• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

ferry

Reaction score

Ferry: How did you pay? When was it returned? Go back to your credit card company and file a chargeback. If you paid by PayPal you may of left it to late, however if the PayPal payment was funded with your credit card you will have a longer window to file a claim.
paid the jacket by credit card send it back in late may paid the shipment by cash. Can't see how the credit card company can help me out with this issue.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

paid the jacket by credit card send it back in late may paid the shipment by cash. Can't see how the credit card company can help me out with this issue.

I think you left it to late to make a claim. Most CC companies have a 120 day policy. However I still strongly advise you contact your credit card company and put in writing what has happened. There is Section 75 consumer credit card Act that gives you protection when things go wrong. Does your proof of return, tracking number still show the item was returned, do you still have copies of email communication with Coggles showing a return was agreed. Also contact Coggles, by email and follow it up with telephone call, ask to speak to a manager, and do not be fobbed off.

Eric Gill Sans

Reaction score

I think you left it to late to make a claim. Most CC companies have a 120 day policy. However I still strongly advise you contact your credit card company and put in writing what has happened. There is Section 75 consumer credit card Act that gives you protection when things go wrong. Does your proof of return, tracking number still show the item was returned, do you still have copies of email communication with Coggles showing a return was agreed. Also contact Coggles, by email and follow it up with telephone call, ask to speak to a manager, and do not be fobbed off.

I agree - you can't let Coggles get away with their Dispicable behavour

It is well documented on this thread with my experience of Coggles and they are not fit to be selling premium brands

They have a dysfunctional warehouse, returns and delivery system and a remote customer services department that have no understanding of the product and just see the same info that you or I see

ferry

Reaction score
I will see what I can do.. I made a reclaim or what to call it to the post service and the jacket had been delivered to the right address but picked up by some protein company owned by the hut group. Been telling that to the customer service at coggles, but they are just awaiting for the warehouse to verify the return. But I have seen the so called size S come and go in their stock after I sent it back.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this has already been discussed but Coggles was an independent fashion boutique based in the heart of York founded by Sarah Bage in the 1970's. It got into financial difficulty and the Hut Group bought the name and closed the physical stores but have continued to trade as Coggles online. Interstingly the other store in York that carries Cabourn (SuperDenim) is also an online retailer.

The Hut Group and Coggles share the same address:

Meridian House,
Gadbrook Park,
Rudheath,
Northwich,
Cheshire,
CW9 7RA

although on their contacts page states:

Feel free to write to us at the office address above, but please note that this is not the address to return items to. If you need to return a product to us, please contact Customer Service who will advise you how to proceed.

Call our Customer Service Team on 0161 813 1497

They shoudl have stock control records showing that the item was returned and then sold on.

Regardless, they should of refunded you by now.

cositgotdark

Reaction score
How do you gents keep your Cabournwear looking and smelling fresh? Some things are straightforward to keep clean but a lot of the outerwear involves fancy fabrics and a lot of hardware. I was thinking of getting a steam garment cleaner, does anyone have experience of using one? Would it be suitable for fabrics like ventile, tweed, mackintosh and knitted items? Obviously oilcloth and beeswax would be a no go!

Thanks

Last edited:

1989thenumber

Reaction score
Not to go off topic, but I think there is room in this thread for some discussion.

I took my first Real McCoys delivery tonight and I have to say that I'm thrilled with the styles I got. Both are denim pieces and both are very Cabournesque. I say that based on the styling, the quality the materials used and the construction. Both pieces are US Navy inspired, one being a replica from what I understand. They're both made of denim and of a very similiar weight to the Cabourn SS13 shirt jacket I just got from Rakuten. One even has butcher buttons that have anchors on them. Bot are SS pieces in my mind so I won't be wearing them for a few months now. Anyway, what really strikes me about them is that they very much look and feel like Cabourn pieces themselves. That's great because I think they'll lend themselves nicely and I'm already thinking about mixing the two brands when Spring comes. Quality is for the most part on par with Cabourn, only very slightly off. This is seen in the smaller details like the quality of the buttons or the pull strings. Buttons themselves are by no means bad, and in one case are probably to spec of the original piece, but just a bit below par. Also, I know there's been some discussion of pricing as compared to Cabourn, but it seems like The Real McCoys don't get marked down much if at all. Fortunately I my pieces at about half off, slightly more I think. Anyway, point is that Cabourn at the marked down prices is about the same if not less. I still prefer Cabourn, but loving The Real McCoys right now too.

This is continuing the "off topic" tangent, granted, but I just came back from my first visit to The Real McCoy's store in Tokyo. The store is beautiful and I spent a small fortune. I tried on their M65 and couldn't resist. Along with a bunch of other stuff. Got a bit carried away.

conak

Reaction score

Christmas comes early. Corniche have gone to Sale!!

Thanks for the heads up... Afraid no Christmas for me: I was finally about to pick up a mallory vest in 52. While adding my shipping details my browser froze. Reopened it, and by the time I'd returned to the site, 52 was sold out. So the wait continues...

conak

Reaction score
Quick, possibly crazy, question- has anyone ever 'shrunk washed' a mallory vest? I did it with a peaked lapel coat that was just too big, and the results were great? If anyone's done it, could you let me know the results? And other folks, can you think of any reason the results wouldn't work the same for the vest as the jackets?

Eric Gill Sans

Reaction score

Quick, possibly crazy, question- has anyone ever 'shrunk washed' a mallory vest? I did it with a peaked lapel coat that was just too big, and the results were great? If anyone's done it, could you let me know the results? And other folks, can you think of any reason the results wouldn't work the same for the vest as the jackets?

It's not that crazy
I've shrunk washed Nigels linen work pocket jacket and hospital waistcoat with great results
Others I know have shrunk washed a Mallory jacket with good results so I expect a mallory waistcoat will work well - I'd do it carefully by hand and reshape to dry - it's woolen tweed so have a search on Google to get some ideas on how to do it best
I'm definately going to shrink wash an AW (FW) 10 mallory which is on the big side

conak

Reaction score

It's not that crazy
I've shrunk washed Nigels linen work pocket jacket and hospital waistcoat with great results
Others I know have shrunk washed a Mallory jacket with good results so I expect a mallory waistcoat will work well - I'd do it carefully by hand and reshape to dry - it's woolen tweed so have a search on Google to get some ideas on how to do it best
I'm definately going to shrink wash an AW (FW) 10 mallory which is on the big side

Thanks for the help, I'll probably use it on a future color that runs out before sales bring it to my level, but looks like this year christmas spread: I was just about to take the chance and get a vest one size up, but then I decided that if corniche is having sales, maybe others followed suit. Sure enough I found a size 52 on sale for even better than Corniche. They didn't have the brown 'leather' I was looking for, but I suspect brown navy will serve my purposes well enough.

So FYI Everyone, Cultizm is also having a sale (at least on Cabourn, didn't look at the rest)

migsy999

Reaction score
Last edited:

conak

Reaction score

I've done the old rugged wash with a Mallory. I had a 48 that was a bit big. I managed to shrink it down by soaking twice. It goes down about half a size each time you do it.
I can't say for sure on a vest though. Here's a post with the details.

http://www.greyfoxblog.com/2012/05/dry-cleaning-tweed-jackets-try-hand.html

Yeah I used that blog as reference when shrinking an army stripe tweed peak lapel in 52. It actually came out better on me than a 50 (my actual size) because it fixed my usual problem of the sleeves being too long. I'd say I got nearly a full size shrinkage, though I did two 30 minute rounds soaking in very hot water followed by drying in an electric dryer. I managed to such a deal on it, but only size 52 so I figured I'd take the gamble and it paid off big.

It's the length shrinkage that has me worried about repeating the process (even if less aggressively) on a tweed vest. Eric Gils Sans does say it worked on his hospital waistcoat though. I'll at least have time to contemplate it now I've found a 52 in the color (mostly) I was looking for.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrlenzi