• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

buttons

Reaction score

Hello Basset - Great clip, thanks for posting.
Brownie beat me to it with the Bowie/Skinhead quote, I was gonna say 'Aladdin Braces'.
The following photos are not for the purists with a nervous disposition.......:D...
Jesse Hector (Formerly of 60s bands The Way of Life, The Mod Section and Crushed Butler) Photographed in 1970 fronting the Hammersmith Gorillas. An ex Mod/Skinhead's look, more 'honest' than Slade's attempt I reckon.

Building up a good collection of 'Mods in Front of Caravans' photos, a few more here-http://www.flickr.com/groups/22014941@N00/pool/
Working on a 'Boot Boys'n'Bed and Breakfasts' collection too.

Just a thought Bunty but assuming the 2 pics are from a very similar time (as his hair is the same, I would be very doubtful if this was 1970.
The two tone clumpy shoes could be various things but unless they were tailored, I think ye'd struggle buying them ruperts in '70. And the suit jacket in the second pic - very typical '73 lapel (late '72 at the earliest).

And I love a pair of big sideboards but they're a bit much for my liking!

bunty

Reaction score
Funny you should say that Buttons..... the lapels didn't look '70 to me either....but I thought 'Nah, Paolo Hewitt wouldn't get his dates wrong in his carefully researched book* ' :D

*The A to Z of Mod by P H and Mark Baxter. (Missing out a big chunk in 'S' )

Basset

Reaction score
Good pics Bunty, always good to see pics showing how things were changing, blimey those burns are epic, dont want to move to far off topic, ruperts definately around 71, i think i might have the ones in this vid in me wardrobe
lol8[1].gif
3.50 in i think

buttons

Reaction score

Funny you should say that Buttons..... the lapels didn't look '70 to me either....but I thought 'Nah, Paolo Hewitt wouldn't get his dates wrong in his carefully researched book* ' :D
*The A to Z of Mod by P H and Mark Baxter. (Missing out a big chunk in 'S' )

Ha ha, as if Mr H would get a detail like that wrong!

Sidney Scott

Reaction score
Hello Basset - Great clip, thanks for posting.
Brownie beat me to it with the Bowie/Skinhead quote, I was gonna say 'Aladdin Braces'.
The following photos are not for the purists with a nervous disposition.......
biggrin.gif
Jesse Hector (Formerly of 60s bands The Way of Life, The Mod Section and Crushed Butler) Photographed in 1970 fronting the Hammersmith Gorillas. An ex Mod/Skinhead's look, more 'honest' than Slade's attempt I reckon.

Building up a good collection of 'Mods in Front of Caravans' photos, a few more here-http://www.flickr.com/groups/22014941@N00/pool/
Working on a 'Boot Boys'n'Bed and Breakfasts' collection too.
Ever read that horror novel 'Jekyll and Hyde'? I know which one this bloke reminds me of!

buttons

Reaction score

Margate -1970 x 2 (Copyright - Topfoto)
Margate70new.jpg

Margate1970new.jpg

Sorry, can't lose the watermark.

Have seen the odd picture of lads with their shirts hanging out - "the summer look of 1970" some have coined. i always thought it looked pretty scruffy. Was just wondering from the originals what was the opinion to this back then (when untucking your shirt was looked upon very differently to nowadays)?

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Have seen the odd picture of lads with their shirts hanging out - "the summer look of 1970" some have coined. i always thought it looked pretty scruffy. Was just wondering from the originals what was the opinion to this back then (when untucking your shirt was looked upon very differently to nowadays)?
I never - though maybe the memory has gone - did it.

I think it ultimately came about, in recent years, because people had (beer) bellies... and the 'shirt out' look partially disguises this.

I rarely saw a fat skinhead back 'in the day'.

That said: I stand to be corrected.

buttons

Reaction score

I never - though maybe the memory has gone - did it.
I think it ultimately came about, in recent years, because people had (beer) bellies... and the 'shirt out' look partially disguises this.
I rarely saw a fat skinhead back 'in the day'.
That said: I stand to be corrected.

Think you're right Ed, in more recent times as the 'partial disguise' (in a darts player kind of way!)

Different way of life back then - more active, working for a living, less time sitting at a computer talking to like minded fatties (!!), different diet etc etc and the fact that you were teenegers.
Couple of lads in the pic above of Aston Villa skinheads who like a snack between meals, one with a beard (very rare in such circles), but both not exactly the ones you'd pick out from the crowd and say "I wanna look more like him".

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Think you're right Ed, in more recent times as the 'partial disguise' (in a darts player kind of way!)

Different way of life back then - more active, working for a living, less time sitting at a computer talking to like minded fatties (!!), different diet etc etc and the fact that you were teenegers.
Couple of lads in the pic above of Aston Villa skinheads who like a snack between meals, one with a beard (very rare in such circles), but both not exactly the ones you'd pick out from the crowd and say "I wanna look more like him".
Good pic - love the way the scarves are tied in a more traditional 'cravat' style, as opposed to today's slightly effete variations - ducky. :D

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Please watch and listen  

Thanks Pete I had not seen that before.

For those of us that are fascinated with the period from 1965 - 1968 as Mod slowly evolved into hard mod and then skinhead, this is also well worth watching. I like the emphasis on the fact that the look was not extreme - elements of which will always be with us:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads