• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
It is a complicated topic. Army requirements changed slightly every year and different companies were making flight jackets for them so a lot of details varies...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
A modern repro of the original L2B :

View attachment 944927

Shouler straps and flap and snap fastener at the bottom.
The actual original L2s had a higher (almost gaucho) cut and were more sinched at the waist.
As Clouseau said, it's confusing because some L2s come without shoulder straps the same as MA1s.
There was more of a difference with the older ones. Not only were they a lighter jacket, but they had a different cut to them.

Always found this guy has The Look. L-2A lightweight flight jacket, Korea 1953. You probably know L2s and MA1s were first issued in blue. They were later issued in sage green for camouflage reasons.
K-2 flight suit, L-2A lightweight, Korea 1953.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff about the jackets fellas I love the military history of jackets and other items. Thanks. I didn’t know that the L2 seems to be a brief intermediary between the MA1 and the CWU of which I own both.

I got a knock off black MA1 in the nineties to do double duty as a ski jacket. It’s very bulky (Michelin Man!) and now I only throw it on eg on a rare cold day if I have to nip out to the shop etc.

For a more recent ski trip I got the black CWU45. I splattered it with Union flags and roundels so I can be easily identified from distance on the slopes. It’s shorter than the MA1 and somehow seems less bulky and warmer at the same time.

Either one is an option for the colder weather you have back home but they’re not that stylish and for me in most cases I’m reaching for a Harrington, a monkey jacket or a trucker before these, or if it’s cold I’m pulling out my A-2. Highway to the Danger Zone!!

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only ever seen one L2-B and it happened to have a collar on it , can't find a picture of such but I do have a pic of the N3-B which was also developed from the MA-1 but this time for colder climes . It was sometimes worn by Mods back in the day but I don't know about Skins. .

8b4bdcd87115b430607db31cc4aa753f.jpg

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only ever seen one L2-B and it happened to have a collar on it , can't find a picture of such but I do have a pic of the N3-B which was also developed from the MA-1 but this time for colder climes . It was sometimes worn by Mods back in the day but I don't know about Skins. .

I have the Real McCoy's version of this with the woolen inner(as opposed to poly fill), and it's great for our 125ºC New England winters. Excellent coat. Maybe not part of "the Look", but definitely more practical than a sheepskin when the weather turns.

And of course that'd be -25ºC. Yowza!

Last edited:

benj84

Reaction score
I have the Real McCoy's version of this with the woolen inner(as opposed to poly fill), and it's great for our 125ºC New England winters. Excellent coat. Maybe not part of "the Look", but definitely more practical than a sheepskin when the weather turns.
Jesus Botolph, you are a hard bastard if you wear a coat with wool lining at 125degrees c

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And of course that'd be -25ºC. Yowza!
Yeah the N3-B makes a decent coat with the wool batting and even more so if you have the real coyote fur hood trim. .
The navy coloured N3-A was popular here in the 7ts. .

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those parkas were known as ‘snorkels’ in England - usually navy blue - and no self respecting Mod in our set would be caught dead in one. I had one when I was 13 and wore it on the milk round, it may have slightly overlapped the earliest of my own Mod days but was worn purely for function in the brutal winters of 78 and 79 and never saw the light of day when I was ‘dressed up’.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babara