• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NY Times Critical Shopper Reviews the Gap

B Hamilton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
1. It's pretty spot on.
2. It's a ***** move - so easy to criticize The GAP.

I want to see The Critical Shopper take on some of the heavies, either fashionista darlings (Atelier - looks like someone never got over reading Goethe in the 11th grade,) uptown stalwarts (Bergdorf Goodman - where trophy wives go to buy their husband's Borrelli sweaters and Incotex trousers so that they can look the same as they did when they were still middle management and wore Alfani and dockers, just with a larger gut.) The best would be if they reviewed a place like Saks - stuck somewhere between middle class and upper middle class - a good place to get a Canali suit, and Dolce&Gabbana leather jacket to match the Seven jeans - because the buyers haven't bothered to follow trends since 2002.

Jon did a pretty good write-up on Epaulet about a year ago.

TheDroog

Reaction score
The irrelevance of the Gap says more about the evolution of men's tastes than it does about the company itself. As Caramenica points out, in the 1990s wearing Gap was the surest and best way to fit in. Everyone was wearing denim shirts and pleated khakis, and so were you. It was pretty cool to conform. But since the early 2000s, men's fashion has emphasized individuality, hence the increasing popularity of mall brands like J.Crew and Urban Outfitters that do a better job of offering attention-grabbing items. Men are also more aware of cooler alternatives like Band of Outsiders and Gant. For what it's worth, Gap is still good for basics, but I totally get why everyone prefers shopping elsewhere.

Originally Posted by LA Guy
1. It's pretty spot on.
2. It's a ***** move - so easy to criticize The GAP.

I want to see The Critical Shopper take on some of the heavies, either fashionista darlings (Atelier - looks like someone never got over reading Goethe in the 11th grade,) uptown stalwarts (Bergdorf Goodman - where trophy wives go to buy their husband's Borrelli sweaters and Incotex trousers so that they can look the same as they did when they were still middle management and wore Alfani and dockers, just with a larger gut.) The best would be if they reviewed a place like Saks - stuck somewhere between middle class and upper middle class - a good place to get a Canali suit, and Dolce&Gabbana leather jacket to match the Seven jeans - because the buyers haven't bothered to follow trends since 2002.

Actualy, the Critical Shopper series does mix up its reviews of high end boutiques and mass market places. They've done reviews of small shops like Unis and Self Edge, department stores like Bergdorf and JC Penney, and chains like American Eagle and A&F. The last bunch is the most fun to read since the writers can be so merciless.

thatguymj

Reaction score
Went to GAP for the first time in probably 10 years as I my GF wanted to check out a sale there and had one of those 40% coupons. To me, it looked just like it did last I was in and the products seemed similar as well, but with a little better cut. Not impressed at all.

I did pick up a t neck cardigan in a linen/cotton blend that I am VERY pleased with given it cost me something like $11.32 on clearance. They also had a great dip-dyed oxford that I would have bought had it not be full retail. My GF made fun of me buying $200+ shirts all the time but scoffing at the $60 price tag since it was full priced.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
Actualy, the Critical Shopper series does mix up its reviews of high end boutiques and mass market places. They've done reviews of small shops like Unis and Self Edge, department stores like Bergdorf and JC Penney, and chains like American Eagle and A&F. The last bunch is the most fun to read since the writers can be so merciless.

I know, but they tend to go after the easy kill, while there are lots of high flyer boutiques that are due for a hard landing, imo. I mean, really, in NYC, there are, I'm going to peg it at a dozen, boutiques in Manhattan and Brooklyn that are pretty much interchangeable, and their buys have been stale since about 2007, but that get nice writeups in GQ and Esquire regularly.

*#..

Reaction score
I've bought some blank shirts from them and they fit me pretty well. Come sale time before Christmas, their blank t's were going for $5-6.

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
It's unfortunate, but The Gap just can't seem to get anything right these days. I bought a few items back in their late 90's heyday, and I was pleased with just everything about the experience. The prices were right, quality high, the store was very clean and organized, and the staff helpful.

For the price, quality was high. What happened is that they went after the biggest market possible
(in more ways than one), quality dropped more quickly than seemed conceivable, they raised prices sharply, and lost whatever leadership was responsible for their success in the first place. In other words, they got greedy and lazy.

Originally Posted by Meis
Is it just me or is their underwear really bad? I picked up some boxer briefs there last year and they were pretty horrible, fabric was ****, I mean markedly worse than merona(target) or hanes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads