is forgiving and smooth yet still offers playability.

Like others have said, hit a bunch of irons and try different shafts as well. A good fitter will put together something that will work for your swing and game.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
honestly, i feel as though irons technology hasn't improved as much as driver technology has...

miuras are great, but you can get cheaper options elsewhere (for sure!)

i'm a huge fan of nike (i had the original forged blades --> miura cavity backs by nike --> nike pro combo) and i've hit everything under the sun
however, i suggest going with cavity backs rather than blades...

i'd also try to get the titleist 910 drivers... they're pretty good bang for the buck

salisboss

Reaction score
Went out yesterday and shot my best round of the year. I shot a 90 on a par 65. Only had one real bad hole (quadruple bogey). Was hitting bombs straight as an arrow. Left a lot of my irons short because of the swirling wind but I kept most everything under control. Even my putting wasn't terrible. Could have made a few more but my speed was on point.

Probably my last time out this year which my best and most consistent year of playing ever. I want to take some lessons and get some new irons before next season.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Went out yesterday and shot my best round of the year. I shot a 90 on a par 65. Only had one real bad hole (quadruple bogey). Was hitting bombs straight as an arrow. Left a lot of my irons short because of the swirling wind but I kept most everything under control. Even my putting wasn't terrible. Could have made a few more but my speed was on point.
Probably my last time out this year which my best and most consistent year of playing ever. I want to take some lessons and get some new irons before next season.

Well done! Make the lessons a priority, you'll be breaking 90 all next season :slayer:

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
77 today. Two eagle attempts that wouldn't fall. Not too bad for winter golf. Just kind of out there hitting and hoping, nothing too precise. Still enjoying it though.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
At a "summer place" for Thanksgiving, so only the back 9 was playable. The greens were punched and sanded; rolling like a 5... I took 5 clubs out there and was screwing around. Had a great time playing for the first time since September. As a bonus, found my grandfather's old Ping Eye 1 iron, fitted with original grip, +2" extra stiff shafts. Was able to successfully hit 4/5 attempts (the failure was spectacular- launch angle had to be negative)

Playing makes me want to move to Palm Beach and play everyday. Screw the whole four seasons appreciation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads