• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men: Final Season

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, so what message was Bert giving Don right after Don just made millions? Reconcile with his kids? Betty or Megan?

^put your house in order before you become what happens in the opening credits.

there was a Grantland podcast explaining that last season was supposed to be the *real ending to the show (the last season finale where don brings his kids to the whore house and shows them the truth of his life).

AMC was weary of having Breaking Bad and Mad Men leaving a huge vacuum ending both simultaneously so they added a "season" to mad men.

Last edited:

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

there was a Grantland podcast explaining that last season was supposed to be the *real ending to the show (the last season finale where don brings his kids to the whore house and shows them the truth of his life).

AMC was weary of having Breaking Bad and Mad Men leaving a huge vacuum ending both simultaneously so they added a "season" to mad men.

That would have been a fitting end to the show.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just watching it off the DVR now, first commercial break. Don just pulled a pure alpha move getting the motion put to a vote. Joan is a **** and forgets she got to where she is through her ****, but before that, how Don guarded and championed her. She should die penniless.

Yeah, Joan is being a bit of a ***** now, but remember that she was instrumental in running the old Sterling Cooper, assisting in the creation of the new SCDP (no one but her knew what they would need and where it was) and, distasteful as it was, banging that fat guy to get Jaguar. She earned that 5% share and deserves to make some money.

Btw: $1.5M in 1969 = $9.4M today.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
One detail that made me chuckle about the closing scene was Bert was in sock feet. If we look upon the song and dance as Bert giving Don some advice, while simultaneously reflecting on his life in some way, it makes perfect symmetry to that interview I read with Weiner where he said the last episode will have an elderly Don looking back on it all. Megan is now gone, but it was a friendly parting, and Don is truly alone in the world again family wise.

Yeah, Roger turns into a warrior over the thought of losing Don. It was pretty impressive and the "leadership" mantle that Burt was talking about has passed to Roger. The partner's meeting where they vote on the buy out clearly left Roger in the leader's share and everyone voted his way.

Now, speaking of leadership, nice bit of it demonstrated by Don in handing over the Burger Chef pitch to Penny.

Thought Peggy losing her son/little brother was a good scene.

Nomination for most uncomfortable yet funny scene in all of Mad Men? The secretary giving Don the letter from Harry.

BillP

Reaction score

Yeah, Joan is being a bit of a ***** now, but remember that she was instrumental in running the old Sterling Cooper, assisting in the creation of the new SCDP (no one but her knew what they would need and where it was) and, distasteful as it was, banging that fat guy to get Jaguar. She earned that 5% share and deserves to make some money.

Btw: $1.5M in 1969 = $9.4M today.

But as Burt sang "The Best Things in Life Are Free."

I thought it was the best episode of the "1/2" season!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Is it just me or are Don's ties noticeably wider now?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don putting the motion to fire him to a vote is right up there with his walking into the Commander Cigarettes meeting IMO as his most impressive moments of the year. The way he handed things off to Peggy for Burger Chef was pretty good too.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now that was a freaking awesome episode.

its really impressive how they have turned joan from a rather likable woman, who has in one or another worked her way up despite some pretty significant difficulty to a completely insufferable *****. i wonder of they have some sort of demise planned for her and are prepping us for that by making her a "bad guy" so no one gets mad when she hits the curb.

i liked how they put roger in the drivers seat. bert was right that has not been a leader for quite some time, but he has it in him and its nice to see him grab the reigns.

i did wonder though if they really felt it was time for bert to go, or if they did that because it was a great way to set up where they are now.

jim cutler is a tool bag.

it seems to me that don has been making a number of positive steps to being a better person. his reactions to being "fired" and to "losing" megan were quite good. his going back to work was very solid and his interactions with sally greatly improved. i find it interesting that they keep hanging don over a cliff, but never fully letting him fall. there has always been something or someone to reel him in before things went to far. either way, id like to see him land on top.

another thing that always confuses me, pete is a pretty successful account man, and yet is a total whiner/*****/baby in so many other ways. i always wondered how that works exactly. separation of church and state so to speak?

most importantly, this episode proved that knowledge is power. jim was only really able to potentially vote don out with ted on his side, and had anyone else known what he knew about ted, he would have had no play. but better still, had anyone but roger known the reality of GM/buick, he never could have pulled his move.

and as well, don play with giving peggy the floor to pitch burger chef was both kind and brilliant.

damn i wish more episodes were this good.

FunLovinStyle

Reaction score

One detail that made me chuckle about the closing scene was Bert was in sock feet. If we look upon the song and dance as Bert giving Don some advice, while simultaneously reflecting on his life in some way, it makes perfect symmetry to that interview I read with Weiner where he said the last episode will have an elderly Don looking back on it all. Megan is now gone, but it was a friendly parting, and Don is truly alone in the world again family wise.

Yeah, Roger turns into a warrior over the thought of losing Don. It was pretty impressive and the "leadership" mantle that Burt was talking about has passed to Roger. The partner's meeting where they vote on the buy out clearly left Roger in the leader's share and everyone voted his way.

You got me thinking. Bert was to Roger as... Roger is to Don. There are a lot of parallels. I wonder if the conclusion is that Roger slides into the Bert personality and Don slides into the Roger personality. Sterling Cooper turns into Sterling Draper. Roger walks around in sock feet (hey, he's got the hippie experience now). Don has a few heart attacks.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

You got me thinking. Bert was to Roger as... Roger is to Don. There are a lot of parallels. I wonder if the conclusion is that Roger slides into the Bert personality and Don slides into the Roger personality. Sterling Cooper turns into Sterling Draper. Roger walks around in sock feet (hey, he's got the hippie experience now). Don has a few heart attacks.

You forgot as Don is to Peggy.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember hearing many seasons ago that the show would end with Draper as an old man in modern times.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe the show was planned for 6 but they made it 7, but there is no way the show could have ended after season 6 as it was imo.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

another thing that always confuses me, pete is a pretty successful account man, and yet is a total whiner/*****/baby in so many other ways. i always wondered how that works exactly. separation of church and state so to speak?

Many good points and agree that it was a solid episode. I've always thought that Pete is very much the beta male trying to puff out his chest without success. However much money he may bring from his accounts, he's never going to be a true leader and he's never going to have the confidence that a Don or Roger have.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads