• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Details on fabric used for Gloverall duffle coats?

circleoflife

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This may be too geeky, but I'm obsessed about finding out the details of the fabric used in the Gloverall duffle coats.

I'm a big fan of duffle coats for the classic all-time appeal, straight neutral silhouette, and just overall great look. And I've spent enough time on the internet and this forum to zone in on Gloverall. I bought a rust color Original Monty in early 2020 ($645 back then):

I just fell in love with this color - it's not too bright, eyes-burning red, nor too bland and dark. Just the right color that stands out but is pleasing to the eye (at least mine).

When I first got the coat, the feel of the material was so new and astounding, and basically an explosion of wonderful tactile and sensory experiences. I had never before had any coat that was made of such a thick spongy coarse but enjoyable wool fabric. (well, I never had a wool coat to begin with -- this was my first wool coat, and I had been searching for years to even find out the name "duffle coat", ever since I first happened to come across the elegant knee-length wool coat with those unique unforgettable toggles.)

This is what got me so bothered about trying to learn about the fabric of these duffle coats. Unfortunately, there isn't much info out there. There are some short articles that talk about the history of the duffle coat in very general terms, and mention early fabrics like "duffel", "loden", "melton" etc. I don't think I have access to a brick-and-mortar store where I might familiarize myself with these different fabrics.

In particular, I was curious about the fabric that Gloverall uses for their Original Monty duffel coat. I've seen some numbers thrown around, like "34oz fabric weight" in regards to fabric weight of duffle coats. I don't have a way to visualize it nor do I have the tactile/sensory reference point to gauge it. But still I would like to know.

People say the vintage coats are heavier and thicker. Are there any catalogs or comparisons to say if the thickness has kept going down over the years? I got mine in 2020, and it is a 85% wool/15% polyamide blend. Is there any way to find out what fabric it is, and what is the weight, and how to gauge the relative quality of it. Where would I be able to get some of this fabric?

Sorry if my post is a bit off topic for this forum.

Reaction score
  • The Gloverall Duffle coat I bought in the Fall of 1970 for my freshman year at university is still going strong. Im 71 and wearing it today. Mine has the leather thongs and horn toggles, it's also 85/15.. I would call call the guys at O'Connells in Buffalo,NY, tele: 1-800-0076. They are very helpfull and worth a try. Good luck.
Mac

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads