• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Update regarding the stingray, to those who were surprised at the flat texture on my stingrays, this is part of a message from Tony at G&G:
well the skin that you have on these shoes is a shaved skin, stingray comes in 2 finishes, 1/ natural which is more bumps and consistent in colour ( as the picture attached) this is the kind we usually use.
2/ this is a shaven and polished skin, it is exactly the same, apart from this has the top surface sanded off, leaving a more two toned effect, kind of whit and black, making it look grey.
I'm pretty sure I will get the G&Gs...but now I am considering keeping the Meermins as well - the G&Gs will likely take quite a while to complete, and I don't want to be without stingrays after waiting for a while for these...also I like these more every time I look at them. The plasticky finish has kind of worn off a bit since they came out of the box, the brilliance of the skin really shows nicely in the right light. Decisions...

yay.. keep them! its a really cool looking shoe. If i wasnt a shell cordovan whore, I would have had the Jodhpur made in either croc or stingray

Last edited:

Tommi

Reaction score
A pair of light brown bluchers (leather soles, Rui last, not pictured on website) coming this way!

tom153

Reaction score
Looks like New Rey. Is this an MTO finish? It only seems like they've got dark brown and black listed on the site.

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
They are New Rey- great spotting.

Not MTO, they were actually in their tumblr before the website was up and running. I thought i had missed out as i emailed around the time that he said he had stopped taking mail orders, but he emailed back and said they were in stock. The model number 10164- Linea Mastro Captoe Semi-brogue Oxford.

By off- do you mean off centre? Might just be the angle- in real life they look ok to me (disclaimer: I am a novice!). Very pleased with them. In fact- I had thought about buying a pair of carminas next but these might do my shoe fetish for a while...

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
congrats! yeah it might have been the angle after all. how do you like the fit?

Last edited:

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
I've tried one on briefly but i will put a more comprehensive post up soon.

Im not a great one to ask as I am only new to my sartorial journey so cant compare (I have a pair of G&G Rothschild but havent officially worn them yet either!)

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked these up today. Size 11 on the Rui Last.

Very pleased with them. For the $220 or so AUD I paid for them, including the 50 euro delivery, I'm pretty impressed. Seem to compete with 1880 Loake in construction, but nicer leather by some. Will report back on their break in/wearing once I get a chance.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are New Rey- great spotting.

Not MTO, they were actually in their tumblr before the website was up and running. I thought i had missed out as i emailed around the time that he said he had stopped taking mail orders, but he emailed back and said they were in stock. The model number 10164- Linea Mastro Captoe Semi-brogue Oxford.
Just so that I understand you right now, if one chooses a shoe that is not available on their website but on their tumblr, Meermin won't charge you the extra cost (+50€) for the MTO? That would mean that you payed 250€ for that specific shoe without trees and shipping although the shoe isn't available on the website?

Awesome shoe btw, considering something like that on the New Rey last, but have to figure out my size first. What does Meermin call that color?

Last edited:

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
Ive grabbed the colour from the order form- Im assuming the colour is dark brown calf although its clearly got red/tan in it. I dont know what the colour is!

Upper Leather: Naturcalf Cuero (Tannerie d'Annonay - France)
Lining Leather: Dark brown Calf

Im not sure what the procedures are now as the website wasnt up when i ordered. Im sure Pepe will prob start to put more shoes on the website as time progresses. Got home and tried them on. Love them. The hell is a bit tight, but i dont have wide feet so it isnt a problem. I cant really compare them with any other know brands (my second pair of grown up shoes!) such as Crockett and Jones, Carmina etc so i cant really help people there to be honest.

The leather looks and feels great on my feet and i guess thats all that counts. Excuse the bad photos- tried do them quickly so my GF didnt catch me dressing up and taking photos to put on the internet!

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure I will get the G&Gs...but now I am considering keeping the Meermins as well - the G&Gs will likely take quite a while to complete, and I don't want to be without stingrays after waiting for a while for these...also I like these more every time I look at them. The plasticky finish has kind of worn off a bit since they came out of the box, the brilliance of the skin really shows nicely in the right light. Decisions...

Well I'm definitely keeping them now as they went for their maiden voyage last night. I have to say I like them a ton. It's really hard to get a sense of what the stingray is like until you wear it out at night. And it's truly spectacular. The photos I posted earlier really don't capture at all what the shoes look like in a locale with nice evening lighting, or strolling on the streets at night. Definitely my favorite evening shoe on nights when I don't mind attracting a little attention with some sparkly shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads