1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

New on the forum looking for some advise... My 1st post

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by newintown23, Feb 17, 2012.

1. newintown23

newintown23 Well-Known Member

good advise! as always! ill stick with my appointment and prob go with the Glen Plaid as suggested! I will be sure to post pics of all of my new suits when they arrive or are made. Thanks again guys.It was such a spontaneous purchase on gilt.com for the David Reeves suit and i really liked some of his work I jumped on it immediately, but was having second thoughts now. I feel better about it now. Still need some more ties and shoes. Any more suggestions on them, keeping them trendy and stylish?

2. cbbuff

cbbuff Well-Known Member

Talk to DR about what you have and what you like/want and listen to his suggestions.

As for ties, Sam Hober is a great resource. Get a few grenadines in solid colors (Navy, burgundy, brown, etc). http://www.samhober.com/

Did you end up buying some AEs? If so, what models and colors? In general you should get a black calf oxford captoe or 1/4 brogue as a basic, conservative shoe. After that you have a lot of choices. A dark brown and a burgundy/oxblood would be the next colors to get, but you have a lot of leeway in styles. Oxford or blucher. Calf or Shell Cordovan. Wingtip, longwing, wholecut, plaintoe, captoe, it goes on and on. As far as brands to look at, AE is the starting point for good quality. Look at Alden, Crockett and Jones, Carmina, Alfred Sargent, Brooks Brothers (Peal & Co.), Grensen, Trickers. Up a level from there are Edward Green, John Lobb and Vass, if you want to have a look at the higher end. Check the threads on these brands and see what you like - there are a ton of photos of these shoes.

After the first 3 pairs or so, look at walnut/lighter browns, suedes, chukkas, boots, it goes on and on.

3. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

I've also had luck with Ferragamo, originale line or tramezza line. Happy hunting, ow, always try the shoe on before you buy. Too many variations, even within a given brand and lasts. Look forward to some good pics :D

4. Birks and Grey Socks

Birks and Grey Socks Well-Known Member

To, OP, glad our advice worked out on Suitsupply. It's really a great deal for a well made suit. I love my 2 Suitsupply suits. I'm off to the Netherlands next week, and will pick up some more, likely from their outlet. I also love my Zegnas, Cornelianis, and Canalis, but for the price, Suitsupply can't be beat.

Also agreed that if you have a few basic solid suits, then you can safely move on to some glen plaid and windowpane patterns for some variety.

^^^ I also have had great luck with Ferragamos, I love them even though they aren't the most Styleforum approved brand. But for my personal style I find the soles on most AE and most UK brand shoes too thick, even if they are goodyear. I prefer a much more svelte sole, with little overhang, and this is where esthetically, Italian brands are better to my eye. Just personal preference.

5. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Agreed.

And 'gamos run notoriously narrow.

6. newintown23

I seem to like the style of the Italian shoes as well. Where would be the best place to purchase gamos for cheap? I don't think I could ever buy used shoes. The thought grosses me out. I like how with the AE shoes, they can refresh them. Can you do those to gamos?

7. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Some Ferragamos can be fairly easily resoled - but some others not so much.

The Tramezza line is sturdy, goodyear welted and can be readily recrafted.

Many of the other lines are going to be bologna construction - which makes for a super comfortable shoe - but not a terribly long lived one if you give them much wear on sidewalks/streets.

Others are blake construction which can be resoled by some.

In any case - if longevity is your concern - stick with Tramezza.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  8. matt1

matt1 Well-Known Member

I just hate second guessing when it comes to buying suits. Most of the time I end up returning the suits when I start doubting it. But yes, there are good finds on eBay and other online retailers.

9. newintown23

I came across the Grenson shoes which i find very attractive. How are these shoes made?

10. JubeiSpiegel

Not sure myself, maybe a quick search would help :)

11. newintown23

I looked :) a lot of mixed reviews

12. JubeiSpiegel

In that case, I defer to the other gentleman on this forum.

13. cbbuff

cbbuff Well-Known Member

Grenson's higher end shoes are very good. Most English shoemakers have several levels of quality. Do a search for a specific model and you should be able to get a gauge on them.

14. newintown23

Im speaking or the Grenson Roger... I love the shoe. Worth the money? I find many of the shoes they make attractive.

15. JubeiSpiegel

It looks like a decent plain toe blutcher, x2 eyelets are a bit strange though... :confused: In any case, if they fit well, and you like them, buy them. I have not heart too many negative comments on the brand in general.

16. newintown23

haha. i dont know why they catch my eye everytime i look at them, but im a fan. They look sleek and very euro style. Almost IMO could pass for an italian shoe. Thanks for your input

17. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Well-Known Member

Have you checked Gravati shoes? Though if cash no problem, nothing beats John Lobb Jermyn III - a very beautiful pair going for lil more than half price on ebay right now

18. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Well-Known Member

19. newintown23

38 belt and i took a 9d in the allen edmonds... wasnt to big of a fan of those shoes and the budget for SUBMITshoes is def not 1k :) more like 400 max :) Thanks though

20. sportin_life

sportin_life Well-Known Member

Late to the thread, but I actually like the Hugo sharp/jam suits. The quality is lacking but the cut is very modern. Okay suit if you don't plan to have it for too long and if you can find it at a discount, but would never pay retail for one especially after spending some time on these boards.

The Hickey suits are cut slightly less modern (mainly due to lower armholes, higher button stance, and more padded shoulders), but they are half canvassed and great deals if you get them on sale. It would be very difficult to find anything else near that pricepoint with similar quality.

I'm curious why you decided to purchase 4 suits at once and have them all tailored? The only reason I'm asking is that it might be more worthwhile to invest in 2 "nicer" staple suits (i.e. RLBL or PRL) and then add more down the line. Your tastes or fit might change in a year.

Another brand that I think is very underrated and can be had very cheaply on sale are the RL Rugby suits (got one for < $300 on sale recently), which are supposingly half canvassed and are made in Italy. The cut is very slim fit and looks a lot like my RLBL Anthony suits. The only drawback is most Rubgy suits are 3-roll-2 rather than a true 2 button stance.

p.s. Just noticed you are in NY, you should check out Century 21. Haven't been there since I lived in Manhattan ~ 8 years ago, but they randomly have higher end suits for very cheap including Zegna, RL, etc.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012