• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MC General Chat

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear cardigans under suit and sport coats as soon as it starts getting cold. I see it as the relaxed, less stuck-up cousin of the waistcoat.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I've been wearing Uniqlo for several seasons FWIW, a new one each season, and they are more fitted. They do look a bit fussy but with an OCBD that has a nice collar roll, looks fine. However, I don't think it looks as flattering compared to a jacket. The cardigan due to its cut and choice of fabric hugs my body more so than hangs, which Boyer's cardigan does very well in the latter.

I have the same experience with cardigans. Mine are usually somewhat fitted - or at least, they hug the body more than Boyer's. I find it makes my narrow shoulders look narrower than they are, which in turn makes me look paunchier than I am. Not sure if I just don't have the body type for it. Or maybe I should try embracing a looser fit.

I like a v-neck on its own. Fond as I am of crewnecks, I read them as kind of an Ivy cue that makes me gravitate towards chinos and an overall kind of "what a nice young man" look, which is not always what I'm looking for: sometimes I want jeans and a more open collar if I'm choosing to wear just a sweater. Sort of a more louche thing. Kinda like this guy, from Allan Warren's 1986 book The Dukes Of Great Britain.*

I also like just a v-neck under a coat, either with an open collar and jeans, or with cord/moleskin trousers and tie. I don't think it automatically looks too fussy, but it is a risk one runs. I tend to wear that kind of thing when I want to be a bit more dressed, but not more formal. I don't know if I'd do one with wool trousers, for example, or with a spread collar shirt (other than a tattersall).

Also, this is unrelated, but those Meermin shell boots of yours are fantastic.

Yea, I like all those Milstil/ Italian Industrialist photos of guys in v-necks and cardigans, but feel like there's often a glamour about British royalty and Italian industrialists that clouds the picture. At least, when I and other Americans put on a v-neck and chinos, it just looks a bit too ... not sure what the word is ... maybe boring? Or at least not as great as those Milstil photos.

Thanks for the kind words about the boots, btw.

I wear cardigans under suit and sport coats as soon as it starts getting cold. I see it as the relaxed, less stuck-up cousin of the waistcoat.

Actually, you were one of the examples I could think of. I think there are some photos of you in a cardigan and sport coat floating around that I liked a lot. A couple from the last StyFo trunk show come to mind.

Mark/ yfyf also pulls them off well.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, I like all those Milstil/ Italian Industrialist photos of guys in v-necks and cardigans, but feel like there's often a glamour about British royalty and Italian industrialists that clouds the picture. At least, when I and other Americans put on a v-neck and chinos, it just looks a bit too ... not sure what the word is ... maybe boring? Or at least not as great as those Milstil photos.

Thanks for the kind words about the boots, btw.
Yeah, there's a glamour factor that I don't exactly have, though I try to look through that as much as possible. That shot is accompanied by this one, which has a little less coolth:

Also, what were you positing as the alternative to the casual v-neck? Because my mind went to "crewneck," which is more square (and ministerial, with the wrong shirt). I also have trouble with a sweater and chinos (unless I'm aiming for square), but in the cooler months, my go-to pants are denim.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Also, what were you positing as the alternative to the casual v-neck? Because my mind went to "crewneck," which is more square (and ministerial, with the wrong shirt). I also have trouble with a sweater and chinos (unless I'm aiming for square), but in the cooler months, my go-to pants are denim.

I mostly wear crewnecks. IMO, a simple merino one (like the v-necks we're talking about, but with a different collar style) won't have that baggage of making you look like you're trying to "dress up." I feel like I've seen too many guys think that dressing up is putting on a collared shirt and v-neck, and it's created a stigma that I just can't shake from my head. As you said, it has a quaint "nice boy look." (At least when worn alone with a collared shirt and chinos).

More than that though, I think you have a wider variety of sweaters in crewnecks, any of which would be more interesting. Lots of stuff with patterns, textures, etc. You can have those too in v-necks, but when I'm talking about v-necks, I'm talking about those plain, thin merino kind you find everywhere.

Last edited:

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear v-necks with button down collar shirts all the time. Cardigans less often but they make it into the rotation. Generally without a sport coat, but with a windbreaker, paired with slim chinos or 5 pocket cords and chukka boots. It's that late 60's west coast ivy look - Paul Newman, John Cassavettes, Steve McQueen. I feel like I've been dressing that way since high school.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mostly wear crewnecks. IMO, a simple merino one (like the v-necks we're talking about, but with a different collar style) won't have that baggage of making you look like you're trying to "dress up." I feel like I've seen too many guys think that dressing up is putting on a collared shirt and v-neck, and it's created a stigma that I just can't shake from my head. As you said, it has a quaint "nice boy look." (At least when worn alone with a collared shirt and chinos).

More than that though, I think you have a wider variety of sweaters in crewnecks, any of which would be more interesting. Lots of stuff with patterns, textures, etc. You can have those too in v-necks, but when I'm talking about v-necks, I'm talking about those plain, thin merino kind you find everywhere.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there: trying to make a sweater without a coat look "dressy" is a move ruined by people doing it badly.

I think I'm picturing the kind of look you take issue with now: merino v-neck, shirt in some non-classic pattern, indifferent chinos, bad shoes. If young, make everything too tight and add narrow, wire-rimmed glasses, if older, make everything too loose and add cell phone holster.

If you're playing with some of the same cues as that kind of thing, then yeah, a crewneck would be better.

I tend to go for heavy gauge cottons, shetlands, or cable knits, plus more casual trousers/shoes/attitude, so the individual neckline doesn't play into it quite as much.

Christopher Essex

Reaction score
Not having to wear a jacket and tie to work in my office (although I do on Fridays as a F-U to the casual Friday vibe), wearing a cashmere v-neck with an open-collar shirt and trousers (moleskin, corduroy, flannel) is my go-to winter outfit.

While I like the idea of a cardigan, I too feel it's more of a lounge-y at-home garment and I don't have any currently.

I really like the idea of a shawl-collar cardigan that's a bit longer than most as a replacement for a sport coat, but the only one I've ever seen that I like was one that someone had made custom (@gettoasty, wasn't that yours from Inis Meain?)

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Christopher Essex It was a MTO 6A Inverallan shawl cardigan (made into a long robe)

I wish I can reorder... it was great.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It did not quite fit into my typical rotation though in hindsight I should have kept for lounging around at home during fall-winter. Like I said, I'd reorder if MTO was still available

I ended up selling on the buy&sell marketplace

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on. No one lounges around in an Inverallan - it rough as an urchin chainmail coat... ;)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on. No one lounges around in an Inverallan - it rough as an urchin chainmail coat...
wink.gif
Not everyone has your baby soft skin :)

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Didn't know where else to put this. F. Scott Fitzgerald was into texture it seems. Though perhaps the tie is just patterned:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love texture, I am bored with the worsted smooth fabrics of the world right now. That fabric would make a great sports coat...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads