• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

badgerbrush

Reaction score
If you have a 42" chest, I'd go with the 42R. You won't want to feel constricted in your upper arms.
If this is helpful, the p2p on a 40R is 21.25". The wool on this coat is very thick--noticeably more than on the Vintage.
The p2p on my 1949 Vintage 38R is 19.25".
Keep in mind that the Mil-Spec is a working man's coat. It is the Carhartt of peacoats.

Thanks, the p2p you gave on the 40R would be quite tight for me - given that the chest size (p2p 23") on the medium Bayswater I tried on was only slightly roomy, I think a p2p of 21" would be pushing it. Liking the thick wool - this will be a winter coat in Maryland so bring on the cold.

If I recall, you sent a peacoat back to Sterlingwear - may I ask how much return shipping usually runs?

rskimhs

Reaction score
damn Schott runs huge! i normally wear a 38 but had to size down to a 34 and it's still too big in the shoulders and chest. gonna try out one more possible size - their Slim fit Small...if not then i will turn to Sterlingwear

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, the more I look at the pictures, the more I think it is close to a perfect fit.
Are you serious? I think the arms are too long, but that's not a huge problem, isn't it?
This is my first experience with pea coats, so I am not so familiar how the sizing should be.

Peacoat

Reaction score

Liking the thick wool - this will be a winter coat in Maryland so bring on the cold.

Yes, if you will be wearing it in the Maryland winter, you will want a sweater underneath, so a size 40 may be a little too much of a tight fit. My vintage size 42s are just a bit large through the torso with no sweater, but that doesn't concern me. When I want a fitted look without a sweater, I go to my size 40. So, it really takes two pea coats to get the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, the p2p you gave on the 40R would be quite tight for me - given that the chest size (p2p 23") on the medium Bayswater I tried on was only slightly roomy, I think a p2p of 21" would be pushing it. Liking the thick wool - this will be a winter coat in Maryland so bring on the cold.

If I recall, you sent a peacoat back to Sterlingwear - may I ask how much return shipping usually runs?

About $9 UPS. Maybe it is cheaper with US Mail.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Holy crap. An XS is too large? In any case, ideally, any topcoat, whether it's a peacoat or an overcoat, should fit pretty much like a good-fitting blazer or suit coat. There shouldn't be much extra material anywhere--not more than a half-fist's worth when you pull the buttoned front, sleeves just hitting the top of your hands, back barely covering your butt. It should feel snug.

charliebrown2

Reaction score
I just received the J. Crew Bayswater in XS, and I am not sure about the fit.
Is it the jacket too big and are the sleeves too long?
The lower lapels don't lay down, but stick up all the time. How do I make them lay down like all the pea coats?

Hey Dingus, what are your height and weight stats? I'm 5'5" about 140lb and I also just bought the Bayswater in XS posted earlier:

I too was concerned about sleeve length and jacket length. I'm reading that the sleeves are easily alterable. The jacket length (maybe an inch or so below my butt) I'm starting to adjust to. I'm trying to convince myself the length is "acceptable", but not perfect...

Last edited:

nautikal

Reaction score
I finally got the three peacoats I ordered, Sterlingwear authentic 32s and 34s and J Crew baysweater XS, but I'm not happy with any. The J Crew is way too long, the 34s looks too big (especially in back and arms), and the vent is flaring on the 32s (a problem I often have with vented jackets). I think both coats look pretty good in the front, but not so good in the back. Any ideas? Frustrated...

Also, in case you were wondering the 34s is navy and the 32s is black even though I ordered both in black. I kind of like the navy better though.

34s:

34s front

34s side

34s offset

34s rear

32s:

32s front

32s side

32s offset

32s rear

Peacoat

Reaction score
Nautikal: First of all the coat flares at the vent because your hip/pelvis/butt area is larger than the standard.. As you say, you often have that problem with most coats; it won't be any better with pea coats.

The 32s is too short in the sleeves. Torso appears to be OK. Flare at the vent is more pronounced because it is a smaller size.

I think the 34s is a good fit and that is the one you should keep. May want to have the sleeves lengthened if your shirt or sweater sleeves show below the cuff--otherwise it isn't a problem. Yes, it is a little large in the rear, but that is just the way it is. I wouldn't let it bother me. I have a high end leather jacket or two that fit me the same way.

Please let us know your chest measurement and the p2p of the two coats. This will be of use to other posters.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads