• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Items one can cut out of his wardrobe

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Didn't any of you guys play Magic: the Gathering in middle school? I always preferred a one or two color deck with the fewest number of cards. A bigger deck with more diverse cards just made it harder to strategize.
No.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shoes...
devil.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Didn't any of you guys play Magic: the Gathering in middle school? I always preferred a one or two color deck with the fewest number of cards. A bigger deck with more diverse cards just made it harder to strategize.
In Star Trek II, Khan's mistake was thinking in only two dimensions. But it made it easier to strategize. Also, despite my Star Trek ref, I can say I've never played Magic.

IndianBoyz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
I didn't need to give kids any more reason to pick on me in junior high.

+1

That's the reason I always hung with the cool kids, even though I wasn't.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PicardWtf.jpg

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
not playing magic doesn't mean that you aren't/wern't a nerd, it just means that you're old

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
not playing magic doesn't mean that you aren't/wern't a nerd, it just means that you're old

No..it means your a nerd...sorry.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
btw I've always had a theory that people who are super obsessive about clothes are just replacing one nerdy inclination with another. having an absurd knowledge of outdated fashions and the intricacies of types of cloth is no different than knowing a shitload about magic or star trek

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's SUCH an interesting theory !!

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
One shoe, one shirt, one trouser, one square. That's all you need.

Works for you, perhaps, but that kind of (gilded) austerity isn't for everyone. In the original post, I wrote, "even a wardrobe of breathtaking variety that can provide clothing suitable for any occasion just does not need in great variety?"

As for shoes, I couldn't disagree more. Having only a small fraction of my nice shoe rotation currently available to me* has proven very annoying. I'm used to wearing a pair of shoes perhaps 3-4x a year, except for five pairs of "go to" shoes I tend to slip on I'm in a hurry (black and brown JMW 180's, brown EG Westminster double-monks, Alden No. 8 shell chukkas). Perhaps the addition of a pair of Vass cognac pebblegrain Budapester courtesy of Tom will help a little.

*Brown JM Weston 180s, Materna nailed-sole Norweger in cognac pebblegrain, Vass London in black pebblegrain with commando soles, Testoni rubber-sole black Venetian loafers for stormy days, JLP bespoke black captoes, PS/Grenson chestnut wholecuts, AE 5th Ave black captoes, black CT/Loake ankle boots for weekend evenings. Supplemented by a pair of AE Lamberts in chili pebblegrain I bought at an AE tent sale on the way up. I also brought a couple pairs of sneakers ranging from Adidas workout shoes to Reiter Sports.)

Originally Posted by David Reeves
Collar stays. Especially redundant if you heavily starch collars!

Interesting. I never thought of collar stays as a wardrobe item per se, though I do have a little wallet of brass ones in three sizes from NM that are all I use.

Originally Posted by HRoi
i thought the thread was about "cut out", not "cut down".
<...>
braces

"Cut out" was probably poor choice of words on my part. "Cut down" would've probably been more what I meant. It was the process of culling my wardrobe last month to just items that would fit in a Miata, while maintaining the ability to dress formally, business casually, and casually, that led me to think about the cutting-down process.

Braces, I agree, one probably doesn't need more than one or two pairs even if one wears them regularly. (I like to wear them with suits.)

Likewise, with pocket squares one probably only needs one nice white linen one. I love 'squares, however, and managed to take 25 with me knowing that I won't wear all of them here. (Hey, they take up no space, so taking was easier than thinking.)

Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Jeans.

I'm coming around to that point of view, though not the point where I want to get rid of any jeans. While I own probably 20+ pairs of nice jeans, I only took four pairs with me over the summer: some vintage Helmut Lang raw classic cuts, , Earnest Sewn Fulton 50's, a PRPS pair of which I don't know the model, and Nudie Bootcut Olas. Or, for that matter, either the KMW 1950's or 5EP Rocker raw's I left in ATL. In truth I probably could probably have gotten by with just the Fultons or the HL's. Which means, I should've just brought one pair of jeans and then used the extra space for more shoes. But something like raw Nudie Regular Ralfs are distinctive enough that one probably shouldn't wear them all the time.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hells yes! Two color is safest IMO, because a single color generally lacks the diversity to deal with all situations. Back in middle school this was the in thing- teachers held tournaments at their house and anyone with a social life played at least once a week. I quit when I went to high school for the aforementioned social reasons.

On topic: I'm trying to get this figured out right now actually. It's especially difficult for someone who owns a sartorially inexcusable wardrobe, but doesn't have the resources to fix it. My old clothes are all too big, baggy, or simply don't get worn anymore, but I don't anything to replace them with. It's also really hard to dump them after the money that I dropped in to them (probably totals less than a good suit, but it still gets expensive...).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingCaru