• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
you guys aren't getting free shipping on top of the 25% are you?

If you go in-store and order it off the nuclear phone can you combine the 25% with the free shipping they normally give you?

Yes, I did this yesterday evening.

It will not work on any third party item that is not currently listed on the website (the sales representative's computer would not allow them to add, in this case, Alden Indy boots to the sales queue and complete the sale).

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stewbone
Went ahead and sold my shares today. Came out 35% ahead (bought at 32), looks like I may do some more shopping haha...

Smart. I think that it will not appreciate too much further.

As not everyone may have an investment banking background, J. Crew going private is most likely a good decision for the company, as it allows them to make significant internal changes, without having to answer to shareholders, who may not be as in tune with their market and strategy. Also, from an accounting perspective, to use an analogy, restructuring a private company is like trying to turn a mid-sized yacht versus in the case of a public company, turning a Carnival cruise liner.

As for the average J. Crew consumer, we will not know whether J. Crew's restructuring and shift in strategy will significantly effect us until it is more clear what they plan on doing. Clearly the company has been introducing higher price points. Could they continue to test higher price points on their general line? Possibly, but you might recall that J. Crew was selling at significantly higher prices on average three or so seasons ago, and has since paired back a little. Further, smartly, J. Crew typically reserves their higher price points for collaborations, while still retaining consistent mid-priced offerings.

J. Crew has recently expanded in to Canada. Could they perhaps be considering the American retail store kiss-of-death and aggressively expanding internationally? Again, probably not unless they plan on going public again after the restructuring, as the key advantage of being public is the equity, which is germane to rapid growth. However, J. Crew has done a pretty good job of not expanding its brick-and-mortar stores too aggressively, thus limiting their exposure, as well as adding to the sense that their items are more exclusive then, say, a sweater at The Gap.

I just hope that it incorporates more coupons on J. Crew x Alden collaborations!

dmass1

Reaction score
What do you all think about their bowery twill pants? Does anyone have a pair? I'm thinking about picking up a classic fit pair in either navy or or clove.

Which color is more versatile? I'm thinking clove, but I have a lot of khaki colored pants and no navy

What about the bowery heather twill (only comes in heather grey?

amstokesdb9

Reaction score

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does their factory "tailored fit" stuff have the same "tailored fit" as the rest of their items/.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Don't buy the factory garbage! You'll regret it. Seriously. The quality sucks!
Originally Posted by blackboard_knowledge
Smart. I think that it will not appreciate too much further. As not everyone may have an investment banking background, J. Crew going private is most likely a good decision for the company, as it allows them to make significant internal changes, without having to answer to shareholders, who may not be as in tune with their market and strategy. Also, from an accounting perspective, to use an analogy, restructuring a private company is like trying to turn a mid-sized yacht versus in the case of a public company, turning a Carnival cruise liner. As for the average J. Crew consumer, we will not know whether J. Crew's restructuring and shift in strategy will significantly effect us until it is more clear what they plan on doing. Clearly the company has been introducing higher price points. Could they continue to test higher price points on their general line? Possibly, but you might recall that J. Crew was selling at significantly higher prices on average three or so seasons ago, and has since paired back a little. Further, smartly, J. Crew typically reserves their higher price points for collaborations, while still retaining consistent mid-priced offerings. J. Crew has recently expanded in to Canada. Could they perhaps be considering the American retail store kiss-of-death and aggressively expanding internationally? Again, probably not unless they plan on going public again after the restructuring, as the key advantage of being public is the equity, which is germane to rapid growth. However, J. Crew has done a pretty good job of not expanding its brick-and-mortar stores too aggressively, thus limiting their exposure, as well as adding to the sense that their items are more exclusive then, say, a sweater at The Gap. I just hope that it incorporates more coupons on J. Crew x Alden collaborations!
Thanks for the analysis. No investment banking background here, but I've taken corporate finance.

WildPegasus

Reaction score
For the Field mechanic's jacket is dark straw the colour to get or is faded black equally nice? And does anyone have any pictures of it in faded black?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did J.Crew get rid of their tailored fit button downs? Right now it seems like they only have "regular fit" and "slim fit." Some of their polos etc. have "tailored fit" but no Button downs (OCBD's in particular). Unless "slim fit" is the new "tailored fit." The SoHo men's store was out of anything but regular fit so i wasn't able to assess for myself.

Sylvr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chris lewis
Pretty sure the slim fit replaced the tailored fit.

no, their tailored fit is now their "regular fit" and the slim is slimmer than the jcrew we were used to.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambz
Do the stores usually do anything special for Black Friday?
Not sure if it was specifically for black friday, but at my local Jcrew all of their Levi's collab jeans were marked down to $19.99. Mostly had the "Best Blues" and a dark resin wash, but $19.99 isn't bad any way you cut it.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
Not sure if it was specifically for black friday, but at my local Jcrew all of their Levi's collab jeans were marked down to $19.99. Mostly had the "Best Blues" and a dark resin wash, but $19.99 isn't bad any way you cut it.

They are really shooting themselves in the foot with this one. The Best Blues Levi's debuted at $158 last year. Now they can't get rid of them for $19.99.

Why would the savy consumer ever want to pay full price for a pair of Levi's again at J Crew? Maybe the head honchos at J Crew don't care? Maybe that collab is essentially done and over so they're just trying to move the stock? (doubt it, cuz there was a new Levis x J Crew skinny jean offered this Fall).

Aunty-way, the Best Blues Selvage at 19.99 are a real treat. Love mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads