• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Louis Vuitton, WTF?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in Vietnam for two weeks or so shadowing some doctors in a free clinic, and I can't help but notice that even in country that is not as developed (if you want to argue this, please. just try crossing a street), that there are middle aged women in balling ass clothes and a ******* LV monogram bag.

Like what the ****?

I remember asking a few friends in Korea why they bought the bags (legit ones from a legit store, few grand in dorras) and they said it's because it looks pretty and that all girls need myungpum (brand) bags.

I don't get it. How the **** did this **** ever take off? They're honestly the most ugly pieces of accessories I've ever laid my eyes on, but every single woman in South Korea has at least one. And I'm sure a lot of them are fakes.

In the case that they're fake, what's the point in buying a badly made product that is ugly to boot?

Also, I've always wanted to ask are the legit bags quality enough to warrant $2000 some dollars, or is it mostly markup on a hyped shittily made product? I don't know enough about bag manufacturing, but I remember dis mentioning that it's made in italy and undergo extremely high quality checks.

Is the leather even actual leather? Is it even good leather? If it's good leather why the **** cover it with ******* monograms?

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I met some people in China that saved up a few months salary to get these phones that were outragously out of their pricerange.

w.kevin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
I don't get it. How the **** did this **** ever take off? They're honestly the most ugly pieces of accessories I've ever laid my eyes on, but every single woman in South Korea has at least one. And I'm sure a lot of them are fakes. In the case that they're fake, what's the point in buying a badly made product that is ugly to boot? Also, I've always wanted to ask are the legit bags quality enough to warrant $2000 some dollars, or is it mostly markup on a hyped shittily made product? I don't know enough about bag manufacturing, but I remember dis mentioning that it's made in italy and undergo extremely high quality checks. Is the leather even actual leather? Is it even good leather? If it's good leather why the **** cover it with ******* monograms?
Have you been living in a bubble all this time?
facepalm.gif
LV bags are status products, so it's pretty likely that the bags you see are legit. As to how they managed to afford them... salary/savings, rich boyfriend, illegitimate money.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just don't understand why it's a status product. Is the bag itself enough quality to warrant the high cost or is it marked up extremely high just so it can be a status product?

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand why it's a status product. Is the bag itself enough quality to warrant the high cost or is it marked up extremely high just so it can be a status product?

Likely started off the former, ended up the latter.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
Likely started off the former, ended up the latter.

isn't the SF groupthink about purchasing fewer "quality" items over a bunch of cheaper items? (ugly or not)

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Often both? Well it depends, just like with luggage you have the "cheaper" cashcows and the high-end bags that are pricier and better. LV is generally well made... As for why well LV evokes European notions of aristocracy/high bourgeoisie that is very appealing to the asian market.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It just kind of pisses me off.

Like the other day at the free clinic, there was on really old lady who had COPD (and a bunch of nasty stuff like bronchitis, fibrosis, really bad lung sounds) and she couldn't afford any treatment (the clinic gave her a free nebulizer). She works really hard at some commune and the government basically just ignores these people.

There was another girl who had edema everywhere (ankles, peritoneum, bladders, really bad pulmonary edema), and severe mitral valve regurgitation. She was really cute (like when she grows she could for sure be a model, if only she eats enough to food to be taller than most vietnamese). She's only 14 years old and on the verge of renal failure, but her family not only can't pay for the treatment, but proper treatment isn't even available in all of Vietnam (apparently no pathologist or radiologist quality enough). The doctor I work with said the best option would be to send her overseas to the States and they clearly can't afford that.

In the midst of all this poverty, why the **** would anybody want to spend $2000 on a really ****** piece of accessory? Like who the **** are you trying to impress?

@Dash. Well LV is the most prevalent offender.

@Fuuma. Are they really that quality? I dunno. Maybe the bags I felt were fake or something, but the leather seemed really cheap and thin. I honestly want to know how they're made and what they're made from.

I guess what would piss me off even more is if the bags are just some ****** product marked up just so some fatass CEO can make a shitload of money. I can appreciate luxury if the high cost of the product mostly comes from high cost of production, but all this about high cost for the sake of high cost makes me sick. Like all the BAPE out there. High price just so sheeplike consumers can pay high price.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
It just kind of pisses me off.

Like the other day at the free clinic, there was on really old lady who had COPD (and a bunch of nasty stuff like bronchitis, fibrosis, really bad lung sounds) and she couldn't afford any treatment (the clinic gave her a free nebulizer). She works really hard at some commune and the government basically just ignores these people.

There was another girl who had edema everywhere (ankles, peritoneum, bladders, really bad pulmonary edema), and severe mitral valve regurgitation. She was really cute (like when she grows she could for sure be a model, if only she eats enough to food to be taller than most vietnamese). She's only 14 years old and on the verge of renal failure, but her family not only can't pay for the treatment, but proper treatment isn't even available in all of Vietnam (apparently no pathologist or radiologist quality enough). The doctor I work with said the best option would be to send her overseas to the States and they clearly can't afford that.

In the midst of all this poverty, why the **** would anybody want to spend $2000 on a really ****** piece of accessory? Like who the **** are you trying to impress?

@Dash. Well LV is the most prevalent offender.

@Fuuma. Are they really that quality? I dunno. Maybe the bags I felt were fake or something, but the leather seemed really cheap and thin. I honestly want to know how they're made and what they're made from.

I guess what would piss me off even more is if the bags are just some ****** product marked up just so some fatass CEO can make a shitload of money. I can appreciate luxury if the high cost of the product mostly comes from high cost of production, but all this about high cost for the sake of high cost makes me sick. Like all the BAPE out there. High price just so sheeplike consumers can pay high price.

I have LV luggage, it is made of quality leather and top notch stuff.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well 7 jeans I could see how people think it's actually a quality product. Like most people don't know enough of about manufacturing of denim to say this is or isn't quality.

But LV bags. Come on. People clearly don't buy for the quality. But if Fuuma is right, I guess maybe they do.

Bleah. I need to stop cursing on teh interwebz

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads