• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nautikal: The 32 and the 34 are pretty close. The only real difference I see is in that vent in back on the 32--looks like the fit there is too tight, with the vent opening too much. I also like the navy color better.

And hey, you guys, flip those collars! Peacoats are weird looking with the collar down.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And don't button all the buttons. On a 6-button coat like the J. Crew bayswater, you button the inside hidden button and then the middle outside button. That's it. Not the top or the bottiom, ever. And flip the collar!

Davll

Reaction score
Peacoat, could I get your recommendation for Sterlingwear sizing?

I'm 5' 9 1/2", 130 lbs, waist = 30", chest 35.5", p2p 14". I did the chest/p2p measurements myself so hopefully it's fairly accurate. I'd probably want to layer under the coat.

Thanks!

Edit: as a side note, has anybody had experience with shipping to Canada? What company do they use as a courier, and what are the duties like?

Peacoat

Reaction score

I'm 5' 9 1/2", 130 lbs, waist = 30", chest 35.5", p2p 14". I did the chest/p2p measurements myself so hopefully it's fairly accurate. I'd probably want to layer under the coat.
Thanks!

We don't take pit to pit measurements on ourselves, only on the garments. As we can measure all the way around our chests, we do so for accuracy.

I would say a size 34 might give you the best fit in the chest, but the other areas might be off. I think Sterlingwear has a section at its website that gives measurements of the different parts of the coats.

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Dingus, what are your height and weight stats? I'm 5'5" about 140lb and I also just bought the Bayswater in XS posted earlier:

I too was concerned about sleeve length and jacket length. I'm reading that the sleeves are easily alterable. The jacket length (maybe an inch or so below my butt) I'm starting to adjust to. I'm trying to convince myself the length is "acceptable", but not perfect...
I am 5'7'' and 120 lbs. Nothing ever fits me, especially tops and sweaters :( I have to buy everything from a tailor. I can't even find a OTR suit/blazer that fits me, and I can't afford a tailormade suit right now, because I am student. BUHU.

bik2101

Reaction score
Thanks!
Edit: as a side note, has anybody had experience with shipping to Canada? What company do they use as a courier, and what are the duties like?

We don't take pit to pit measurements on ourselves, only on the garments. As we can measure all the way around our chests, we do so for accuracy.
I would say a size 34 might give you the best fit in the chest, but the other areas might be off. I think Sterlingwear has a section at its website that gives measurements of the different parts of the coats.

i wouldn't go with those measurements. they're pretty inaccurate across the board.
for your reference, i'm 5'8" 140lb, 37-38" chest, and i've found that 36R in the authentic fits well for me. unfortunately even if you email the customer service it looks like they don't actually measure the coats but just give you the measurements listed on their website. so you might end up having to order two sizes if your not sure and returning one.

charliebrown2

Reaction score
I am 5'7'' and 120 lbs. Nothing ever fits me, especially tops and sweaters :( I have to buy everything from a tailor. I can't even find a OTR suit/blazer that fits me, and I can't afford a tailormade suit right now, because I am student. BUHU.

super lean lol. Hmm, you have 2inches on me and you're worried about the coat length....maybe no matter how much I convince myself, the XS is probably too long for me too :(

Peacoat

Reaction score

And don't button all the buttons. On a 6-button coat like the J. Crew bayswater, you button the inside hidden button and then the middle outside button. That's it. Not the top or the bottiom, ever. And flip the collar!

When Winter hits you there in the mountains, you may change your recommendation about the buttons!

McQ7

Reaction score
Well, I just got my 1940s/early 50s peacoat in the mail, size 38 on the label, and it is in amazing shape!! No stains, no tears, no visible worn spots, excellent. Now for the not so good news--it is just slightly too large. The chest is great, but the arms are too long and the shoulders are too wide, and the overall length is just a bit too long. So yeah, once again I can confirm that I am, indeed, a 38 short, haha.

The measurements are:

20.5 p2p
25 arm shoulder seam to end of sleeve
17.5 inside arm seam from pit to end of sleeve
19.5 shoulder back seam to seam
33 top of collar to bottom end of coat

I was about to list it in the classifieds in case anyone wanted to grab it from me, but I've apparently got to wait 45 days to list anything. If it isn't against any rules, I'd say to send me a message if there's any interest. Mods, feel free to give me a heads up on this. Don't want to be the relatively new guy breaking any rules. Thanks :)

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

When Winter hits you there in the mountains, you may change your recommendation about the buttons!

Not really. Style trumps everything!

Cmaster03

Reaction score
Just got this vintage beauty in and wanted to share. Best I can tell according to Pea Coat's great article, I think it is late 40s or early 50s. Size is 44, and it has tan corduroy-lined pockets. Condition is very good plus, maybe excellent. One place in lining at left armhole that needs to be re-sewn, and it has a small, old repair on the back. But after returning from the cleaners it looks nearly new and crisp overall (better than the pics which were taken before the dry cleaners).

This is my first experience with one of the kersey wool coats and I really like it. The wool is noticeably heavier and smoother than on my late 80s Sterlingwear. This 44 fits me fine and is actually a little generous in the size department (I'm just under 6'3 and 195 pounds - I could probably get by with a 42 for a more modern "slim fit").

I got this one on evil bay and it was fifty bucks plus shipping, which I consider money very well spent. I looked at some modern "mall" Pea Coats while out shopping with my wife today and the quality doesn't compare. Not even close. These vintage kersey coats, if made today with this quality of wool and attention to detail, would probably cost a fortune IMHO.

Say, like somewhere around the 700 bones a Billy Reid goes for, I guess. :D

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

nautikal

Reaction score

Nautikal: First of all the coat flares at the vent because your hip/pelvis/butt area is larger than the standard.. As you say, you often have that problem with most coats; it won't be any better with pea coats.
The 32s is too short in the sleeves. Torso appears to be OK. Flare at the vent is more pronounced because it is a smaller size.
I think the 34s is a good fit and that is the one you should keep. May want to have the sleeves lengthened if your shirt or sweater sleeves show below the cuff--otherwise it isn't a problem. Yes, it is a little large in the rear, but that is just the way it is. I wouldn't let it bother me. I have a high end leather jacket or two that fit me the same way.
Please let us know your chest measurement and the p2p of the two coats. This will be of use to other posters.

Yep, my shoulders and chest are too small relative to my hips and booty, so any tops other than anything tucked in or a sweater are difficult to fit, especially vented jackets. Guess I need to keep hitting the gym. Maybe if I add enough mass to my chest and shoulders things will balance out more...

The 34s is a bit big in the shoulders as well, and I don't like how padded the shoulders are. So I will probably just stick to my down jacket and maybe get a custom tailored peacoat for next winter.

Also, here's the p2p measurements of each. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to measure seam to seam or the total width so here are pictures:

J.Crew XS, About 20.0"

Sterlingwear Authentic 34s, About 19.25"

Sterlingwear Authentic 32s, About 18.5"

Last edited:

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
^ Good steal. Maybe I ought to check Bay more often.
A quick search for "vintage peacoat", "sterlingwear peacoat", "kersey peacoat" brings up a few decent peacoats.

If anyone is looking for a cheap, beater peacoat: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/sportier-wool-blend-peacoat.aspx?a=1101122
Just know that it is 90/10 polyester / wool-blend shell Still... $19.99 FS with code: SH974.

"Uncheck the "Add Package Protection for only 99¢" in the shipping method area."

Peacoat

Reaction score

^ Good steal. Maybe I ought to check Bay more often.
A quick search for "vintage peacoat", "sterlingwear peacoat", "kersey peacoat" brings up a few decent peacoats.
If anyone is looking for a cheap, beater peacoat: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/sportier-wool-blend-peacoat.aspx?a=1101122
Just know that it is 90/10 polyester / wool-blend shell Still... $19.99 FS with code: SH974.
"Uncheck the "Add Package Protection for only 99¢" in the shipping method area."

Unfortunately, most sellers of pea coats aren't savvy enough to know to list their coats as vintage or Kersey. They really have no idea what they have. Many will list them as a WWII Peacoat. When I ask them why they listed a 1976 peacoat as WWII, the answer usually is, "Well, it looked old."

So, if you limit your search to the terms you listed above, you will likely miss out of many fine coats. I can't remember now what my best search terms were, but I believe I only limited it to pea coats in the men's section. I still got a whole bunch of junk, but at least I eliminated all the female fashion garbage--and there is a lot of it.

I would set my search to "Ending Soonest" so I wouldn't miss anything. I would look at several days worth of listings, and then when I got tired of looking, I could go back to the same place the next time I searched.

I quickly learned to scan the listings very quickly. One way to either eliminate, or include, the current issue pea coats is to scan for the white square tag at the back of the neck. It is easily visible in most of the pictures posted, so easy to tell that the coat listed is current issue or not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads