1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

MC General Chat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieworkwear, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Harrison's Mirage is pretty decent, though I go in and out of liking certain patterns -- most of them are decidedly summery. I'm intrigued to see the Harrison's Icarus book as all the fabrics in there are w/l/s mix, but with higher concentrations of wool, which is right up my alley. Cacciopoli also has a few in their latest book.

I'll have to check out LP when I sit down with my tailor.

2. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Is anyone wearing 100% cotton suits these days? I've always liked the looks of a khaki suit in a fine twill with a slight Olive cast or a Bone White with a white, blue or pink shirt for Spring/Summer.

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I put in an order for an olive green 100% cotton suit with NSM last year, but changed the fabric. Originally picked some 9/10 oz Caccioppoli number, but decided I wanted something heavier. Dino hasn't gotten back to me on whether or not he has heavier cottons, however. Wondering if I should just go with something simple, like Brisbane.

If the olive cotton works out, I think I'll get something in khaki.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  4. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

I have a blue solaro-ish herringbone cotton (Drapers) suit that I wear on occasions in spring/summer.

Edit, pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Gonna have a tan cotton Solaro suit made this spring. Same material as the NMWA Formosa.

2 people like this.
  6. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

I picked up a cotton gab recently for a song. I've always struggled with the wrinkles but decided to just accept it.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I'm considering the black and white nailhead looking one in Mirage for this summer.

8. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

That's a great look NOBD. You need to wear that again and post a full shot.

9. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Thx, Murlsquirl. No need for that...

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I once had a light weight olive cotton suit. The darker color seems to disguise some wrinkles. A lighter weight is especially nice if you plan to be in a hot humid climate. It was ideal for my trips to Atlanta or Dallas in the summer. For Bay Area use, I could see wanting a nice heavy twill.

I have always liked the look of pink shirts or purple ties with blue shirts with cotton olive suits. It gives a solid olive suit a bit of spunk in S/S.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    2 people like this.
  11. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

Me too; only problem is, most caucasian complexions don't look good in them (myself included).

12. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Hmmmm....I have an opposite opinion on caucasian complexions and natural linen. I think it can look quite nice. But it also depends on how you mix materials and colors in the entire outfit.

Too many guys want to add bright shiny ties or deep rich or dark colors with natural linen and that rarely looks good to my eyes. I think the best combo is with muted earth tones, worn denim, etc.

1 person likes this.
  13. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

Great and inspiring as always. Wish you posted more often.

2 people like this.
  14. etostano

etostano Well-Known Member

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

Well, I have like four fresco suits already and there isn't very much variation in cloth type to warrant getting more, at least what fits my style. Mirage is plenty airy, especially compared for 14oz linen that seems to be all the rage.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  16. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is what you're looking for Ventura, but this is a photo from Duckie Brown show.

[​IMG]

17. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I was just reading this and scratching my head thinking, "linen knitwear? I can't even imagine what that would be like..." then realised that I am actually wearing a linen knit T-shirt right now.

In fact I have two linen knit Tees, one linen knit polo shirt and one crew-neck long-sleeve jumper. All four of them are from Canali - no idea who supplied the fabric - maybe Loro Piana? Anyway they are fantastically comfortable and very informal; the tees and polo are really just slopwear for summer days around the house or going to the shops; the long-sleeve top can be worked into SWD fits or even paired with a jacket for an MC-casual look.

I always wondered how these garments got their elasticity and retained their shape - @dieworkwear 's explanation above makes me think that there's probably some synthetic in there.

18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

I had a linen sweater from Loro Piana once. It weighed so much, and was so cumbersome in the warm months, even at night, I abandoned it and the idea of all linen knitwear after that.

19. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I love linen knits - even well into the fall.

20. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

Linen knits are a good way to layer without overheating. Even in winter with flannels and moleskins. Quick shot of one I'm wearing today:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.