• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New on the forum looking for some advise... My 1st post

newintown23

Reaction score
I seem to like the style of the Italian shoes as well. Where would be the best place to purchase gamos for cheap? I don't think I could ever buy used shoes. The thought grosses me out. I like how with the AE shoes, they can refresh them. Can you do those to gamos?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Ferragamos can be fairly easily resoled - but some others not so much.

The Tramezza line is sturdy, goodyear welted and can be readily recrafted.

Many of the other lines are going to be bologna construction - which makes for a super comfortable shoe - but not a terribly long lived one if you give them much wear on sidewalks/streets.

Others are blake construction which can be resoled by some.

In any case - if longevity is your concern - stick with Tramezza.

Last edited:

matt1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Return the suits. If you think you might regret it now, it will be way worse later.
If you have time you can do much better on eBay/B&S/other online retailers.

I just hate second guessing when it comes to buying suits. Most of the time I end up returning the suits when I start doubting it. But yes, there are good finds on eBay and other online retailers.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grenson's higher end shoes are very good. Most English shoemakers have several levels of quality. Do a search for a specific model and you should be able to get a gauge on them.

newintown23

Reaction score
Im speaking or the Grenson Roger... I love the shoe. Worth the money? I find many of the shoes they make attractive.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im speaking or the Grenson Roger... I love the shoe. Worth the money? I find many of the shoes they make attractive.

It looks like a decent plain toe blutcher, x2 eyelets are a bit strange though... :confused: In any case, if they fit well, and you like them, buy them. I have not heart too many negative comments on the brand in general.

newintown23

Reaction score
haha. i dont know why they catch my eye everytime i look at them, but im a fan. They look sleek and very euro style. Almost IMO could pass for an italian shoe. Thanks for your input

newintown23

Reaction score
38 belt and i took a 9d in the allen edmonds... wasnt to big of a fan of those shoes and the budget for SUBMITshoes is def not 1k :) more like 400 max :) Thanks though

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late to the thread, but I actually like the Hugo sharp/jam suits. The quality is lacking but the cut is very modern. Okay suit if you don't plan to have it for too long and if you can find it at a discount, but would never pay retail for one especially after spending some time on these boards.

The Hickey suits are cut slightly less modern (mainly due to lower armholes, higher button stance, and more padded shoulders), but they are half canvassed and great deals if you get them on sale. It would be very difficult to find anything else near that pricepoint with similar quality.

I'm curious why you decided to purchase 4 suits at once and have them all tailored? The only reason I'm asking is that it might be more worthwhile to invest in 2 "nicer" staple suits (i.e. RLBL or PRL) and then add more down the line. Your tastes or fit might change in a year.

Another brand that I think is very underrated and can be had very cheaply on sale are the RL Rugby suits (got one for < $300 on sale recently), which are supposingly half canvassed and are made in Italy. The cut is very slim fit and looks a lot like my RLBL Anthony suits. The only drawback is most Rubgy suits are 3-roll-2 rather than a true 2 button stance.

p.s. Just noticed you are in NY, you should check out Century 21. Haven't been there since I lived in Manhattan ~ 8 years ago, but they randomly have higher end suits for very cheap including Zegna, RL, etc.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads