• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best one-stop shop clothing brands/stores to build up a complete wardrobe of high quality classic menswear?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
David Reeves used to have MTM and within your budget but that was 15 years ago so who knows now

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
though, honestly, do you want the English look or just "Saville Row" just because? I would get that answer straighten out first. There are a lot CM stuff these days, but structured RTW is just really not as much of a thing at the moment (at least on the CM proper side).

edit: and probably don't bother with Aquascutum, Hackett, Gieves & Hawkes, Cording RTW. If Kilgour still have RTW then I would take a look, it used to be slightly sharper version of Richard James (slanted pocket, one button), Ozwald Boateng used to be fashion ish no idea if it's still even around...

Last edited:

henrip

Reaction score
Huntsman seem to have store in NY as well.

I was a bit surprised that J. Mueser was not mentioned yet. I’d visit the Huntsman, RL Purple label, the Armoury and J. Mueser in NY and try on as many clothes as possible and talk to staff to figure out which style suits my body best and find styles I feel most comfortable with.

moltoelegante

Reaction score
For that price range, I would be spending my money on bespoke suits which offer more choice, better fit and closer match to personal taste than any RTW brand. Savile Row tailors are over this budget but there are other excellent tailors who are in your price range. Some of them travel as well.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would nail down the style first though, if he doesn’t like certain type of shoulder it would kick out a good chunk of the Italians (though they can accommodate up to certain degree too, so again really depends on what kind of jacket OP wants)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Huntsman seem to have store in NY as well.

I was a bit surprised that J. Mueser was not mentioned yet. I’d visit the Huntsman, RL Purple label, the Armoury and J. Mueser in NY and try on as many clothes as possible and talk to staff to figure out which style suits my body best and find styles I feel most comfortable with.

Huntsman NYC is bespoke and it’s going to be way over budget

Edit: J. Mueser’s shoulder is also definitely not English though

Edit2: for Armoury Ring Jacket I suppose one can do Model 1 and Model 4 as suppose to the other mostly Model 3 derived. Though think Model 1 and 4 has to be MTO/MTM only

Last edited:

newuser22333

Reaction score
Thank you for everyone's responses. As far as the style goes, yes I am looking for very structured shoulders with tapered waists which is why I used Huntsman to give an idea of what I was looking for. I wasn't quite looking to get into bespoke yet as that's very expensive and quite unnecessary for me as someone with a 'normal' body frame as I fit very easily into RTW so I was manly looking for RTW or MTM.

I am checking out the websites of all the suggested shops everyone recommended and I am going to try to put together a list of which of them offer the structured look I am looking for. I plan on taking a trip to both NYC and London to see these shops in person I am just trying to get a preliminary list in order so I know which shops would be best for me before I go. If any shops offered RTW that would also be great as I could just order online (again I have a very normal body frame I fit into size medium perfectly in almost everything I try on which is why I wasn't quite looking at bespoke as it just seemed so unnecessary for someone like me) and have it shipped kind of like what I was seeing with the RTW with Huntsman.

It seems that the modern day trend is following the "italian soft" style of suit jackets/blazers which brands like Brunello Cucinelli have really captured on. This trend has spread to almost all the common luxury suiting brands and tailoring brands that I could find which is quite unfortunate for someone like me who is seeking out that traditional structured jacket look as it seems very few shops are making jackets in that style these days. This is why I wasn't looking very much at many of the Italian brands as I knew they would be very unstructured and more 'casual' .

I did check out Purple Label that would probably be the easiest, simplest decision as I could just upgrade everything and most of their jackets/suits are decently structured and I would already know my size but I was just looking for other options. Edward Sexton I checked out which I also liked a lot as their clothes had very structured looks and lots of RTW which is great. Does anyone know if the Huntsman in NYC offers MTM not bespoke?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why not just call them and ask? oh almost forgot, maybe you can order Kingsman online from MrPorter as well, their very first season was done by Thom Sweeney, no idea about now though.

Dunhill would be structured as well, their suit model Belgrave has a very specific clean look, though on top of my head I think lapel is on the skinny side.

Husband Paris has various model, some of wider lapel without going full 70s (I don't know about their return policies, they can run slim, I MTO with them to got what I want).

