• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups

tanbar

Reaction score
I don't have a makeup which would be definitively better than any of the above, nearly all of which I really like, but just some general thoughts:

- for a contrast tongue on the waxed flesh, perhaps using the reverse of the same leather would be interesting
- red dainite with the natural CXL is a really nice detail

- Don't think having the waxed side inside would be ideal. Never have handled the waxed flesh before, but would imagine the waxiness could rub off on socks perhaps. Would much rather prefer either the waxed flesh itself (not reversed) or something along the lines of brown cxl.

- Agreed on the red dainite, would be awesome with the natural CXL. I threw up a natural cxl makeup with red dainite a few pages back, but it wasn't added to the OP.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 EYELET Black Service Boot
Model: Service boot
Last: 2040 or 2030
Leather: black french calf or other non-cxl, (what options are available? Cordovan?)
Leather (tongue): Black same as above.
Eyelets: 10 antique brass
Sole: Dainite, natural midsole.
Comments: partially structured

Received three likes on the following:

MINI RIPPLE SOLE BOOT (same as pic below)
Last: 2040
Leather: tan roughout
Leather (tongue): smooth side
Eyelets: 7 eyelet, brass
Sole: Mini ripple sole
MISC: Pull Tab
Comments: partially structured

75d22bb1_10508012_551583268277179_602486978_n.jpeg
I would absolute;y personally wear the pictured boot. I also like the idea of the riff on the Caboun boot. Once is more traditional and has a more heritage feel. This is more streetwear oriented, but with a definite nod to a very classic shape. And the colors are just brilliant. I guess that you can count that as 4. But it will still depend on who is willing to put their money where their mouths are.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Proposed makeups

Leather: Tan Horsehide
Leather (tongue): Tan Horsehide
Eyelets: 8 Vintage Brass Eyelets
Foam and Leather Foot Bed
Sole: Commando
Comments: partially structured toe, plain toe

Model: 145 Oxford
Leather: Tan Horsehide
Leather (tongue): Tan Horsehide
Eyelets: 5 Vintage Brass Eyelets
Foam and Leather Foot Bed
Sole: Commando
Comments: partially structured toe, plain toe

rutabaga

Reaction score
"Textured Smooth Chukka"
Model: Service boot chukka
Last: 2030
Leather: derby brown nut smooth (watch strap video) or brown bullhide smooth (two), (open to more suggestions)
Leather (tongue): matching
Eyelets: 3 hidden
Sole: dainite, natural midsole
Comments: Inspired from this 2030 dark brown chukka one, two, three. This aged bark chukka for Barneys. This aged bark chukka for Tate & Yoko.

Any print chromepak would be great for this, too. Navy print chromepak. Parsley chrompak with print from Nick's site.

Here's my plea: The above makeup is different than anything they're offering right now. This GMTO is a chance to get some unique makeups instead of shooting for a black calf boot in 10 eyelets instead of 8.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the goal should be one roughout boot, one sleeker boot (ahem, "The Gentleman's ****-Kicker") and one wild card, a la chukka or derby.

P.S. Viberg chukkas just look weird. As if the heavy soles are just too bulky for the rest. They look like wooden Dutch clogs.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the goal should be one roughout boot, one sleeker boot (ahem, "The Gentleman's ****-Kicker") and one wild card, a la chukka or derby.

P.S. Viberg chukkas just look weird. As if the heavy soles are just too bulky for the rest. They look like wooden Dutch clogs.
There is no real "goal", per se. It's what people want. If it's 3 service boots (and it's been this a lot), I'll do it. We will put the Cabourn inspired boot up for vote (with your $$$) for sure, since we have wanted it so long. The other 4 (total 5, we will make 3) pairs that are put up for vote, it will depend how many people actually want the boot, rather than how many people are kicking tires.

I don't mind the gentleman's shitkicker, but there is a group that wants to get really straight up workboot as well. And then there are a lot of other ideas up in the air. I'm going to say that there are a lot of boots that look pretty similar. Those guys should get together to figure out if they can find some common ground. Otherwise, some other makeup will make it into production.

Cheers,

Fok.

SLAB

Reaction score
okay; I'd also be interested in a 7 or 8" boot

Model: 8 inch Service boot
Last: 2030
Leather: dark coffee brown cow or horseleather
Leather (tongue): same or black
Eyelets: 8 antique brass (or however many Guy would suggest for a taller boot)
Sole: cats paw or vibram half soles or double leather
Comments: unstructured toe with brogue cap

something like the second boot on this picture

rutabaga

Reaction score
There is no real "goal", per se. It's what people want. If it's 3 service boots (and it's been this a lot), I'll do it. We will put the Cabourn inspired boot up for vote (with your $$$) for sure, since we have wanted it so long. The other 4 (total 5, we will make 3) pairs that are put up for vote, it will depend how many people actually want the boot, rather than how many people are kicking tires.

I don't mind the gentleman's shitkicker, but there is a group that wants to get really straight up workboot as well. And then there are a lot of other ideas up in the air. I'm going to say that there are a lot of boots that look pretty similar. Those guys should get together to figure out if they can find some common ground. Otherwise, some other makeup will make it into production.

Cheers,

Fok.
Chukka sneaking in the backdoor! ;)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woo...

I think that I got everything into the OP. From now on, please refer to the numbers, like Chinese restaurant. If I've forgotten something, number it, and I will add it. If something is redundant, I will delete it, but the numbers will stay the same, to avoid confusion.

Personally, I like the idea of the Cabourn boot, the mini-ripple sole boot, and then maybe a more unique black boot. I could see the gentleman shitkicker as a taller boot. I am pretty ambivalent about the plain black boots, mainly because the last time we tried it (in the drum dyed black, not in CXL), we could barely make the minimums, and I don't want one of those 3 spots going to something that only gets 4 orders, while some other boot might have gotten 20 or 30 people getting into them (see the snuff kudu and the Brown waxed CXL).

Incidentally, I did not add any of the makeups that list more than 1 last, and I am debating deleting those that give too much a range in other categories as well. You need to have an actually makeup that the factory can understand. The changes are what this thread is all about, but it's really hard to discuss the merits of a boot that is "this last, or maybe a last that is pretty different", obviously.

Right now, I want hands in the air for makeups. I am going to cut down the number for discussion down to 10 by the end of Tuesday. So, if you have any makeups to propose, now is the time to propose them. I am not going to do an anonymous vote, since it's too easy, and there is no accountability. If you are down to get a specific makeup, make a post that simply reads the numbers (as listed in the OP) that you are down for. Please vote only what you are actually interested in purchasing. And don't vote for more than 2 makeups, because we are trying to narrow things down here. BTW, don't vote for the shell. Those will just be lost votes. I've asked lots of times, and the answer has always been no. I'm sorta surprised that they are still being proposed.

Cheers,

Fok.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CAMPAIGN TRAIN ROLLING ON!

First choice: #17 (variation pictured above) is tops for me.

Second choice: #4 is something I'd strongly consider buying as a second pair. But why special order this? Viberg.com is planning a run soon...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics