• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

flyfronted

Reaction score
28619187_10155109292036035_1969067864586956177_o.jpg

Inkss

Reaction score
Managed to pick myself up an Alpha Industries MA1 on ebay for £36.
Luckily it wasn't listed as either an MA1 or under Alpha Industries, but just as a 'green flight jacket', so nobody found it.
Not a big fan of the MA1, I was actually looking for a L2B/L2A to turn into a replica 'Major Kong' from Strangelove jacket.
Anyhoo, £36 though. Well chuffed none the less.
alfa.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Seems like a bargain. What’s the difference between MA1 and L2B?

Quick google search they look similar only L2B has shoulder straps.

What’s the history there, I thought the USAF went from MA1 to CW45 due to the nomex upgrade?

If i remember well the main difference is that L2B have less padding and are not as warm as MA1s. They were to be used in hot countries.

Edit: find this : 'Today, flight jackets are usually associated with the MA-1, a U.S. military jacket, which is mostly found in sage green. It is made with flight silk nylon and usually has an blaze orange lining, with the specification tag in the pocket, though earlier models had a sage green lining and the specification tag on the neck area. It has two slanted flap pockets on the front, two inner pockets, and a zipped pocket with pen holders on the left sleeve. The lighter weight version of the MA-1 is known as the L-2B flight jacket, which in turn, replaced both the original L2 and L2A jackets, which all three differentiate from the MA-1 as they have snap-down epaulets and no inside pockets. The military flight jackets currently used today are the CWU-45P. The CWU-45P is made for colder weather and the CWU-36P is for warm weather, both are made from Nomex. Nomex is a protective material.'

Last edited:

Inkss

Reaction score
A modern repro of the original L2B :

l2jack.jpg

Shouler straps and flap and snap fastener at the bottom.
The actual original L2s had a higher (almost gaucho) cut and were more sinched at the waist.
As Clouseau said, it's confusing because some L2s come without shoulder straps the same as MA1s.
There was more of a difference with the older ones. Not only were they a lighter jacket, but they had a different cut to them.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dietsandmore