I like Thom Sweeney, it won't look like Edward Sexton or Huntsman but it would be more English than the rest Italians (but you do have to look around different model, also might have to MTO, I think their default pants are too slim, leg opening is like sub 7.5in on size 30 waist).

And of course not all Italian are "soft soft", I suppose Brioni on sale might still hit your budget easily.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enter here:

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpeg
    IMG_0538.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 496

HRH_David

Reaction score
Hello. So I was looking to build up a complete wardrobe think like savile-row style of like fine tailored suits, tailored shirts, cashmere knitwear, quality side-adjuster trousers, overcoats, fine shoes, etc....? I was trying to find a quality high end classic-style menswear brand that makes good quality clothing that's kind of like a one-stop shop as I generally like to stick to just a few brands.....any suggestions? For instance I was looking at Huntsman on Savile Row and they seemed to offer what I like and they seemed pretty good however I'm located in the US. My wardrobe right now consists of mostly ralph lauren which is decent quality but I'm really looking to take it to the next level up. Budgets for each items would be as follows:
Suits: Up to $4000 but would prefer under $3000 per suit
Jackets/Blazers: Up to $2000 per jacket
Dress Shirts: Up to $500 per shirt
Trousers: Up to $500 per trousers
Sweaters: Up to $500 per sweater
Shoes: Up to $1000 per shoes
I am very impressed and a bit envious of your goal. I know that you will be successful. I must mention that Syd Jerome in Chicago would be a very good option. I am not a client, however, I work near the store, in the Financial District. They have wonderful men's clothing and the staff seem very dedicated and affable. I have taken a friend there and we had a good time. It is always in the back of my mind that I should shop there. I am able to get by with Nordstrom and I order all of my shoes from Trickers and Crockett & Jones by using their websites. I was fitted in both stores in London and this helps.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: Syd Jerome. May be a great retailer, but a brief look
at their website indictes that they mostly sell mid to upper
range RTW Italian clothing plus Samuelsohn. Nothing remotely
like the Huntsman style.

bluespirit

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommand buying RTW items from a tailoring house (except suits/jackets/trousers of course) unless price is not an issue or you're fond of a particular style. RTW lines are generally not produced on site but outsourced to external factories, and you'll pay the margin.

Buy your suit from a tailoring house, and other RTW items directly from those factories (see below).

If you're interested in British style:
- Suits: Davies & Son, Henry Poole & Co., Huntsman, Dege & Skinner, Kilgour, Anderson & Sheppard, Welsh & Jefferies, Maurice Sedwell;
- Dress shirts: Turnbull & Asser, Hilditch & Key, Budd, Margaret Howell, Emma Willis (I think Italian shirtmakers have a better price/quality ratio but you asked for a savile-row style);
- Dress shoes: Crockett & Jones, Paul Sargent (or John Lobb/Edward Green/Gaziano & Girling on sale/second-hand since the retail price of those three brands is above 1,000$);
- Knitwear: Johnstons of Elgin, William Lockie, Hawico, John Smedley;
- Outerwear: Peregrine, Mackintosh, Barbour (made in UK lines), Cooper & Stollbrand (sold under the Private White V.C. retail label). I've not tried Grenfell, Gloverall, Lavenham, John Partridge and Chrysalis but those are also reputable brands;
- Accessories: Dents (made in UK lines) or Chester Jefferies for gloves; James Lock & Co. for hats (you can also search for Stetson, Herbert Johnson, Bates, or Failsworth); Globe-Trotter or Mossman for luggage; Swaine & Adeney, Tusting, Connolly, Ettinger, or Launer for leathergoods; Floris, Creed, Atkinson's, or Penhaligon's for perfumes; Holliday & Brown, or Drake's for ties; James Smith & Sons, Brigg & Sons, or Fox Umbrellas for umbrellas.

You could also look at RTW items from New & Lingwood, Dunhill, or DAKS if you like a particular style.

All of the brands listed above are quintessential to the British upper-class culture.

Avoid: Church's, Aquascutum, and Gieves & Hawkes, unless you find second-hand items manufactured in the 20th century (the quality has declined).

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
- Suits: Davies & Son, Henry Poole & Co., Huntsman, Dege & Skinner, Kilgour, Anderson & Sheppard, Welsh & Jefferies, Maurice Sedwell

These guy are all over $4k for suit right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads