• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

buttons

Reaction score

defo an ind coop boozer think the pic sez it all

I remember finding this pic in a book in the library when I was looking for summet for school.
Caption read "skinheads waiting for pub to open, 1970".
Pretty sure its about mid '69 though. The lad on the left crops up in a few old pictures from the time.

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
aces what a find that shoe shop i will be up there asap they didnt have prices on there site but by what you said theres a good saving i reckon the brouges on the samual windsor site are better than them ms ones i got a pair of there country brouges as they call them and a pair of suede chealsea boots for £90 the pair

Yes I had bought from Samuel Windsor a couple of years back thinking I had got a real bargain with a pair of brogues and chelsea boots but the quality and fit wern't quite right - you have to try things out and you get what you pay for

ek77

Reaction score

were did ya find it best one ive seen mate

i think this one was allready posted on here before along with 100s of other old pix.. so if you wanna find some nice pix you have to go back and check all the pages of this thread.. ;)

always liked this pic of a sheepskin worn by an early skinhead...

Last edited:

Aces and Eights

Reaction score
but my favorite cut of a sheepskin and also my favorite sheepskin picture is this one:

The sheepskins we had in 1969 were 3/4 legth to the knee. the collar was not as wide as the picture above. The leather 3 buttons were on a metal shaft with a nut fixing so that buttoning up was easy and not strained. We bought them from Harry Fenton high street clothes shops for £35 each equal to around £700 today. They were your pride and place of any of your clobber. My mate shill has his stored in his shed after 43 years and will not part with it including all his original Ben shermans that are still laid out in a chest of drawers he took with him when he left his mums house way back

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've often found that a lot of older garments like that are very ambiguous and do not feature the classic right hand/left hand buttons identifier and I still can't wrap my head around a sheepskin jacket.

Is it something like this? from the tv series mccloud?

More like this:

(c) P Thompson

It's a bit short, but I had long legs.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember finding this pic in a book in the library when I was looking for summet for school.
Caption read "skinheads waiting for pub to open, 1970".
Pretty sure its about mid '69 though. The lad on the left crops up in a few old pictures from the time.

I saw it in a photo book of the 1970s. It was one of the first pics. Could easily be the first half of 1970.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
welcome Coatsy and Jam74!

Jam74, we're from same era, mid-late 80s....I also grew up with oi/punk then eventually got into the original sounds later on. cant ever go wrong sticking with nicely tailored strides (staprest, wool trousers, whatever, as long as cut well and hemmed properly so not to look sloppy), nice brogues and a tucked in buttondown shirt. simple stuff that looks "skinhead" to someone in the know, but to any normals you'd just come off as a nicely attired gent.

buttons

Reaction score

I saw it in a photo book of the 1970s. It was one of the first pics. Could easily be the first half of 1970.

I was assuming (London) lads of pub-age would have moved on from high leg commando boots and white button downs by the middle of '70.
Another couple of the same lad(s).

Sirryacus

Reaction score
More like this:

(c) P Thompson
It's a bit short, but I had long legs.
Technically the Mccloud jacket is that long, not sure where you guys are getting the idea that is not as the picture I posted is cut off half way, I think we can chalk up these jackets to a 70's trend no matter what kind of background you came from.

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few years ago Next did a Leather Coat(knee length)with a Sheepskin Lining,in Dark Grey and Black.Missed out then but always fancied one!! :)

harrysgame

Reaction score

Evening one and all, best do a quick intro, Coatesy, skinhead, 45 (nearly), from Bristol, married, 2 kids one 10 the other 12, plasterer, know quite a few members on this thread, Roy,Shep,Will,Noddy and more i suspect.Roy told me about this thread a while back so i thought i'd get me ass in gear and have a look, bloody hell over 500 posts its taking some reading, good stuff and nice to see people sharing info, experiences, and opinions without it descending into the usual slanging matches which seem to happen on various other forums when it comes to clobber. Think thats about it, will try and join in and contribute although my knowledge is limited.

Nice to have you on board Coatsy. Oh and congratulations on your recent marriage.

harrysgame

Reaction score

On similar lines to womens coats buttoning up the opposite side to mens.

Is there any relevance of  a front main ZIP being on the opposite front side of a jacket (i.e. 'Dangly' bit on the wearers right hand side when doing up, for want of a more technical description)
I have vintage US ALPHA INDUSTIES bomber/flight, and field jackets like this. Is this a US style of zipper? Always wondered this.

Some classic American garments do seem to do up on the oposite side zipper wise. My Mrs bought me one of those American Chopper hoodies for Christmas a few years back. And it had the zipper on the opposite way around. I also had an Alpha Flight Jacket years ago that was like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics