• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Westbourne. I wish JL would venture out a little more and emulate the PS collaboration.

I wouldn't say venture out, as I see, John Lobb has (mostly) lost the right path and offers now commercial and too casual models which don't reflect their classic legacy and commitment to superior craftsmanship. Really nothing exciting lately, hopefully it's just something temporary.

Personally, I would rather choose older models, if they are willing to produce them.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say venture out, as I see, John Lobb has (mostly) lost the right path and offers now commercial and too casual models which don't reflect their classic legacy and commitment to superior craftsmanship. Really nothing exciting lately, hopefully it's just something temporary.

Personally, I would rather choose older models, if they are willing to produce them.
I concur wholeheartedly

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A lot of their older models are available for MTO.

tuna roll

Reaction score
Could anyone comment how the 4395 last (Lopez) fits? Specially compared to Alden's Van and Barrie, also JM Weston 180's.

I'm looking for new loafers and sizing is always tricky for me. Highish instep and wide feet (E in Alden's LHS)...

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could anyone comment how the 4395 last (Lopez) fits? Specially compared to Alden's Van and Barrie, also JM Weston 180's.

I'm looking for new loafers and sizing is always tricky for me. Highish instep and wide feet (E in Alden's LHS)...
Find the 4395 a little loose at the heal compared to the Barrie. The other can’t comment on

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never knew that.
Pity it is on the 7,000,
would make more sense to be on the 8,000

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried the Lopez on, they didn't fit at all, overall too roomy, the heel is too wide, resulting in a big slippage.

I have a narrow foot and a rather low instep, so it could work for you.

Last edited:

tuna roll

Reaction score
Find the 4395 a little loose at the heal compared to the Barrie. The other can’t comment on
Thanks.
I tried the Lopez on, they didn't fit at all, overall too roomy, the heel is too wide, resulting in a big slippage.

thanks! I’ll drop by the NY store this week and give them a try.

I’m an E in most Alden lasts, hope they have the wider version available in store.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

thanks! I’ll drop by the NY store this week and give them a try.

I’m an E in most Alden lasts, hope they have the wider version available in store.
Dug through photos as out atm… Wear the Alden far more than the Lobbs, though, that may be because they are suede.
A01B8BFA-13E2-4645-99BB-D2585EC4D275.jpeg
DFAB1ADA-54FE-4CB4-988F-6C83DE3A4FC7.jpeg
3E2E673A-BECA-474A-A875-66142B6715EE.jpeg

The Lobbs do actually wear better overall, but heel slippage is real on both Lobb and Aldens.

ForwardPleats

Reaction score
A lot of their older models are available for MTO.
I looked into this and I was told otherwise by a sales associate directly.

Sounds like our feet are rather similar in shape. Do you by chance have any experience with the 4098 that the Fencote comes on? I've been able to potentially locate an old stock pair online in what should be my size.

I'm just a little wary because I tried the Adley on the 0215 last, which is supposed to be another slim almond toe, and despite a relatively good fit overall, I found the toe box too narrow for my larger foot. The 4098 looks less sharp in the toebox in photos I can find, but it hard to know for certain.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked into this and I was told otherwise by a sales associate directly.

Sounds like our feet are rather similar in shape. Do you by chance have any experience with the 4098 that the Fencote comes on? I've been able to potentially locate an old stock pair online in what should be my size.

I'm just a little wary because I tried the Adley on the 0215 last, which is supposed to be another slim almond toe, and despite a relatively good fit overall, I found the toe box too narrow for my larger foot. The 4098 looks less sharp in the toebox in photos I can find, but it hard to know for certain.

I had some older models made as MTO some years ago, but was told they didn't do that gladly. Don't know now, but doesn't surprise me, if they don't do that any longer.

The Fencote is a nice model I was considering at the time, but unfortunately, they were not willing to provide a try-on pair, so I had to give up, because a less than perfect fit on a loafer is not acceptable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads