• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An interesting observation on pack behaviour:

We had four dogs. A jack russell who was alpha dog and getting up in years (11 I think), a pudding jack who was subordinate, a ridgie puppy who was on level with the pudding jack, and an older ridgeback female who played mom to all of them. The alpha jack disappeared (he'll do this for a week or two on the regular) and hasn't shown up in a couple of months. The last time this happened we found him in Dallas (yay microchipping!). We're pretty sure that he's dead. Apparently the pudding jack is pretty sure that he's dead too. He went from chumming it up with Nandi (our baby ridgie) to growling and snarling every time she got near him, which was what our jack russell used to do. Unfortunately, Nandi as growing quickly and has some killer instinct in her. The fights seem like they might get vicious if they don't cool it, so we're teaching her to respect Mo's authority so that he doesn't get killed. It may go the other way however if she doesn't learn to back off. While she has size and youth on him, Nandi goes for the back of Mo's neck and catches his scruff, while he goes straight for her throat.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My two Boston Terriers, this is what they look like 20 hours a day. They are great dogs and very good with my two young girls.

An old gf of mine had a Boston. Miss that dog about 100 times more than I miss the girl.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

An interesting observation on pack behaviour:

We had four dogs. A jack russell who was alpha dog and getting up in years (11 I think), a pudding jack who was subordinate, a ridgie puppy who was on level with the pudding jack, and an older ridgeback female who played mom to all of them. The alpha jack disappeared (he'll do this for a week or two on the regular) and hasn't shown up in a couple of months. The last time this happened we found him in Dallas (yay microchipping!). We're pretty sure that he's dead. Apparently the pudding jack is pretty sure that he's dead too. He went from chumming it up with Nandi (our baby ridgie) to growling and snarling every time she got near him, which was what our jack russell used to do. Unfortunately, Nandi as growing quickly and has some killer instinct in her. The fights seem like they might get vicious if they don't cool it, so we're teaching her to respect Mo's authority so that he doesn't get killed. It may go the other way however if she doesn't learn to back off. While she has size and youth on him, Nandi goes for the back of Mo's neck and catches his scruff, while he goes straight for her throat.

What are you doing to reinforce Nandi's lead? Are you the alpha uber alles?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What the hell is a Pudding Jack?

Interesting protection film from 1949 Italy which I believe is narrated by Piero Scanziani, the founder of the Neapolitan Mastiff. Great Danes, Boxers, GSDs, German Schnauzers and early Mastinos are all represented.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Search-and-Rescue Dogs of 9/11 - Retriever edition. Photographs from the forthcoming book “Retrieved,” to be published in September.

livesDOGS-slide-4H1Z-custom1.jpg

Moxie, age 13, Winthrop, Mass. She arrived at the World Trade Center site on Sept. 11 and began working the next morning. Though she is trained to find survivors, she identified six bodies and many body parts during the eight days she worked there. Since her owner retired her at age 7, she has hunted and spent time on the waterfront.

livesDOGS-slide-XYSW-custom1.jpg

Orion, age 13, Vacaville, Calif. He worked at the World Trade Center for five days after the attacks and later participated in searches for missing hikers in the High Sierras, at elevations of as much as 12,000 feet. Orion’s owner says that the dog ‘‘loved the work. His purpose in living was doing search and rescue work.’’

livesDOGS-slide-RJ3C-custom1.jpg

Guinness, age 14, Highland, Calif. He worked at the World Trade Center site for 10 days. In the wake of Katrina and other catastrophic hurricanes, he searched for survivors in areas where the water receded. Guinness’s owner says, ‘‘We keep the training fun for the dogs; it’s like a game for them.’’

livesDOGS-slide-KPCW-custom1.jpg

Red, age 11, Annapolis, Md. Trained as a ‘‘live find’’ dog as well as a ‘‘cadaver’’ dog. Red was driven by her owner to the Pentagon after the attacks, and she worked for 11 days, finding remains for DNA identification in the north parking-lot area. She retired in July. Her owner says, ‘‘Red wants to work, but her body just can’t do it anymore.’’

livesDOGS-slide-JCOC-custom1.jpg

Bailey, age 14, Thompson Station, Tenn. She went to the Pentagon following the attacks of 9/11. Later in her career, she was active in wilderness searches in her home state. Her owner says: ‘‘Even today, if I say we’re going to search, she’ll get all excited. She still perks up.’’

livesDOGS-slide-Q71Z-custom1.jpg

Tara, age 16, Ipswich, Mass. She arrived at the World Trade Center site at about 1 a.m. the day after the attacks. At that time, her owner says, ‘‘there was a lot of hope that people would be found alive.’’ Over her nine-year career, she located the victim of a crane collapse and participated in wilderness searches. She died earlier this year.

livesDOGS-slide-LW8X-custom1.jpg

Bretagne, age 12, Cypress, Tex. She worked at ground zero for 10 days; it was her first deployment. Subsequently, her seven years of active duty included searching for survivors in areas affected by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

lefty

Last edited:

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope ya'll aren't sick of my pictures yet, but I can't help it; I really, really, like my dog.

In the woods where I grew up:

By the river below:

On the river:

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hope ya'll aren't sick of my pictures yet

I like them. Because she seems like a cool dog, and because you have taken over for me in terms of spamming the dog thread with personal dog photos. :nodding:

Do you have an trouble keeping her in the boat?

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I like them. Because she seems like a cool dog, and because you have taken over for me in terms of spamming the dog thread with personal dog photos. :nodding:

Is your dog still eating everything that's not tied down?

^^^I enjoy pics of the dog, keep posting them.

+1

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^She's never been too bad in terms of chewing on things she's not supposed to. Still destroys all her toys though. Has not eaten any tennis balls in more than a year.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the inlaws have gotten their hovawart puppy... Still baffled about why they took the most curious, fearless puppy from the bunch as it will be truly tough to raise this one, but damn this is a cute puppy.. Will post pics in the coming days when i get some time..

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not really, it was a bit harder to get her in. She is only just getting used to being a water dog so she is still a little shy about getting wet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads